DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default feeling ill 51/2 weeks after surgery

HI! I was wondering if anyone had problems 51/2 weeks after surgery. I was feeling good until 2 days ago. I had to take something to help with bowel movements and since then I have been feeling awful. I spent the day sleeping yesterday and could barely drink and definitely not eat. I feel nauseous all the time and shivery. I cannot face eating or drinking for that matter. I have forced myself to have some chicken soup. I do think that the PPI is making me nauseous as it has in the past.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: feeling ill 51/2 weeks after surgery

Mostly I had constipation issues. It was very easy for me to feel sick because I ate "too much" or "too fast" for the first few months. I totally would regret it. I would lay in bed miserable. Usually I would do this at night. My hubby was always asking if I was ok. It is an adjustment. Are you sure you are not getting sick? I mean, with the shivers and what not.

Name
    Mike
    Surgery date
    03/20/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Heath Smith
    Last Activity
    09-10-2018 08:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Others may think differently, but the symptoms you're describing - unable to eat, lethargic, shivering, possible fever -- don't sound too typical. The protein rich diet with not much else can cause a traffic jam at the southern off ramp so to speak, but that should pass after it passes. (bad euphemisms r us tonight I'm afraid...).

I would recommend reaching out to your doctor pretty soon, like tomorrow, and discuss exactly what you're feeling. I'm a few weeks ahead of you, and I've had some of what you're describing as one-offs, but not all at once. It is a challenge to get all the water in, and when you're stuffing protein down you don't feel like eating much else. I've found myself feeling a bit nauseous after some meals but that passes after an hour or two. Constipation is seriously overrated and something I've become acquainted with too well. I have found that I get chilled easier than I did 60 pounds ago, but it's not a fever feeling, I'm just less insulated than before.

Entirely possible that this could just be something like constipation, flu, or not enough liquids, but I'm on the better safe than sorry side of the divide when you're feeling wiped out. Best wishes, hope things are ok, hang on in the meantime.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    04/05/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Roye
    Last Activity
    04-25-2019 08:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I experienced an episode like you after taking a natural OTC laxative. I felt the same as you, no energy and just a blah feeling. It was very hard to get anything down also, water was the worst. After talking with my doc, the laxative depletes you so it’s super important to get fluids/electrolytes back in. It really did feel like I had a stomach bug and the bm’s were not pleasant for the next couple of days (I know TMI). Mine lasted for about 3 days and I will never take a laxative again. I just incorporate prunes, flax seed, etc in my diet now to help curb any constipation. Also, I get chilly all the time now too but I really think it’s part of our bodies not getting the extra calories in. I hope you feel better soon!

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Stephen Watson
    Said "Thanks" 205 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 76 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

I think, to be safe, you need to see your Dr. The 1st thing to do would be to exclude a leak, or other post-op complication.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

HI Thanks all for your advice. I have a scheduled appointment to see my doctor in 2 weeks. I might call to see if I can bring the appointment forward. I have looked up the symptoms of a leak and my symptoms don't fit that. I do not have a fever. I think Laura you are correct, it something to do with the laxative. I am able to eat a little better today and have made myself a smoothie and am able to tolerate it. I avoided taking a PPI and do not feel as nauseous as before. Tomorrow I see the dietitian and hopefully they will come up with a plan for me. Once again thanks for all the responses and all the support.

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Hope you feel better soon Elllie and I think hubby would be spotting anything too untoward ;-)