05/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Fawole
    Said "Thanks" 62 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Think I will be one of the ones who fail :(

I have lost 22lbs since my surgery almost 6 weeks ago but haven't lost anything of significance since week 4. I went away for 12 days to Greece in week 3 and although I ate very little and walked for miles, I only lost 4lbs while we were away and nothing since then.

I was quite depressed today about my weight and this operation. I think I am going to fail at it

I am not eating out of hunger as I haven't actually felt the hunger yet, just a vague empty feeling now and again. I haven't lost any weight at all in a week, this is very telling for me.

I have realised I no longer have that bad restriction. Its as though my stomach has suddenly got bigger overnight, I tested it with some rice and chilli and was able to eat 5 dessert spoons before I felt ill. I literally couldn't eat another bite at first when the restriction kicked in, now I can and its only slightly uncomfortable, nowhere near the pain threshold I had previously, this is worrying to me. On the one hand its great that I can eat a little more but on the other, its a scary, and very slippy slope.

Today we had a bbq and I I was very surprised to find that I could eat 4 beautiful juicy prawns and a full sausage without the full feeling kicking in. When we last had a bbq a couple of weeks ago, I only ate half a sausage and a quarter of a burger.
    I have definitely healed a bit more in my stomach area which must be why I can eat more.

I'm making a conscious effort to drink at least 2 litres/ 8 glasses of liquids a day and I have at least 60 grams of protein every day as well. I am not exercising much at the moment, just taking a daily walk.
    From reading lots of posts, hundreds of people on the internet have all lost at least 100lbs (7 stone) over a year to 18 months. Maybe I am judging it a bit too quick and my body is still adjusting to the weight loss but it is so depressing to me that I could fail. I do understand that I could be one of the slow losers, I do understand that I could be in a stall. I really need to get my act together, it can't be just me that it doesn't work for!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Think I will be one of the ones who fail :(

First of all, change your attitude. Thinking "I think I am going to fail at it" could easily turn into fact. A positive attitude will take you to goal weight, I promise! I would say my attitude (enjoying every moment) was the most important part of my weight loss journey.

Second, hide your scale. Your weight will fluctuate. If it messes with your head, you don't need your scale. You're only 6 weeks out, at that stage I was just starting "real" food.

Third, eat how you were taught to with a sleeve. Protein first, then veggies, then a little carbs if room. Now probably isn't the time for a sandwich. Exercise. (Walking IS exercise, increase your speed and/or distance.). Set small goals. You can do this!

The further out from surgery, the more you can eat, so try to stick with dense protein now, like a chicken breast. I doubt at 6 weeks you can eat a whole chicken breast. The restriction is there, as long as you are eating the right foods. I still have restriction and my surgery was almost 5 years ago. It isn't there for junk food, but it sure is there when I eat how I should. It sounds like you are eating just to eat, and that needs to stop. (Sorry about the tough love.)

You can do this! Once you adapt to your new healthy lifestyle it's like second nature, something you don't even think about.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

It sounds to me like you're working pretty hard at failing.

How's about working just as hard at succeeding?

You can fail. Or succeed.

Totally your choice.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Professor Bulbuller
    Last Activity
    03-05-2020 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 166 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alisonjayne View Post
    I have lost 22lbs since my surgery almost 6 weeks ago but haven't lost anything of significance since week 4. I went away for 12 days to Greece in week 3 and although I ate very little and walked for miles, I only lost 4lbs while we were away and nothing since then.

I was quite depressed today about my weight and this operation. I think I am going to fail at it

Reason being, I have realised that I can eat whatever I want, it just takes a lot longer to do it, this is shocking and sad to me. For instance, I can make a sandwich, eat a third, wait half an hour or a bit longer, then carry on eating, depressing. This seems to apply to any food except possibly meat. I realised that I could easily eat more than 1200 calories just by eating every hour rather than having a meal then feeling satisfied and not eating again for at least three hours. I am so mixed up and confused about this, and so sad.

I am not eating out of hunger as I haven't actually felt the hunger yet, just a vague empty feeling now and again. I haven't lost any weight at all in a week, this is very telling for me.

I have realised I no longer have that bad restriction. Its as though my stomach has suddenly got bigger overnight, I tested it with some rice and chilli and was able to eat 5 dessert spoons before I felt ill. I literally couldn't eat another bite at first when the restriction kicked in, now I can and its only slightly uncomfortable, nowhere near the pain threshold I had previously, this is worrying to me. On the one hand its great that I can eat a little more but on the other, its a scary, and very slippy slope.

Today we had a bbq and I I was very surprised to find that I could eat 4 beautiful juicy prawns and a full sausage without the full feeling kicking in. When we last had a bbq a couple of weeks ago, I only ate half a sausage and a quarter of a burger.
    I have definitely healed a bit more in my stomach area which must be why I can eat more.

I'm making a conscious effort to drink at least 2 litres/ 8 glasses of liquids a day and I have at least 60 grams of protein every day as well. I am not exercising much at the moment, just taking a daily walk.
    From reading lots of posts, hundreds of people on the internet have all lost at least 100lbs (7 stone) over a year to 18 months. Maybe I am judging it a bit too quick and my body is still adjusting to the weight loss but it is so depressing to me that I could fail. I do understand that I could be one of the slow losers, I do understand that I could be in a stall. I really need to get my act together, it can't be just me that it doesn't work for!
    Hold on a minute
    Firstly Hello Alison

I too am from the UK. Yay!!
    And I also went on holiday to UK (live in Turkey) now. It was at 5 weeks post op - I hardly eat a thing as I could not manage much at my parents I bought the right food and I really eat less at that point than ever. The resistance was very high.
    I lost nothing for nearly 3 weeks then it started up again.

I continued knowing it would stop and start.
    Lay off the bread!
    Do as sraebaer says she is right!
    I know that this will only work if I make healthy choices, but they can be so delicious too.
    How about chicken or my favourite fish with vegetables.

Don't go back later either wait till next meal time before you try and eat something again.
    Stalls are common - go with it.

I asked my surgeon if anyone had ever failed with him. He said 2 out of 1000's why?
    One was or became an alcoholic - the other drank syrup from baklava (pure sugar) and ate ice cream.
    Slippery slidey foods & yuk !

I have gone forward since end of April to loose sometimes more than others.
    I log everything I eat.
    I wait till its meal time and start with protein.
    All the Best to you.
    Let us know how you get on.

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Right now you are setting yourself up for failure.
    You really need to change your attitude, like sraebar said.
    You are only six weeks out.
    Eat at fixed times and not in between.
    When you are full, you are full.
    Put the food away and don't touch it until it is your next time to eat.
    But I bet you know all of that.
    Log your food, weigh your food, don't put anything in your mouth that you shouldn't.

You are in charge.
    Nobody else.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Fawole
    Said "Thanks" 62 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you for your replies, you all speak wisely. I don't want to fail, obviously, but I am afraid of doing so. Thank you Pudsley for telling me you stalled for three weeks, it helps me put things into perspective.

I agree, I have been eating for eatings sake and it has to stop.

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

There you go girl!
    You can totally do this!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

14. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Professor Bulbuller
    Last Activity
    03-05-2020 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 166 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times
    Blog Entries

That's it Alison,
    It Really will stop and start.
    I do kg on electronic scales
    Let's me know like 76.7 then next day same and then ooohhh 76.5 then nothing then 75.7.
    Helps me so much.
    Also take measurements sometimes no movement on scales and instead there is an inch loss.
    Go for it....
    Xx

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/21/2018
    Last Activity
    01-27-2024 04:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I have not been sleeved yet, still working on being approved. So, I guess I don't really know much about it yet, but my question is, why are you trying to eat things you know you're not supposed to have yet? Just to see if you can!? Common sense tells me don't do this. You may be stretching your sleeve and you may be sabotaging yourself. From what I've read, be patient with yourself. We all don't lose weight the same. Go back to what your dietitian and surgeon told you and don't eat stuff, just because you can. You're liable to mess up your sleeve and lose a wonderful tool. Good luck. Wish me luck, if I'm lucky enough to be approved!

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Have you thought about journaling or counseling? We all ended up with higher weights than good health for a reason, and it sounds like your reason may still be in the way a bit. I've done both and still do the journaling.

I also find if I am annoyed with someone or something, I do want to eat. But I don't. I just don't. And you've figured out its a choice, not a need right now. I track all my food on MyPlate (LiveStrong free app); I purged every big size as I "under grew" it. There is NO going back.

And failing? You don't sound like someone who would chose to fail or you wouldn't have posted! You can do this!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Gastric Sleeve Member The North Sleeve's Avatar
    Name
    Mike
    Surgery date
    04/20/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Luthra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2019 05:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 79 Times in 63 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 266 Times
    Blog Entries

I think the biggest thing you need to get over is your head hunger. Your mind is telling you to eat like you once did before the sleeve. You have to gain control over that and begin to realize that you don't need to eat as often anymore. This isn't an easy thing to do but I feel it is very important. We all got big for a reason........which is we ate to much and we ate the wrong foods.

Like the others said, try and think positive. This entire process in my opinion is about 80% mind control, if you can do that it seems to work wonders. The stalls we go through can really make you wonder what is going on?? Just realize, most of us get them, it is a normal thing after surgery and they will all go away and YOU will begin to lose just give it time. You are still in the beginning stages it just takes time. Keep your head up and soon you will notice great changes. Best of luck!!
    The North Sleeve (youtube channel) Come view my journey

Click Here >>>>>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA9...J4yMqFXxkl6WzA

VSG Surgery April 20, 2018
    Height 6'2
    High Weight 354 lbs
    Surgery Weight 333 lbs

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by The North Sleeve View Post
    I think the biggest thing you need to get over is your head hunger. Your mind is telling you to eat like you once did before the sleeve. You have to gain control over that and begin to realize that you don't need to eat as often anymore. This isn't an easy thing to do but I feel it is very important. We all got big for a reason........which is we ate to much and we ate the wrong foods.

Like the others said, try and think positive. This entire process in my opinion is about 80% mind control, if you can do that it seems to work wonders. The stalls we go through can really make you wonder what is going on?? Just realize, most of us get them, it is a normal thing after surgery and they will all go away and YOU will begin to lose just give it time. You are still in the beginning stages it just takes time. Keep your head up and soon you will notice great changes. Best of luck!!
    Totally off topic, but what's with the crying Viking and Packer babies?? From a Packer fan.

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member nineohtwo's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Valenzuela
    Last Activity
    02-12-2019 07:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Hi Alison,
    First of all....you can do this, and you took the first (and scary ) step towards a healthier life by having the surgery!
    In my first month post op I lost 19lbs. I was devastated! SO many people tell stories of 20-40 lbs gone; I had my first stall at week 3, and second at 2 months, and third just in May. But I read loads of posts on here, put my scale away and just kept going. My success cannot be compared to others. I have a number of factors that contribute to a slower loss (PCOS, Low BMI). It was really important for me to realize that I shouldn't compare myself to others, and to celebrate small victories.
    I am continually plagued by the thought of not reaching my goals, or re-gaining once I've reached my goals. And I know this is a mind set of trying/failing so many times prior to having VGS - i try to ignore them as much as possible and focus on small wins, non weight loss victories. For me this means trying on a piece of clothing that was tight & having it be loose or too big altogether. It could mean making a salad and being totally satisfied with that small meal (which never happened previous to the surgery). I try and pay attention to my gym routines - how much weight I'm lifting etc. When I started at the gym back at the first february ( I was 6-7 weeks post op and cleared to do so by my physician) I used 5 & 8lb dumbbells. I'm now using 25-30lb dumbbells and doing way more repetitions.
    I just passed my 6 month milestone, and am down 53lbs. I had a stall for the entire month of May - the scale just wouldn't move! I switched up work outs, played with the diet a bit & it still wouldn't move! But I had a taken a picture while out for hike one afternoon and compared it to a pre-surgery photo. The differences are amazing! I look like a different person. I can also start to see the faint outlines of musculature now in my arms and legs. And that is far better motivation than what any scale can tell me.
    My best advice would be to change you're mind set, one small victory at at time. Celebrate those little achievements, and you'll start believing you can do this
    Best of luck on your journey !

Gastric Sleeve Member Juanita62's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    Stephen Archer
    Last Activity
    08-31-2020 09:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 156 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Totally off topic, but what's with the crying Viking and Packer babies?? From a Packer fan.
    I think the Viking baby is laughing

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hey beautiful girl, STOP RIGHT THERE!!!! You can do this, you can. So much great advice above. It is hard when you stall or when you are weighing yourself all the time. You need to be careful of not telling yourself this nonsense about failing.
    PM me if you want and I'll talk some sense into you :-)