08/21/2018
    Last Activity
    01-27-2024 04:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Anything you wished you knew before your surgery

Hi everyone! I hope I'm not pestering you too much. My surgery is scheduled in a month and I have a few questions.

1) Is there anything you wished you knew about before your surgery that might have made your recovery easier?
    2) Would you change anything if you could do it over?
    3) What was/is the hardest part about the surgery and the lifestyle changes?
    4) What meds or supplies should I get to see me through the first few days after my surgery?

Thank you all so much for any replies and suggestions!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Last Activity
    08-21-2022 11:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 265 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 209 Times

Default Re: Anything you wished you knew before your surgery

1) Is there anything you wished you knew about before your surgery that might have made your recovery easier? Not to be embarassed to call the doctor no matter how crazy your question is. It's better to get the right answer than worry something is wrong when what you're feeling is normal. With me it was nausea but not like anything I had ever experienced. The doctor's office knew right away what I was describing.

2) Would you change anything if you could do it over? I would not change a thing.

3) What was/is the hardest part about the surgery and the lifestyle changes? I can't say there were hard changes. If anything the surgery made it much easier to stick with the eating plan. Even when I did decide I wanted something not very healthy I was limited to a few ounces.

4) What meds or supplies should I get to see me through the first few days after my surgery? Ask your doctor's office. Everyone is different after surgery and don't waste money buying something you think you might need if you have someone that can make a drug store run for you post surgery.

Good luck!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi.
    1) Is there anything you wished you knew about before your surgery that might have made your recovery easier? Not really, I had researched pretty thoroughly and my surgeon was great with all the information.
    2) Would you change anything if you could do it over? Yep, have had it years ago!
    3) What was/is the hardest part about the surgery and the lifestyle changes? Nothing hard. Life is a breeze now. Constantly learning about my body and it's needs. This tool is terrific.
    4) What meds or supplies should I get to see me through the first few days after my surgery? As above listen to your surgeon. Don't buy too big a quantity of anything as your tastes may change afterwards. Take things easy, be kind to yourself. Try something different if something isn't working for you ie warm drinks instead of cold.
    Lots of great advice on here. Please ask if you come across a specific problem.

Good luck.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/21/2018
    Last Activity
    01-27-2024 04:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank you!

Surgery date
    04/09/2018
    Surgeon
    Roy Cobean MD
    Last Activity
    02-16-2021 08:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

1) Is there anything you wished you knew about before your surgery that might have made your recovery easier? I had an easy recovery and felt prepared, but this was not my first surgery. I always got extreme nausea after surgeries and advocated for myself to have anti-nausea medication ready and waiting. I repeated often to everyone who asked so I would not vomit while in the hospital.
    2) Would you change anything if you could do it over? The only change I would have made was the timing. I should not have wasted 10-15 years of yo yo dieting and being miserable and should have done it sooner.
    3) What was/is the hardest part about the surgery and the lifestyle changes? The hardest part for me is the lifestyle change of having to eat every 3 hours. Food does not hold me over like it used to. But that's just me, I get hungry a lot and need to be prepared with snacks and meals.
    4) What meds or supplies should I get to see me through the first few days after my surgery? Stick to the basic list through a search on here, you will figure out soon enough what feels right for you when you get home as far as food goes.
    My number one advice is to stick to your doctors orders and guidance and don't move ahead on the stages even is you think you are ready. There is a reason why they want you to stick to the plan.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    05/07/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Troy Houseworth
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 03:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 158 Times
    Was Thanked 128 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

1) Is there anything you wished you knew about before your surgery that might have made your recovery easier? I had an amazingly GOOD recovery. Had prepared myself well through lots of research.
    2) Would you change anything if you could do it over? No, not a thing!
    3) What was/is the hardest part about the surgery and the lifestyle changes? Losing the "I need to eat that" mentality. I stood at the store a few days ago 'eyeing' a bag of Cheetos. Had a conversation inside that I could just get a small bag. To which I replied they would taste too salty I bet. Then remembered how GREAT I feel since surgery and changing my eating habits and realized it's not worth it for the moment of eating the junk. I did NOT buy the Cheetos, I'm proud to say
    4) What meds or supplies should I get to see me through the first few days after my surgery? A lot of people recommended Biotene spray and Gas-X strips....I got both and didn't use either! Propel Zero, Vitamin Water Zero & plain water got me through clear liquids. I also liked warm broth & hot tea, they felt soothing. Smooth Move tea helped with relieving the constipation from the pain meds, that and I added a little Benefiber a couple times. I found walking and lying on my left side plus heating pad on my left shoulder helpful in dissipating the gas from surgery. The hospital I had my surgery at gave me a whole sleeve of 1 oz cups....when I came home I filled 10 up and put them on a plate on the end table next to me; helped me out to visualize how much I was sipping through the day.

Best to you on your journey!

HW 2016=310
    SW 5/7/18= 274

4 weeks=241.6
    8 weeks=225.0
    12 weeks=214.8
    16 weeks=205.6
    20 weeks=198.6
    24 weeks=193.2

6 Mos check-up w/Surgeon: 11/13/2018=189
    28 weeks=187
    32 weeks=181.2
    36 weeks=174
    39 weeks + 2 days=169.8 = GOAL!

40 weeks=168
    44 weeks=163
    48 weeks=160.4
    51 weeks; day of 1-yr appt w/surgeon=159.4
    54 weeks=154

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

1) Is there anything you wished you knew about before your surgery that might have made your recovery easier?
    I did think I would be tired but I didn't realise how tired. Just be ready to embrace that and nap a lot.
    I would have maybe had it earlier but then again I am pleased I had a healthy eating plan and fitness plan in place long term before so maybe it was exactly the right time.
    At first the nausea was tricky but I had lots of ondensatron so that fixed that. The tiredness was the hardest for me as I am a very get up and go person, having the patience to recover was a work in progress but I embraced it well!
    4) What meds or supplies should I get to see me through the first few days after my surgery?
    The doc should give you take home meds but I did find gaviscon liquid handy a couple of times. I wish I had taken herbal fruit tea bags into hospital as it was so comforting to drink warm tea so try that!
    You are never a bother so ask as many questions as you can :-)

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-14-2021 08:29 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

When I had my surgery, I never thought about nausea and vomiting effect after a day of my surgery. I can't forget that feeling, it's indeed hard for me.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Hiya Barby!
    --A heating pad and a body pillow are your best friend for sleeping comfortably.
    --I would have taken the plunge sooner. I would not have bought a huge expensive bag of protein powder before my surgery. My taste buds changed post op and I ended up throwing away a $55 bag of protein mix because I no longer liked it.
    --Not drinking when eating.
    --A good antacid like Pepcid AC. A liquid pain med and anti nausea. My surgeon prescribed me both.

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

1) Is there anything you wished you knew about before your surgery that might have made your recovery easier That it wasn't a hard surgery, and I didn't need to stress about recovery.
    2) Would you change anything if you could do it over? I would do it 10 years sooner, even if we paid out of pocket
    3) What was/is the hardest part about the surgery and the lifestyle changes? Nothing about the surgery itself. Eating slowly is/has always been difficult for me. Busy schedule, 4 kids, career, church -- and its a habit. I'm retired so no excuse not to eat slowly. That and drinking enough liquids during the day, instead of waiting till evening and having to get up at night!
    4) What meds or supplies should I get to see me through the first few days after my surgery? I found chicken bone broth (not the lemongrass one) to be great; sugar free jello; sugar free applesauce, Premier Protein shakes.

You'll do well!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!