I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    06-21-2018 01:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Question Recovery time

hi folks,

I'm taking an informal poll. how long after surgery before you felt 'back to normal' energy wise?

I own two businesses and it looks like I'll be having surgery at the end of September. this is the beginning of the holiday sales season and the mainstay of my businesses. I'm a bit fearful that I won't be able to work at my full potential for an extended period and don't know if that's a reasonable assumption or not.

what say you, experienced ones?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Last Activity
    08-21-2022 11:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 265 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 209 Times

Default Re: Recovery time

I took 2.5 weeks off. I was tired but not unable to work tired. I would get up early because the fatigue in the mornings seems to be the worst. I needed time to rest after getting ready for work. However, once I got to work I was able to put in a full day. My job consisted of sitting all day but I still had to be responsive and tuned in to what was happening.

One thing I did prior to surgery was make sure my house was spotless. I didn't want any unnecessary housework using my energy up.

Food wise, you're so limited on what you can have, liquids, pureeds foods there is no reason to food prep. I did frozen and canned foods druring those stages. It took maybe 5 minutes to blend what I was going to have for diner. Whatever I had for diner I made a double portion and packed up a meal for lunch the next day. I ate a few spoonfuls of yogurt for breakfast so no meal prep was reqired. Not knowing what I could tolerate I didn't see any reason to buy fresh ony to throw out if I couldn't eat it.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I have a desk job and went back to work exactly 1 week later. I was tired at night. I would go to bed a bit earlier but no real issues. I also ensured I took my vitamins, stayed hydrated, and did my best to get my protein in. I did not have many real issues with energy. I mean, I was more tired than usual but most overall fine. The worst for me was the first week. It steadily got better after that.

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I was exhausted for 6 weeks but I might be just a bit of a wuss. Everyone is different but I felt I really needed that 6 weeks off. In saying that I did go back to Uni for 2 days a week from week 3, but I was super tired. Get a cleaner, you won't need to do much food prep, and try to get enough sleep at night. Some folks are just back at it and don't have any issues so it's difficult to say for sure I guess. But good luck! And when you have recovered, keep the cleaner!!!! ;-)

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I think it depends on the individual. Luckily I work from home and so did not have to go anywhere. I took a while to feel 'normal' again. I would walk everyday but needed to sleep during the day for more than 2 weeks. However my problem with getting back to normal stems from me not recovering well from anaesthetics. Good luck with your journey.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Shannon'sVSG's Avatar
    Name
    Shannon Crosby
    Surgery date
    09/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. William Arnold
    Last Activity
    09-16-2018 03:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 47 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

If I remember correctly, I felt exhausted for roughly three weeks after having surgery. I did a lot of napping as I found I just couldn't muster up the energy to do much more than a short distance walk or two each day. But as you can see by the postings here, it can fluctuate from person to person, so each individual experience is much different than the last. But don't allow the information to sway your decision to have VSG surgery. If this is something you really want, you will find a way to make it all work out - and it will work itself out.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I took 2 weeks off work and felt pretty much "back to normal" by then. I'm a teacher.

The first week I basically slept, and when I was awake I sipped my protein shakes and walked a little. By the second week I was feeling better and relaxed before going back to work.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

"Full energy"?

Hmm ... I'll be conservative here and say that I was back to "full energy" about 3 months post-op. For me, that meant business travel, standing and teaching all day in front of some very demanding adult students, and working 60-70 hour weeks.

Was it hard? Yes.

But it was also hard struggling to work at "full energy" when I was 50 pounds heavier (which is about how much weight I'd lost by 3 months post-op, including my pre-op diets).

Good luck to you.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member The North Sleeve's Avatar
    Name
    Mike
    Surgery date
    04/20/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Luthra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2019 05:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 79 Times in 63 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 266 Times
    Blog Entries

I took 2 weeks off of work and never had any loss of energy or periods of being tired. I am 6 weeks post-op right now and I still don't have any loss of energy. I felt fine right after surgery which I was amazed at. I didn't need pain meds at all.

I am a true believer that if you follow your medical teams advice you will do well in your surgery process. I have read some horrible stories what some people have gone through and thank goodness I breezed through my surgery. Don't get yourself all worked up about what you can or cannot do, just make sure you take care of yourself and don't push any limits. You need to take care of yourself and heal properly, your business will always be there, you might not if you try and rush things. You will know how your body reacts within hours of the surgery. Best of luck to you!!
    The North Sleeve (youtube channel) Come view my journey

Click Here >>>>>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA9...J4yMqFXxkl6WzA

VSG Surgery April 20, 2018
    Height 6'2
    High Weight 354 lbs
    Surgery Weight 333 lbs