Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

Default Gaining quickly!

Hey everybody!! Well, it has been awhile! So many wonderful things have happened! In March I got married to the most wonderful man ever (yes! The one I said doesn’t give a damn about my saggy legs! lol!). However, with that I have picked up the habit of drinking wine every day when I get home because it helps me to wind down after work. Lovely, right? OMG! I have put on nearly 20 lbs in the past year!! I know that has to be it because I haven’t really increased what I eat. I’m really trying to stop-and I don’t have to have it but it’s become a habit and we all know how hard that is to break! I know I need to unwind in a different way-I’m just tired when I get home...and I want to spend time with my adorable hubby...any suggestions are most welcome!!! Hugs to you all!
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gaining quickly!

That's basically 200 extra calories a day. So if the wine is really the reason why you've gained 20 pounds in a year, you know what to do.

But are you sure you're also not less active?

P.S. Are you tracking like (I think?) you used to do and know for sure how many calories (and what kinds) you're taking in?

P.P.S. Congratulations again on your new relationship. Sounds like you and he are very happy.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey Melissa!

Congrats are in order! I 'm glad you found a good man!

I'm also currently dealing with regain. It started with medication (cortisone) during a bad flu episode this winter, then with anti allergy meds in April/May.

The gains are very quick each time, but don't seem to go away as it did before (since the sleeve, because before the sleeve I had to go into strict diet to loose after medication linked gain)..
    There's many things involved when there's a regain, but I'm also sure that drinking could make things worth for me, my metabolism reacts badly to alcohol .

I was watching Dr Weiner's last video yesterday

yesterday and it's interesting....

I know I have to be more strict with my diet, exercise more and I have to get ready for surgery that should help me a lot to focus but this week has been not as successful as planned so far with business lunches and sweets everywhere...I'm losing nothing even if the swelling went down!

I still have 3 weeks to improve my health before my next appointment...because since the regain I'm also dealing with massive water retention and that would be an issue for surgery!

Good luck, keep us posted!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I am not as far out as you so obviously my experience is not the same as yours. If I want to indulge a bit I always counter balance with more exercise. I drink occasionally but not daily so I have no issues with that. Sometimes I do want a sweet like cake or candy. I will have it, but I will make sure I account for the extra calories by taking an extra walk or run.

• Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member The North Sleeve's Avatar
    Name
    Mike
    Surgery date
    04/20/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Luthra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2019 05:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 79 Times in 63 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 266 Times
    Blog Entries

I personally think you are still doing very well. You have lost a lot of weight since your journey first started and you may have got a little side tracked and added a few pounds? You are happy with the new hubby, i'm sure you are still feeling good, especially after the wine ( ha ha). Enjoy and don't worry about it. Just my .02 cents.
    The North Sleeve (youtube channel) Come view my journey

Click Here >>>>>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA9...J4yMqFXxkl6WzA

VSG Surgery April 20, 2018
    Height 6'2
    High Weight 354 lbs
    Surgery Weight 333 lbs

• Said thanks:

• Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Melissa,
    isn't love wonderful? :-)
    I wondered how tall you are and whether you are actually at a perfect weight for your height now? just wondering, you know how some people go a bit underweight and then bob back up to a reasonable weight? Just a thought. If not, ditch that wine for one night on the weekend :-) So great about the love happiness though:-)

• Said thanks:

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    That's basically 200 extra calories a day. So if the wine is really the reason why you've gained 20 pounds in a year, you know what to do.

But are you sure you're also not less active?

P.S. Are you tracking like (I think?) you used to do and know for sure how many calories (and what kinds) you're taking in?

P.P.S. Congratulations again on your new relationship. Sounds like you and he are very happy.
    Thanks so much-I am sooo grateful! My 1st marriage was so unhappy...
    Yes, I do think not being as active is part of it. My new job is very sedentary, which I wanted because I can work longer but the two-edged sword is lack of movement. We bought a treadmill so I just need to get my behind on it. The thing is that exercise never really helped me lose weight before, but maybe my metabolism needs a kickstart again. Menopause is starting to raise its ugly head so that is certainly not helping. I did pretty well last night-no wine. I am just not keeping it in the house. I haven’t been tracking at all, so will start doing that again. I was so used to eating within reason that I didn’t reall have to and never gained for over a year. It is very frustrating, but I have to keep coming back here and make myself more accountabke. Apparently I cannot do this on my own, and doing it again after being so successful is mentally exhausting... Thank you for posting-I so appreciate your words! ��

• Said thanks:

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03 View Post
    Hi Melissa,
    isn't love wonderful? :-)
    I wondered how tall you are and whether you are actually at a perfect weight for your height now? just wondering, you know how some people go a bit underweight and then bob back up to a reasonable weight? Just a thought. If not, ditch that wine for one night on the weekend :-) So great about the love happiness though:-)
    Oh so wonderful! lol!
    I am only 5’2” so I looked great at 117 because I have a very small frame. All of my clothes are tight now. I am gaining in my hips and behind but i just cannot force myself to buy bigger pants. Im just uncomfortable all day long. lol. My penance..you would think that would be motivation enough. I do well during the day and then get home, change into something comfortable and then want to have a glass of wine and chillax. I just have to start exercising again to make my metabolism start working. It is just hard to get in the right mindset again. I feel like I am gearing up for war...ugh...

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Ah it's tricky business! But you have love so hurrah! How about jumping on the treadmill initially just every other day. Do 10 mins the first week, 15 the next week, 20 the next until you are up to a good 30 min fast walking pace every other day. Its a start. Put the TV on and do it before you change into your chillax clothes. Then have one glass of very good red on a weekend :-)
    You can do it! Maybe even try parking further away from work and walking in a distance if that would work? Take the stairs... all the small changes. Its often all those small changes that add up. And come back and tell us how you are getting on! :-)

• Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mbenson5 View Post
    Hey everybody!! Well, it has been awhile! So many wonderful things have happened! In March I got married to the most wonderful man ever (yes! The one I said doesn’t give a damn about my saggy legs! lol!). However, with that I have picked up the habit of drinking wine every day when I get home because it helps me to wind down after work. Lovely, right? OMG! I have put on nearly 20 lbs in the past year!! I know that has to be it because I haven’t really increased what I eat. I’m really trying to stop-and I don’t have to have it but it’s become a habit and we all know how hard that is to break! I know I need to unwind in a different way-I’m just tired when I get home...and I want to spend time with my adorable hubby...any suggestions are most welcome!!! Hugs to you all!
    What Ann2 said -- and on the wine, they are empty calories as we know -- My "go to" for wine is 1 oz wine, and the rest of the glass crystal light. Its sort of sangria-ish.

As to unwinding, yoga, journaling, mindfulness....but kudos for getting back on track. I'm only 10 months out.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Gastric Sleeve Member ShariBerry's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/21/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr, Lopez Corvala
    Last Activity
    06-10-2019 11:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 44 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

It sounds like two things. Less activity due to your new job, and empty calories from wine. I too love to have a glass of wine after work. However, even if I track it and make sure to stay under my calorie goal, I tend to stall when I drink. Its so hard, but the sooner you can break the daily habit the better. Any way you can bump your activity level back up? Can you go for a walk on your lunch hour? Wear a fitbit? Or go for a walk with you significant other after work? For me activity is key, and sitting behind a desk for 10 hours a day does not make that easy, so I have set an alarm on my phone, and force myself to go for a walk rain or shine. Good luck, you have come so far! Congrats on the new relationship.

• Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Melissa, I've been thinking about your situation a bit, because of my own situation over 20 years ago.

After my dear husband and I met and were married over 20 years ago, after the first year of you-know-whatting-many-times-a-day, we also started fluffing out a bit. And kept fluffing out. We were happy. Contented. In love. Safe. And we wanted to spoil each other.

As much as we continued to love and treat each other, it's obvious looking back that we didn't do our respective bodies any health favors in the comfy, lovey-dovey lifestyle we built together. Eventually, he wound up 40 pounds heavier and I wound up 50 pounds heavier. And neither of us had been exactly skinny to begin with.

I'm just saying that the longer this "less active" way of living continues, the more engrained it likely will become for you both.

Let me say very clearly, however, that I have no idea what changes would be appropriate for YOU and for you BOTH, or if the "both" part applies to your situation. But you will be able to figure that out.

BTW, yours is not an uncommon situation. What would be uncommon, however, is that you could nip these 20 pounds in the bud and lose them rather than gaining another 20 pounds in the coming few years. I don't think that would make you very happy, given what you have accomplished since you were sleeved.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

• Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Dr. Felix
    Last Activity
    06-20-2023 02:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 80 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShariBerry View Post
    It sounds like two things. Less activity due to your new job, and empty calories from wine. I too love to have a glass of wine after work. However, even if I track it and make sure to stay under my calorie goal, I tend to stall when I drink. Its so hard, but the sooner you can break the daily habit the better. Any way you can bump your activity level back up? Can you go for a walk on your lunch hour? Wear a fitbit? Or go for a walk with you significant other after work? For me activity is key, and sitting behind a desk for 10 hours a day does not make that easy, so I have set an alarm on my phone, and force myself to go for a walk rain or shine. Good luck, you have come so far! Congrats on the new relationship.
    I feel like I need to take some pages from your book because I need to start exercising every day, "rain or shine". Good for you. I am hoping to build that kind of willpower.

Gastric Sleeve Member ShariBerry's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/21/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr, Lopez Corvala
    Last Activity
    06-10-2019 11:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 44 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Quote Originally Posted by donnahellno View Post
    I feel like I need to take some pages from your book because I need to start exercising every day, "rain or shine". Good for you. I am hoping to build that kind of willpower.
    Hahah. Well Im not even a year out, so you are actually the example I look towards. How did you loose the weight the first time? Do whatever works best for you 8) You can do it.

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieG View Post
    What Ann2 said -- and on the wine, they are empty calories as we know -- My "go to" for wine is 1 oz wine, and the rest of the glass crystal light. Its sort of sangria-ish.

As to unwinding, yoga, journaling, mindfulness....but kudos for getting back on track. I'm only 10 months out.

Holy smokes, look how great you are doing! Great job! Yes, getting back on track is no small feat. Even with 20 lbs to lose, it sometimes feels insurmountable. I have come home and exercised the past 2 days so feel like I am at least making progress. I are well too-stayed pretty much on track. I am off until Monday so that will be easier to work out. I am traveling next week so will really have to stay focused. Take care!

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast