Last Activity
    03-17-2019 07:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default An Introduction - a struggle - hopefully a healthier me

Hi there,

I'm not sure what to say/omit here.

Like most here, I've always struggled with my weight/guilt/shame - the cycle is endless. I've been as low as 180, all muscle and as high as 275 (current). I'm a very emotional eater and know all of the ways to both gain and lose weight. I've done it countless times. Heart health has always been an issue in my family, with people having heart attacks in their 30s (my age), all weighing significantly less than I do. I've done weight watchers, medifast, exercised, not exercised, paleo, etc. Every time, I lose the weight, AND QUICKLY! I've always lost weight quickly and gained lean muscle like a freak, but I also can get fat in a hurry. It wasn't until meeting with my doctor and nurse, that I was told that this is largely genetic, since many people struggle to lose/gain or really move the needle on their weight. I'm just an expert at it I've always hidden it well because I am a large man. I'm only 6 ft. but everything about me is big. - hands, ribcage lol, you name it. I'm just built that way. I guess you could say it is part of my personality. I wear flannels, have a scratchy face and I'm bald and big - I sort of own it - meanwhile I feel grossly overweight, can't catch my breath and have chest pains. So here I am, cleared for surgery.

I'm worried about the work time I'll miss. I'm a psychotherapist and hate the idea of missing my private practice (purely for $elfish reasons).

My biggest fear is that I've found a way EVERY TIME to gain all my weight back.

My other issue is that I've been awful at the pre surgery diet. I don't mean the immediate pre surgery/liquid diet, but the 3 months of meeting with a dietician to reprogram everything. I just can't get into it because I've done it differently for 35 years and don't feel like a sudden change will stick any more than it has before (not drinking while eating, weighing all my food etc.). I just cannot get into it. I've been losing about 2 pounds a month moderately engaging in it, but I haven't adapted the whole regiment because, let's face it, I still have my entire stomach!

Did anyone else struggle with all of the routines before surgery? Again, I don't mean the few weeks before - I can follow rules well and don't worry about liquid diets etc. But did anyone else feel like crap because they can't magically make their eating habits healthy or they have done it so many times that they don't have the fire to do it before surgery?

Anyway, that's me.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Default Re: An Introduction - a struggle - hopefully a healthier me

Welcome aboard!

I'm similar to you in the way I felt about myself prior to surgery. I didn't have a real hard time with the routine and diet pre, but mostly because I wanted to have the surgery so much that I was determined not to derail myself. My decision to have surgery came more from the health problems I was having and the fact that I have two young children. I was terrified that I was going to eat myself to death and that I wouldn't be around to raise them. I did the roller coaster weight loss / gain thing for 20 + years prior to surgery though and had my doubts then and still have them now.

I was / still am a total stress eater. I work out daily now as an alternative to eating, but when I'm stressed I can literally feel the pull of the refrigerator and the snack drawer in my house.

All in all I have no regrets, but I still struggle daily with the whole relationship with food concept.

I hope you are successful in your journey!

Hope this helps!
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I only missed 2 weeks of work.

The best thing about the sleeve is you've finally found a way to actually lose weight and keep it off. It works where nothing else did. We've all been where you are so understand your feelings.

For me, nothing was a struggle, I was so excited to not be the fat person in the room anymore. It was fun to finally learn how to eat, and once learned, it became a habit I rarely think about. It was more than fun to watch the pounds drop and inches disappear. And now I'm living my 4th summer at goal weight, healthy and happy, PRICELESS!

You'll do great!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome.
    I only missed 2 weeks of work also. Having a desk job I possibly could have gone back after a week but I had plenty of sick leave to cover the 2 weeks and I took the time to get to grips with my new routine. Also this was the first (and hopefully only) general anesthetic that I have had so wanted to give myself time to get over it.
    There was only 1 month between me deciding that WLS was the way I needed to go, meeting with the surgeon, and my actual surgery. I was self funded so there were no months of pre diet, just 3 weeks of Optifast pre surgery to shrink my liver. That was actually the hardest part of the whole process but as this was something that I wanted/needed to do I made sure that I followed the instructions to the letter. That included after the surgery and to this day. My loss has slowed down now (10 months out) as expected, but I am still losing.
    I am loving the new me. Every day is fantastic and still can't quite believe the small sizes of clothing that I can now buy. Not to mention how much energy I have.
    As we all know this is a tool. It most certainly works, but you do have to buy into the whole process and change your eating habits. If you do that you will never look back!

Good luck.

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome, and thank you for being so open and honest. I am not 6 feet tall, but often felt growing taller would have worked better than the yo yo I did. I did not have to do all the hoops prior to surgery,, since with self pay went two weeks from consult to surgery. I think self pay was highly motivating in terms of success because the per pound price was huge.

The benefits to my health have been life changing; down to 4 meds from 17 in 9 months. Down to 122 today from way big. BUT I still have emotional eating thinking, although I don't do it. I journal. It's not the best answer for the impulse, but even if I wanted to eat a bunch, I get toad froth if I eat too fast, small amounts. I really didn't feel like anything was worse than throwing up, but toad froth is!

I think you'll do well, once you get the parameters. And 2 weeks is probably about right to be out. I was way more tired than I expected.

But its a group and you'll find lots of help.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member The North Sleeve's Avatar
    Name
    Mike
    Surgery date
    04/20/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Luthra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2019 05:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 79 Times in 63 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 266 Times
    Blog Entries

I changed my entire mind set. I realized this would be the only way I could keep weight off. I have been heavy my entire life and I looked at it like I had an addiction similar to an alcoholic. I figured the only way I would lose and stay thin (or thinner) would be to have the surgery. So far it has been going great and I do not regret it for one minute.

I feel this entire process is about 80% mind control. If you can keep your mind set on your goals and keep away from unhealthy foods, one should do just fine. Best of luck to you on your journey!!
    The North Sleeve (youtube channel) Come view my journey

Click Here >>>>>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA9...J4yMqFXxkl6WzA

VSG Surgery April 20, 2018
    Height 6'2
    High Weight 354 lbs
    Surgery Weight 333 lbs

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member tonewbeginnings's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/02/2018
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Hi Jesse, I too struggled with the dietician's recommendation in the months before surgery. Like any good addict I kept thinking I better have this food I'm craving b/c I'm not going to get to have this afterwards and then felt guilty for that way of thinking when I was about to enter into WLS Of course the irony is that if I was able to eat how the dietician recommended I probably wouldn't be needing this surgery in the first place. But when it came to the pre-surgery 2 week liquid diet I strictly followed it b/c I knew that that would shrink my liver and make for better visualization during the surgery. (Plus it gets rid of sugar urges and decreases your appetite). As far as recovery goes most peoples accounts seems like they are feeling better after a couple of weeks. For myself I am very slow to recover after surgeries but I knew this going into it and indeed it took me 4 weeks until I really felt better. But I work at home and was able to start short bursts of work by week 3. I would imagine being a psychotherapist you have control over your schedule and could go back after a few weeks on a limited basis at first to see how your tolerance is and increase your patient load from there. I am only 2 months post op but after dropping 40 lbs I feel so much better than I did before surgery. I too felt grossly overweight, out of breath, always hot and sweaty and with severe joint pain with very limited physical mobility. I was very depressed and felt hopeless. Now I feel hopeful and that in itself is miraculous. I have had to work hard on the emotional part though since you do have to change your relationship with food and I would imagine that this will be an ongoing struggle but I feel like I have a strong tool on my side now.

I wish you all the best in your journey.

Highest Weight: 259
    Surgery Weight: 245 (-14)
    1 MO: 227 (-32)
    2 MO: 216 (-43)
    3 MO: 205 (-54)
    4 MO: 198 (-61)
    5 MO: 192 (-67)
    6 MO: 191 (-68)
    7 MO: 186 (-73)
    8 MO: 187 (-72)
    9 MO: 184 (-75)
    10 MO: 185 (-74)
    11 MO: 186 (-73)
    12 MO:

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Jesse, Also think you will do great. Having the sleeve really helps ;-)

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I didn't really try to follow any rules during my insurance requirements because I could not drop below a certain weight and still qualify for surgery. So I just maintained. I did follow my pre op, though. I only missed one week of work and had no real issues going back. I have a desk job. I was tired a bit on the earlier side at night, though for a bit. Overall, my energy levels were decent compared to some people. I did take vitamins, though. Multi vitamin, B12, D3, Calcium Citrate, and Biotin. Good luck and welcome!

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Jesse, welcome.

I don't have time to type a lot right now, but if you read the three "surgiversary" links below in my signature block you can see how I did after a lifetime of yo-yo dieting.

Spoiler alert: You have had a LOT of experience at trying to manage your weight. That's just what some people call "failing." Seriously, I think your past experience is going to be incredibly helpful to you as a WLS patient. Please believe us when we say that this CAN become your path to permanent health and weight control. So many, many more people achieve that goal through WLS than through dieting alone. And, as you probably already know, the sleeve is far from the only tool you'll need to use to attain that goal. That's why all your "failure" gives you a big advantage.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

18. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/22/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr.Binetti
    Last Activity
    03-17-2019 07:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Thank you all - so much to take in.

Also - I'm not worried about the "real" pre-op diet. I can follow any rules necessary. It's the "pre-pre-op" that I struggle with. Don't drink while eating, weigh all my food etc. - I just no longer have the fire to do that - I've done it all so many times and never maintained it. So the idea of doing it before surgery, before everything goes haywire, seems bonkers. If I was amazing at maintaining all these guidelines then I wouldn't be in this situation in the first place.

I'm really concerned because daily workout is not going to be part of my life right now, like it has been in the past. I have a 5 and 2 year old and my wife's job is around the clock - so this point in my life it's not really feasible - outside of taking walks with my kids - but it's not like I have a list of people to drop my kids off with every day so I can go to the gym, after my work day. Obviously, as my kids get a little older, it'll be much easier to fit that in - but all of my exercise, I have to cram in during lunch hour at work, walking around campus etc.