Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-24-2018 10:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default I am TERRIFIED

I am scheduled for a sleeve on June 25th! I am terrified about the entire process. One minute I'm doing it and the next I want to cancel. Any help here?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I am TERRIFIED

It might help you (and us) if you could say more specifically what terrifies you or what you're afraid *might* happen if you are sleeved. Likewise, what positive outcomes you *hope* could happen if you were sleeved.

BTW, welcome.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member TheSassWay's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/08/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marvin
    Last Activity
    03-05-2020 12:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

I believe being nervous about the procedure is normal. Most of us on here, have been there as well. What terrifies you of the procedure? What would make you change your mind? It's about a 40 minute procedure. All I remember is that I was rolled into the OR, was told to get slide on the operating table, and when I woke up I was in recovery. Was in the hospital overnight and the next day was being discharged. My surgeon came in to discard me and he said, you don't look like a person who just had surgery. I'm glad I went through with my decision. Again, what scares you?

Gastric Sleeve Member SouthernGirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/25/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you Ann2! I am just terrified of the entire process. Will I regret it? I am sure it is mostly fear of the unknown, even after reading hundreds of posts. I have tried for years to lose the weight without success. I worry that something will go wrong and no one will be there to help me is my biggest worry. I am staying with my sister for a few days after the time in Mexico but I just don't get the good feeling of support from her. My husband thinks I should be able to do this on my own. My orthopedist won't even consider repairing my torn meniscus until I lose weight. Only 3 people know I am having this done. My best friend is he most supportive but even she isn't 100% on board with me.

I am calling this my last chance. I want to be healthy and be able to hike again. We are wanting to go to Israel next year and I want to be able to do all the sightseeing and walking around without giving into my fat body.

I worry about handling food situations - it seems like everything revolves around eating.

What happens when I go back to work - I'm taking vacation and no sick time for this.

Worry is what I do. I lay awake at night and try to come up with all the things that could happen.

Then I worry about the loose skin and how I'm going to feel about that and if I'll be able to have surgery to tighten some of it up.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    TutTut
    Surgeon
    Dr. Byars
    Last Activity
    07-30-2019 03:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 101 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 36 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

I was 100% where you are right now minus the support issue because everyone but my mother supported me. I did everything in the world to loose weight for years. i told myself that i would give myself a year as my last resort and if i didnt get anywhere then i was going through with this entire process. But even up until the day of my surgery i was worried. my worries were more what if i cant do this, what if i fail, what if it doesnt work, so many what ifs.... Then i just had a peace about it for some reason. My fear stemmed i guess from the unknown i mean you are having part of your stomach removed for crying out loud... who wouldnt worry about that! But honestly all of my worries were for not, i recovered well, i did exactly what my doctor told me to do and i never had not one issue. Your not alone im sure we have all worried about the procedure some form or another.

I noticed after my surgery there are more dang commercials about food than i realized ... however im not sure about everyone else but i could care less if i ate or not for like 2 weeks totally didnt phase me at all i was happy drinking my water, my protein shakes, and my creamed soups. even then i could only drink 1/2 of those.

stop worrying your gonna do great and be happier for it just do exactly what your doctor tells you and you shouldnt have issue. Alot of people have had "buyers remorse" but that has never been the case for me i have 100% loved it every since i had it done i would do it over in a heart beat and wish i would have had it done 10 years ago!
    5'2 highest weight 218
    Dr. Consult weight in 210
    Surgery Weight 198 (-12lbs)
    Surgery Date 9/25/16
    1 month:189 (-9lbs)
    2 month:180 (-9lbs)
    3 month:174 (-6lbs)
    4 month:169 (-5lbs)
    5 month:167 (-2lbs)
    6 month:165 (-2lbs)
    7 month: 159(-6lbs)
    8 month: 158(-1lbs)
    9 month: 155(-3lbs)
    10 month:154 (-1lbs)
    11 month:153 (-1lb)
    1 year 148 (-5lb)

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    03/08/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marvin
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

I was like you up until the day before surgery, I went to my pre op visit. I told them I couldn't go through with this. One, I have never been under anteshesia and Two, I have never had surgery. My nerves were slightly calmed by the nurses there. I was told, you want to be summertime fine and you better show up tomorrow especially since you've come this far. I had my last meal the night before and couldn't eat it due to nerves.

Not too many people know that I've been sleeved, I have a few supporters. But I didn't tell many people because I didn't want to hear their opinions of what I should and shouldn't do. I made this decision for me and I'm glad I did, I haven't had buyer remorse even though I know some people who have. However, their buyer remorse for them doesn't last long. It only comes up when they can't eat as much as they want to.

You have to change your relationship with food totally. When I went back to work, I suffered from head hunger and time hunger but wasn't actually hungry. Just because it was lunch time, it was time to eat. I realize half the time I was hungry before surgery, I allowed the time to dictate when I ate. Now, I let my stomach tell me.......which it never does because of my lack of an appetite. But I do eat to get my require amount of protein in. I'm about 3.5 month post op, 57 pounds down, and still have to remind myself to eat. When you go back to work, pack a breakfast, lunch, and snacks. Such as your protein shakes, protein water, fairlife milk, oikos triple zero yogurt, tuna creations, and whatever else you think you may need. You're get a few side eyes but when they see the weight dropping you're be asked what are you doing?

I worried about loose skin as well, my sister told me we will jump that hurdle when we get there. I don't have any yet that's because I work out and lift light weight.....however I already had bat wings so it is what it is at this point for me. My church and I plan to tour Israel in 2019 as well...so, maybe our paths will cross.

You will find a lot of support here on this site!!! Can't wait to hear your update!

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member SouthernGirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/25/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

I am doing this for me. I am reading all I can. Ann2 had some great information in her First and Second Surgiversary posts. I just copied it so I would have it going forward. I can do this - I can do this!

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/08/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marvin
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernGirl View Post
    I am doing this for me. I am reading all I can. Ann2 had some great information in her First and Second Surgiversary posts. I just copied it so I would have it going forward. I can do this - I can do this!
    Yes, you can!!! And we are cheering you on!!!!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Think long picture. If you're happy where you are, don't bother with the surgery. If you want to be a healthy, normal sized person, go for it! If you have any medical issues like sleep apnea or diabetes, it will probably go away. I never in my wildest dreams could imagine myself weighing 135 pounds from almost 220. Totally priceless! (This is my 4th summer in my same shorts!!)

The actual surgery is no big deal, I was one night in the hospital, and then two weeks off work. Napped a lot! Only used the pain meds for a few days. Never got sick, ever. For me the whole thing was a breeze.

Just got back from a fantasy vacation, I'm a skier and this time I climbed to the top of Peak 9 at Breckenridge! I am totally proud of myself. We were gone almost 2 weeks and hiked or biked every day.

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    12-04-2018 03:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts

I am scheduled for a sleeve on June 25th! I am terrified about the entire process. One minute I'm doing it and the next I want to cancel. Any help here?
    I'm going through that myself. Though, my surgery hasn't been schedule yet, I keep thinking " Am I sure about this? " " Will I be able to deal with the drastic changes to my life?". One minute I want to go through with it, the next I'm not so sure. Even my husband asked me again this past weekend " Are you sure this is what you want?". Then I think about my health and rethink it. It's a roller coaster for me right now. I hope you decide to do what's best for you. hugs.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Blog Entries

Sheesh, folks -- you said every encouragement I could think of. What great posts up above!

SouthernGirl, of course you can do this! We all have. And we are not any more special than you are. First of all, you are DEMANDING that your life change. You have not thrown in the towel on life. You're like Auntie Mame -- you want to LIVE! (I hope you saw that movie.)

The only thing I could add might be this: Going on as you have, not having WLS, living as before is your other option, which is also a decision. And I'll guaran-damn-tee-you that if you do nothing, take no action, a year from now you'll be in even worse shape than you are right now. And the year after that ... even worse shape.

Door Number One or Door Number Two?

P.S. Don't go telling everyone about this. In your pre-surgery jitter days, you'll hear nothing but ignoramuses who don't know squat about weight loss surgery telling you crap they heard that isn't even true. I swear, some people make s**t up just to keep others from rising up. And the odd thing is that they take so much delight in doing so. A pox on them!

M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Blog Entries

P.S. Go read this post, which someone just wrote today. It'll give you a glimpse of your possible healthier, happier, near-term future:

https://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/...ad.php?t=67404

M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

HI Southern Girl, I too was very nervous and had doubts before surgery and kept on wondering if it was the right ting to do. I was worried about dying on the operating table. I was reassured by the doctors that all would be ok. In fact since my surgery which is almost 10 weeks ago, i have not had one panic attack. I haven't felt this good in years and I am even more confident to go out. I am planning on going to Israel in August, which I would not have wanted to do 3 months ago. Good luck !

22. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Southern girl I can only concur with all the great info above.
    The only thing I will add is that there is a fantastic support group right here and if you need anything you just come on in and ask. There will be someone who will come along and help. We've all been through the same stuff and have negotiated the same or similar paths.
    We are on your side.
    You can do this.
    My life has never been better. I love that I did this for me.
    PS I didn't tell many people either - and they still don't know. My business and mine alone!

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I have absolutely no regrets being sleeved. Although I was nervous about the surgery, I was more excited. I had 2 C-sections and this was a way easier recovery than either of my C-sections. My biggest fear was it wouldn't work and I would fail. Obviously that is not the case. Ultimately only you can decide if this is right for you but my sleeved life is a full, happy, healthy one. I am socially active, physically fit, and healthy. I cannot get enough of people telling me how great I work and how "tiny" I am. My one regret is waiting so long to do it. (My sister was sleeved 5 years before me and I kept thinking I could lose the weight on my own. I would get down to 160...maintain for a while and then go back up. My weight would yo-yo between 160-207!!)