06/20/2018
    Last Activity
    05-15-2019 11:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 71 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default I'm so confused, please help

Hi All,

I go to the doctor next Monday to discuss the surgery. I have a lot of health issues that require me to loose weight and I would totally Love to be thin.

So I'm reading all these post and people loose a drastic amount in a very short period of time, How???

Also I keep seeing get your protein in daily. What about vegtables and carbs? Don't you need them?

Maybe I need to find the basic guide on what happens, but I don't know where to find it.

How do you keep from getting sick with eating so little.

Thanks so much.

Happyme2

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    05/07/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Troy Houseworth
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 03:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 158 Times
    Was Thanked 128 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Default Re: I'm so confused, please help

Quote Originally Posted by Happyme2 View Post
    Hi All,

I go to the doctor next Monday to discuss the surgery. I have a lot of health issues that require me to loose weight and I would totally Love to be thin.

So I'm reading all these post and people loose a drastic amount in a very short period of time, How???

Also I keep seeing get your protein in daily. What about vegtables and carbs? Don't you need them?

Maybe I need to find the basic guide on what happens, but I don't know where to find it.

How do you keep from getting sick with eating so little.

Thanks so much.

Happyme2
    My surgeons office gave me a binder of information at my first visit, that along with the nutrition and nursing appointments before surgery put it all together. I also attend a monthly support group that is helpful and allows for time to ask questions and get input from others.

I'm on post op day 8 from VSG and have lost 23.2 pounds this week. The reason for the rapid loss is being on clear liquids only. I haven't had an actual meal since 6pm on May 6. I just today graduated to protein drinks along with liquids. Once you're on regular foods, you'll always want to eat your protein first, then veggies, then if room healthy carbs.

I would suggest reading up on your surgery at different sites like: https://asmbs.org/patients/bariatric-surgery-procedures, and https://www.obesitycoverage.com/the-...atric-surgery/
    While it's important to talk to your surgeon about your needs, I encourage doing research on the topic and educating yourself as well so you know what questions to ask.

Best to you on this journey.

HW 2016=310
    SW 5/7/18= 274

4 weeks=241.6
    8 weeks=225.0
    12 weeks=214.8
    16 weeks=205.6
    20 weeks=198.6
    24 weeks=193.2

6 Mos check-up w/Surgeon: 11/13/2018=189
    28 weeks=187
    32 weeks=181.2
    36 weeks=174
    39 weeks + 2 days=169.8 = GOAL!

40 weeks=168
    44 weeks=163
    48 weeks=160.4
    51 weeks; day of 1-yr appt w/surgeon=159.4
    54 weeks=154

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Chris Patterson
    Surgery date
    01/26/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-22-2018 08:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Think of the sleeve as enforced portion control. Once you are healed you can eat pretty much anything you wish to eat, just in small quantities. I know I cannot eat very much and so I am smarter about what I choose to eat.

In you post you mentioned health issue requiring that you lose weight. So you already have food related health issues, right? Eating less is going to help solve those and if that less is a balanced diet you are probably not going to see new issues. Think about eating nutrient dense small meals and it will all come together for you. Try for variety. Eat your protein first and then your vegetables and then the carbs usually stay on the plate.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

For a good overview of the sleeve look at this site --------> https://www.obesitycoverage.com/gast...erence-manual/
    You lose weight quickly because you are eating a very small amount because your stomach can only hold a small amount. Read the information and ask the questions. You will know if this is right for you.

Name
    Amanda
    Surgery date
    10/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Eagan
    Last Activity
    11-27-2020 12:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 178 Times in 142 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hi Happyme!

One of the caveats of having the surgery is that there are a lot of vitamins and supplements involved due to lower calorie intake and the inability to physically eat enough veggies/fruits especially early on. I'm 7 months out and have to drink 2 protein shakes a day still to get enough protein in.

Hopefully you'll get a lot of good information from your doctor's visit.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I love the "enforced portion control" comment. I'm almost 5 years out, we ate out the other night, then hubby needed something from Cabela's. Said he got me a present, some red licorice, as he knows I love that. I said but I'm FULL! He ate the licorice. I could not have eaten even a piece after dinner.

No need to worry, your doctor will give you specific instructions. Basically you have to follow a pre-op diet to shrink your liver to make surgery safer, it ranges from doctors between 2 weeks or midnight the night before surgery. (I had 5 days). Then after surgery I had 2 weeks of liquids (basically protein drinks), one week of really soft food, and other foods added each week until all foods at 6 weeks. You do lose fast because you aren't hungry and don't eat much. It's so much fun! You will be taking vitamins so your nutritional needs are met with less food.

The easiest way to describe how I eat is protein first, then veggies, then good carbs if there's still room. So basically we follow our "rule of two," a protein and a veggie for meals. Simple.

And right now my size 8 pencil skirt is actually LOOSE. Priceless. You don't get sick from eating too little, you get healthy and regular-sized. We all ate too much in the past, or we would not have ended up needing surgery. Now I eat about the exact amount my 110 mom eats. She was never fat. I was always amazed how she would say she was full after one pancake. Now I can say that!

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    12-04-2018 03:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times

What are considered "good carbs"? Thanks