Thread: Curious 🙄

Gastric Sleeve Member Nouranaly1's Avatar
    Last Activity
    07-16-2018 05:08 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Curious 🙄

Hi all, my name is Nouran and I’m 23 yrars old from Cairo, Egypt. I'm really happy to have found a platform that hopefully will help me answer all the questions I have in mind!

I haven’t done the surgery yet but I would like to know some stuff. First, Does the benifits outweigh the side effects?
    2- Will I stil be able go drink after surgery? Im not a heavy drinker but just in case im going to?
    3- what about the excess skin problem? How to resolve that later on?
    4- how long does it take to be back to your normal daily activities and back to work and so on?
    5- I heard that you’ll feel weak and tired all the time, is that true?

Oh and btw, I’m 63 KG overweight.
    Thanks in advance!

2. The following 19 users said welcome Nouranaly1 to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Curious 🙄

I really had no side effects, I was lucky. I went from obese to a normal BMI, so YES the benefits outweigh any side effects! I am at my 4th summer in the same clothes, priceless!

Drinking will be your choice. Some people can handle alcohol, some can't. My doctor didn't recommend drinking for the first year because of the empty calories. While I drink, I drink much less than before because of my little tummy. (I can't drink like everyone else!)

I always think the skin question is funny. Would you prefer being fat or having some extra skin that hides under clothes? Extra skin is also something that varies; being young you will have less a problem than us older folks. Exercise will help too. I have some extra skin around my tummy area, but no one sees it under clothes. My stomach looks flat. If you lose all your weight and do have a lot, you could elect to have plastic surgery. My doctor recommends a year at goal before going that direction.

Took me 2 weeks before going back to work, no problem.

Whoever told you you would feel weak and tired all the time is not telling the truth. The truth is the opposite, you will feel so much more energetic when you are at a normal size. You may feel weak immediately after surgery, but it gets better every day. I am strong enough to climb mountains! (Just hiked to the top of a mountain at my favorite ski resort!)

5. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I echo what Susan said! I have more energy and better health than I did at 45 (I'm 66) and while I have a bit of excess skin, it's not a problem. My legs, midriff and tummy area have come back nicely. The upper arms, not so much, but then I don't do any weights or anything to tighten them.

I think many people here (the younger ones) have very good results with their skin returning to "normal". And again, fat does fill out wrinkles and skin, but is that what we want?

You'll find your way. Nothing adds life to your health more than normal weight. Normal for you. Whatever that number ends up being.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nouranaly1 View Post
    Hi all, my name is Nouran and I’m 23 yrars old from Cairo, Egypt. I'm really happy to have found a platform that hopefully will help me answer all the questions I have in mind!

I haven’t done the surgery yet but I would like to know some stuff. First, Does the benifits outweigh the side effects?
    2- Will I stil be able go drink after surgery? Im not a heavy drinker but just in case im going to?
    4- how long does it take to be back to your normal daily activities and back to work and so on?

Oh and btw, I’m 63 KG overweight.
    Thanks in advance!
    1. The benefits definitely outweigh the side effects.
    I actually can't think of many side effects.
    I feel better now than I ever did.

2. I have not touched alcohol yet and I am 1,5 years out.
    I am very happy with my Virgin Mary or a cute glass with something, with a little umbrella.
    Personally I think this is never an excuse to not have this surgery.

3. What do you prefer?
    Being healthy or have extra skin?
    This is a no-brainer for me...
    Being overweight ultimately will cause life threatening conditions...

4. It varies from one person to another.
    Some need two weeks, others need two months.

5. Weak and tired all the time?
    Nonsense.
    Right after surgery it will take you a couple of days, but after that you will have more energy than before.

Best of luck on your decision!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome Nouran! Here are my answers to your questions.
    1. Do the benefits outweigh the side effects?
    --I did not really have any issues. There is some discomfort in the beginning. I did have to take an antacid for a few months but that was it really.
    --I drink probably about once a month with no issues. (And sometimes a bit much.) I wasn't a big drinker pre op.
    --I don't have too much loose skin. I think if you exercise, stay hydrated, eat properly, and take your vitamins it won't be too bad. Time also helps. I have noticed mine got better in time. Obviously age and genetics have something to do with it as well but those factors are out of our control. If it is too bad, there is always skin removal surgery.
    --I took 1 week off of work but I have a desk job. I was a bit tired earlier in the evening but in time it gets better. The key is getting enough protein, taking your vitamins (especially B12), and staying hydrated.
    --I did not. The first week I was tired and took little naps off and on. I never really felt weak. As for when I was back to full energy I would say in a few weeks.

Hope this helps. Just know that everyone can give their experience but we are all different and there is no way to know for sure how this surgery will affect you.

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents