Surgery date
    06/20/2018
    Last Activity
    05-15-2019 11:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 71 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Trying to understand weigh loss or no weigh loss

I have two weeks to go before surgery and have been reading night and day trying to get ready. I am excited but still not sure if
    it will really work. I see people posting in 2011 and 2012 and they have lost very little weight. Is it possible that they are not updating
    their stats or maybe the surgery does not work for everyone. I want it to work so bad that this worries me.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Trying to understand weigh loss or no weigh loss

I don't think you need to worry. If you follow the rules (which are easier when you have a sleeve) you will do just fine. Protein first, then veg, then carbs if you have room. Exercise if you can, even if that is just walking. Drink 2.2 litres of water a day. Maybe have a protein shake for breakfast. Get in over 80g of protein a day. maybe load yourself the my fitness pal app on your phone so you can check al these things. Having the sleeve means you cant eat as much and that you fill up very quickly. You need to be mindful of your food choices Some people do okay by eating whatever they like and not overeating, most of us do very well by following the above rules. The people who don't do well are the ones who eat a lot of what they call slider foods.. this is often things like carbs and cake and ice cream and chocolate... these are easy to eat after sleeve and some people find some therapy helpful if they have problems with not being able to say no to these foods. If people eat protein and veg they do good! Because they are full. But you cant exclude emotional issues which sometimes make life tricky.
    In the first 6 months its easy but after that it can get harder as you need to be more mindful as you can eat more.
    It's not a magic bullet but it kind of is... take care but gawd the sleeve makes it easier. Drive your own bus! You'll do great :-)

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Luv49ers19's Avatar
    Name
    Cody
    Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Daniel Leslie
    Last Activity
    09-27-2018 08:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 760 Times
    Was Thanked 547 Times in 375 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 275 Times
    Blog Entries

Yep everything the beautifully Edie said!
    Hw: 260
    Sw: 260 10/23/16
    Weight at time of sleeve 209 (-51)
    Sleeve date 5/23/17
    1 month:187 (-22)
    2 month:178 (-9)
    3 month:172 (-6)
    4 month:162 (-10)
    5 month:150 (-12) (10/28/17) 6 month goal!!!!
    6 month: 143 (-7)
    7 month: 136 (-7)
    8 month: 131 (-5) made goal weight 130 (2/8/2017)
    9 month: 125 (-6)
    10 month: 120 (-5)
    11 month: 115 (-5)
    1 year: 114 (-1)
    16 months: 120 (+6)

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

At this point I'd use the relationship metaphor to explain how I feel. The first months of the sleeve (after recovery) are like falling in love. It's just amazing, wonderful, can't believe it, no effort. Then reality sets in and you realize there is work involved. As Edie says, some people just eat what they want & the weight falls off. I'm not one of them. I need to exercise, drink lots of water & avoid carbs. The sleeve makes it much easier to do all this but it's not like chips or cookies or ice cream lose all attraction. They are less attractive to me now bc I know how sweets and carbs unsettle my stomach. But I have a lifetime of bad habits to overcome and my head still says "I want it!" even as my stomach tries to send warnings. I'm also 64 and have the metabolism of a gnat. We all have different experiences and the main lesson is you have to figure out what works for you. Read the posts of some of the veterans (SRaeber, Ann2, tinman) and learn from them.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

First off, I agree with the above but I will add my two cents. The sleeve will work for you if you work for it. If you eat all crap foods you will still lose weight initially but eventually gain it back. Some people seem to be able to eat what they want and not gain but for most people you have to eat right. Completely doable with the sleeve. Everyone usually loses initially unless they are completely overdoing it with the crap foods.
    Regardless, it will be the easiest way you have lost weight. And while it can be uncomfortable at times, you will have never lost weight so easily. I can tell you I also worried that it would not work for me even though my sister was sleeved 5 years before me and lost weight easily. I lost 99 lbs in 10 months. Now I am happily maintaining my weight loss.

10. Said thanks:

DHB

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents