Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member tonewbeginnings's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/02/2018
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Anyone have a feeling post op like there is a lump of something in the back of your tongue?

Surgery was almost 2 weeks ago and ever since I feel like the back part of my tongue and the top part of my esophagus feels gunky, thick and gross like there is a lump or a build up of something that I can feel all the time. At first I thought it was just from the anesthesia tube and swelling but it hasn't gone away yet. Anyone else experience this?
    I'm thinking I might have thrush from the IV antibiotics and steroids that I was given in the hospital but I could be wrong. I do have some white discoloration on my tongue but it's nothing as bad as pictures when I google thrush. I have tried listerine, tongue scraper, gargling w/ salt water and now I'm trying a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water to gargle with. If that doesn't work I'll have to go to my internist and see what he thinks and if it is thrush I'll probably take a nystatin or whatever he prescribes. That lump is really annoying and unpleasant and I feel like I am constantly having to swallow build up saliva. (I have had no problem swallowing liquids and soft foods but I feel it when I do). Sorry hope I didn't gross anyone out but would love to know if anyone else is having this. Thanks.

Highest Weight: 259
    Surgery Weight: 245 (-14)
    1 MO: 227 (-32)
    2 MO: 216 (-43)
    3 MO: 205 (-54)
    4 MO: 198 (-61)
    5 MO: 192 (-67)
    6 MO: 191 (-68)
    7 MO: 186 (-73)
    8 MO: 187 (-72)
    9 MO: 184 (-75)
    10 MO: 185 (-74)
    11 MO: 186 (-73)
    12 MO:

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone have a feeling post op like there is a lump of something in the back of your tongue?

Go see the doc stat because that is unpleasant for you to deal with and certainly could be thrush... regardless it needs looking at!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone have a feeling post op like there is a lump of something in the back of your tongue?

I got thrush from the liquid pre op and surgery. I had to get prescribed a rinse that I had 3-4 times a day to use for 2 weeks. It went away after that. It was pretty gross. And the rinse tasted like warm, sweet orange juice....which grossed me out but at least it took care of the problem.

6. Said thanks: