Surgeon
    Dr. Luthra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2019 05:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 79 Times in 63 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 266 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Has Anyone Else Noticed You Save MONEY When You Begin Your Journey???

Hello to all. I am new here and not sure if I posted this in the right area??? But here goes...

I have noticed that I hardly spend any money anymore. I guess what I'm saying is since the surgery or better yet, the start of the pre-op diet, I no longer stop at fast food joints, I no longer order pizza delivery, I no longer buy munchies at the local gas station, I no longer buy munchies out of vending machines ect...

I just realized that the other day and it made me very happy
    One doesn't really consider how much you actually spend on junk food when you are a food addict. I was just wondering if anyone else ever thought of that because I think it is awesome!!!
    The North Sleeve (youtube channel) Come view my journey

Click Here >>>>>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA9...J4yMqFXxkl6WzA

VSG Surgery April 20, 2018
    Height 6'2
    High Weight 354 lbs
    Surgery Weight 333 lbs

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member tonewbeginnings's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/02/2018
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Re: Has Anyone Else Noticed You Save MONEY When You Begin Your Journey???

Hi North Sleeve, welcome. I only started this site a few weeks ago myself. Yes I did notice that I'm not spending money on my usual eating outings. That's good that your focusing on the positive side of things. I'm actually making my own passion fruit iced tea instead of going to starbucks as well. It's weird driving past my favorite restaurants and knowing I'm not going there to get take out. It's like my brain has to be rewired on outings around town to have different thoughts now. Once I get my portion of the hospital bill I will be glad that I'm saving money on all this food though. I also find that I have more time now b/c I'm not spending so much of it thinking about what I want and where I want to go to get it and all that is involved when one is so food focused. I'm also watching less tv b/c tv isn't as fun for me if I can't eat something in large quantity. Good luck on your journey.

Highest Weight: 259
    Surgery Weight: 245 (-14)
    1 MO: 227 (-32)
    2 MO: 216 (-43)
    3 MO: 205 (-54)
    4 MO: 198 (-61)
    5 MO: 192 (-67)
    6 MO: 191 (-68)
    7 MO: 186 (-73)
    8 MO: 187 (-72)
    9 MO: 184 (-75)
    10 MO: 185 (-74)
    11 MO: 186 (-73)
    12 MO:

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Fawole
    Said "Thanks" 62 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Has Anyone Else Noticed You Save MONEY When You Begin Your Journey???

I agree!
    I have only just started my journey and am on puree foods but I opened a tin of pea and ham soup I bought and blended it with some fortified milk, I had 5 portions out of it, it cost 45p!

Later on I had a small portion of sweet potatoe, quarter of a tin of small beans and a quarter of a tin of tuna, max cost, less than 50p!

This is going to save me so much money on food shopping but then I will have so much more money left over for new clothes once I have lost a significant amount

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alisonjayne View Post
    I agree!
    I have only just started my journey and am on puree foods but I opened a tin of pea and ham soup I bought and blended it with some fortified milk, I had 5 portions out of it, it cost 45p!

Later on I had a small portion of sweet potatoe, quarter of a tin of small beans and a quarter of a tin of tuna, max cost, less than 50p!

This is going to save me so much money on food shopping but then I will have so much more money left over for new clothes once I have lost a significant amount
    And you will LOVE the shopping :-)

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Fawole
    Said "Thanks" 62 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03 View Post
    And you will LOVE the shopping :-)
    I know!

I am fed up of going into shops for the larger lady, bring on the normals!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

But you spend a whole lot of money on clothes!! This is my 4th summer in the same size, and I still shop. At least I'm a sale shopper, like Kohl's with my 30% off coupon and cash back. But I am a little out of control.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Walter Cha
    Last Activity
    Today 07:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I partially agree with you. I spend much less at the grocery store. I spend less on fast food, actually nothing there. I spend less on scotch and wine. Maybe 1/6th of my prior consumption. I spend less on frozen prepared items. I don't buy snacks or muffins or candy bars at my golf course anymore. However, I am spending a large amount on new clothes. Its a pretty good trade off.

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Gege
    Surgery date
    11/17/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Peter Rantis
    Last Activity
    04-07-2020 10:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 67 Times
    Was Thanked 93 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    But you spend a whole lot of money on clothes!! This is my 4th summer in the same size, and I still shop. At least I'm a sale shopper, like Kohl's with my 30% off coupon and cash back. But I am a little out of control.
    So happy to hear I'm normal! I have a serious addiction to Old Navy right now I need to stop, I have 40 pounds to go still! But, oh how good it feels to put things on that fit at a normal store! Even if it's the biggest size!

Gege

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/09/2018
    Surgeon
    Roy Cobean MD
    Last Activity
    02-16-2021 08:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

Yes, food for myself has been a lot less money. I find I am buying higher quality foods that are nutrient dense. And my husband has been trying to eat a lot healthier too, so no junk food. I have not shopped for full price clothes yet and am so looking forward to it. I have been visiting my local thrift shops on half price and tag color discount days. I am a serious bargain shopper and look for brand name tags. I have an 8 dollar outfit on today that I purchased last week; khaki bottoms, cotton top and linen jacket that I got many compliments on today. My secret! I may even try to fill my closet with these bargains when I get to my goal too to save money. My trick is, I always take something out of my closet I don't wear anymore before I hang a new one up, and then donate that item.

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Agreed that there is a lot less spending on food.....

But,

I had to buy an entire new set of clothes (essentially everything but socks!), so any savings was quickly destroyed and surpassed by clothing purchases.

Also, I have developed a desire to compete in triathlons..... Currently I am at approximately $ 600 for this season and next year will be worse.

So, yes, less on food......

I wouldn't trade it for anything though! This surgery saved my life!
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Shannon'sVSG's Avatar
    Name
    Shannon Crosby
    Surgery date
    09/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. William Arnold
    Last Activity
    09-16-2018 03:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 47 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Isn't that a great feeling? To save money you may (or may not have realized) was being spent frivolously on items that you now recognize were a huge detriment to your overall well being? Granted you find that more money will soon be going out because as you reduce in size, your need for size-appropriate clothing will increase. But that makes it fun - AND WORTH WHILE! You will feel good and you will want to look good!

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I may have swapped food spending on clothes and exercise equipment spending. LOL. Not a bad problem!

25. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Like others said I spent a ton on clothes - I bet I still have 15 pairs of jeans I bought 6 years ago with the tags still on them. I just never leave the house for work so no need to wear nice clothes either.
    I still go out to eat quite a bit and I do stop for breakfast burritos at McDonald's once in a blue moon if I am totally on the run with meetings. But I no longer order pizza delivery at 20 bucks a shot - when I want pizza I bake up a small individual sized Red Baron brand that I keep in the freezer.

27. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member The North Sleeve's Avatar
    Name
    Mike
    Surgery date
    04/20/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Luthra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2019 05:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 79 Times in 63 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 266 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm sure the money won't stay in my pocket very long once the new clothes season begins. I am just reaching that point right now although I am going to hang on as long as I can because i'm sure the sizes will change pretty fast. I have already dropped two pant sizes since the start of my pre-op April 8, 2018. I am down just over 50 lbs so far and it feels amazing.

Still amazes me after I think about it for a while just how much a person would spend on unhealthy food prior to uncle sleeve becoming a part of our lives. Thank you uncle sleeve for changing my life!!!!
    The North Sleeve (youtube channel) Come view my journey

Click Here >>>>>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA9...J4yMqFXxkl6WzA

VSG Surgery April 20, 2018
    Height 6'2
    High Weight 354 lbs
    Surgery Weight 333 lbs

29. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The North Sleeve View Post
    Still amazes me after I think about it for a while just how much a person would spend on unhealthy food prior to uncle sleeve becoming a part of our lives.
    Yes! That!

It's shocking how much we once PAID LOTS OF MONEY for "food" that actually hurt our bodies and made our lives even more miserable. Like you, I'm talking about food that was NOT protein, veggies, fruits, whole grains -- but were over-processed, high-sugar, high-crap-carb, high-salt junk food with lots of other preservatives, etc.

Good food is so delicious. And makes us feel so wonderful. I cannot believe I spent so many, many decades making such poor decisions about my health and my body. And yes, I know I sound like a reformed person. That's 'cause I am.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89