11/13/2018
    Surgeon
    Christopher D. Joyce
    Last Activity
    01-31-2019 09:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 158 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

Default Fully approved this week and scheduled!

BCBS has officially approved my procedure. Given that I have been 42 - 45 BMI with 3 co-morbidities for 15+ years we knew it would get approved, but now it's official. In addition, I've tried and failed 3 medically supervised weight-loss programs and numerous "self-inflicted" diets, only to lose 25lbs and then regain 30lbs. I realized that sheer will power alone cannot get me to the level of health I need to be at. It's not that my will power is low as I've accomplished a lot in other areas. For example, I come from an impoverished and troubled single parent family and was the youngest of 6 children. However, I was the first person in my family tree before me to complete high school. Today, I have 3 graduate degrees that I earned in night school while working full-time and raising a family. I'm done beating myself up for "lack of will power" and ready to take the actions that will move me forward. Life is too short.

Most of my family is obese. It seems that we were all thin up until we reached our 30s, then the weight would start piling on. I know my main issue is emotional eating in response to stress and mild depression, and secondarily, a thin wife that lives to go to restaurants every weekend and eat fast food throughout the week. I am fully aware that my new sleeve will not resolve these challenges, but it will provide a catalyst and temporary "bumper rails" while getting the additional therapy for the emotional eating disorder. Also, my wife has a new appreciation for the seriousness of the matter and is ready to cooperate.

I am excited about all the positive changes that I know will come as a result of this procedure and life change. My only challenge now is that I am in-between jobs and interviewing. If I do land a good job in the next week or two I will need to push the procedure back 3 months. I'm getting up there in age and good job opportunities are getting scarcer. I'm hoping that if a new job opportunity presents itself, it does so ASAP. I would have to give my surgeon at least 3 weeks’ notice to reschedule.

Thanks for listening folks, and as always, thanks for being here!
    Reason: grammer error

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Luv49ers19's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cody
    Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Daniel Leslie
    Last Activity
    09-27-2018 08:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 760 Times
    Was Thanked 547 Times in 375 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 275 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fully approved this week and scheduled!

Congrats! You got this!!!!! Your head is in the right place and that is half the battle. So glad your wife is going to support you now. It is super important. Can't wait to get another update on your journey!!!!
    Hw: 260
    Sw: 260 10/23/16
    Weight at time of sleeve 209 (-51)
    Sleeve date 5/23/17
    1 month:187 (-22)
    2 month:178 (-9)
    3 month:172 (-6)
    4 month:162 (-10)
    5 month:150 (-12) (10/28/17) 6 month goal!!!!
    6 month: 143 (-7)
    7 month: 136 (-7)
    8 month: 131 (-5) made goal weight 130 (2/8/2017)
    9 month: 125 (-6)
    10 month: 120 (-5)
    11 month: 115 (-5)
    1 year: 114 (-1)
    16 months: 120 (+6)

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member tonewbeginnings's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/02/2018
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Good luck on your upcoming surgery whether it happens soon or several months for now. For the last year or so while in my car I have listened to a podcast called "Weight Loss Surgery Podcast" Can also listen online go to weightlosssurgerypodcast.com. It is hosted by Reeger Cortell who is a nurse practitioner at a bariatric clinic. She interviews patients, bariatric surgeons, other types of physicians, dietitians, on all sorts of topics related to obesity and bariatric surgery. There were a few episodes that talked about weight set points and metabolism. After listening to these I felt like I understood more about why dieting hadn't worked for me and why it's not as easy as having will power. There also was a recent one by Dr. Arya Sharma who is a professor in obesity research and his interview was really interesting as well. Anyway just want to share this as it was really helpful for me to understand some science behind dieting and obesity.

Highest Weight: 259
    Surgery Weight: 245 (-14)
    1 MO: 227 (-32)
    2 MO: 216 (-43)
    3 MO: 205 (-54)
    4 MO: 198 (-61)
    5 MO: 192 (-67)
    6 MO: 191 (-68)
    7 MO: 186 (-73)
    8 MO: 187 (-72)
    9 MO: 184 (-75)
    10 MO: 185 (-74)
    11 MO: 186 (-73)
    12 MO:

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Congrats on your approval. Excited for you!

9. Said thanks: