Surgeon
    Dr. Thomas
    Last Activity
    02-26-2024 07:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 83 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Newby. Scheduled for GS on the 16th

Just curious, I’ve done the prep diet for 14 days so far. I’ve lost 11 pounds. So I AM trying really hard. But I have cheated a little. I’ve not eaten anything that wasn’t on the diet, I’ve just had a little more that I was supposed to. Like an extra piece of cheese or slice of ham. Do you think it will matter?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Mike
    Surgery date
    03/20/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Heath Smith
    Last Activity
    09-10-2018 08:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Newby. Scheduled for GS on the 16th

Honestly, no. Perfection is great, but minor cheats happen. The part to worry about is when you go on the all liquid diet, or post surgery when you slowly progress from clear liquids to full liquids, to soft food, etc. Especially the week before and after, it's critical to stay compliant. But what you're describing does not sound like a crazed splurge. Hang in there and stay focused on the big stuff and you'll be fine.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Nope. The pre op is a preference thing. Yes, most surgeons want your liver to shrink to make it easier to do the surgery. There are surgeon's that don't require one at all. Due to that, I would think you are fine especially since you lost 11 lbs. You got this. Good luck on your surgery. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Check in as soon as you can post op to let us know how it went.

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/16/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Thomas
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 83 Times

TY! I appreciate your response. I think I’m ready. Just getting a bit nervous.

Surgery date
    05/16/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Thomas
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 83 Times

Thank you for responding. No, no big splurge! I’ve only exactly what I was told too, just on occasion, a little more than I was supposed to.
    I don’t want to start a new thread but I have another question. How long were you on pain meds? I’m asking because I need to be able to drive and get back to work as soon as possible. Thanks again.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome. Re pain meds I was only on them while in hospital - 2 days. When I came home I didn't even need any paracetamol. Sure there was discomfort but there was never any pain. I was driving after a week but could have probably driven earlier. The seat belt rubbing on the wounds put me off driving any sooner - that and the fact that I was fairly tired for the first week.
    Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

11. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nope you'll be fine, good luck with your surgery :-)

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-14-2021 08:29 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Praying for your successful surgery and speedy recovery.

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

My surgeon did an internal pain block during my surgery that wore off gradually over a few days. I think because of that, I didn't need anything more than Tylenol, even in the hospital. I felt pain immediately after surgery from the gas they pump in during the procedure. As soon as they let me stand up and walk I did (be sure you do) and walked quite a bit. I was doing laps around the recovery room and that really, really helped. I didn't want to take pain meds if possible and talked to my surgeon about that. I don't know if that internal pain block is available to everyone but wow, it was amazing. You don't want to be uncomfortable, but I also found that the nurses kept bringing me pain meds and I refused them and instead asked for Tylenol, which kept me perfectly comfortable. I figured if the Tylenol didn't work I could always take the pain meds but just didn't need them. (But everyone is different, so don't hesitate if you need them. Just know that you can make your own choices.)

As for "cheating", my NUT told me that if I was hungry on the pre-op diet, having extra protein wasn't really a cheat. Carbs & sugar are the culprits with our livers.

Praying that you feel peaceful (and a little excited) as you head into your big day.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/16/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Thomas
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 83 Times

Thank you for taking the time to respond! I’ll ask my Dr.about the pain block but since my surgery is in the morning, it’s probably too late to make a change. Thanks for the advice on asking for Tylenol first. I will definitely try that first. I had major back surgery last October and the pain meds made me extremely sick. I had to stop taking them.
    If I knew I could do without them I could drive myself to the hospital. But I won’t chance it.
    Thanks for your positive and prayers! (Feeling a bit needy today!)

Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Blog Entries

Hope your surgery went well!

Surgery date
    05/16/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Thomas
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 83 Times

Hello,
    Just wanted to say I’m doing well! Seventeen days post op, no pain, problems, depression, or regrets. I feel like I have been extremely fortunate. I only needed pain meds for the first three days. I was able to do quite a bit of work from home but didn’t really feel like I was ready to hit the road for a full 2 weeks. I was blessed to be able to work at my own pace and only had to take care of myself.
    After reading all the posts I now know how extremely lucky I was in deciding, scheduling, and having my surgery. What many people have had to go through is just unbelievable. I found a Doctor/Hospital that would accept Medicare and from first appointment to surgery was only 3.5 weeks! Blessed!
    I must say, I found the first 24 hours post op pretty brutal. I would have been much happier had I brought Premire Protein shakes from home because the hospital brand gagged me and some Crystal Light to add to the bottled water. Plain water gags me and always has. Fortunately, the doc let me rinse my mouth out with water all the time which helped a great deal. The 2nd day was OK but I had to pee every 45 minutes all night long which wasn’t very pleasant.
    All is great but I wish I had had a better idea of what to expect the first 36 hours. I’m sure that was my fault for not asking enough questions.
    Have a great weekend!

21. Said thanks:

DHB

Surgery date
    06/20/2018
    Last Activity
    05-15-2019 11:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 71 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I'm so Happy for you. I have mine in three weeks and will take your advice and take some shakes. I wonder if the Atkins shakes would work, I like them.
    I'm in Texas also, close to Houston. I am curious how you got approved so fast. I have medicare and the doctor said it most likely would not cover me.
    I have not seen much advice on what will help you right after surgery, any suggestions? Thank you.

Surgery date
    05/16/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Thomas
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 83 Times

Come to San Antonio to the Comprehensive Center for Weight Loss. It’s at Northeast Baptist Hospital. I searched the internet for who took Medicare. And searched some more. Most places said they took Medicare but when I called them they said no. Medicare DOES pay for the surgery but the big bariatric places don’t want to take it because they don’t make as much money. “I’m told” some of the places will keep you hanging on until they have absolutely no business and will then do your surgery. (Like at the first of the year when no one has paid in their deductible so business is slow.)
    I asked why my clinic would accept me when no one else would - they said it was because they were part of the Baptist Health Care system and were here to help people not to make big profits. They said Medicare patients were actually the easiest to get approved which is why things moved quickly for me.
    I would suggest you call centers affiliated with major hospitals. Or call my center and ask if they have a sister facility near you. (210-780-5832)
    With Medicare and my supplement, I don’t expect to have an out of pocket expense. I should say, I’ll be shocked if I do.
    You owe it to your bank account to check with my center. We’re only 3 hours from Houston.
    Good luck and God Bless you!!!

Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SAMom View Post
    Hello,
    Just wanted to say I’m doing well! Seventeen days post op, no pain, problems, depression, or regrets. I feel like I have been extremely fortunate. I only needed pain meds for the first three days. I was able to do quite a bit of work from home but didn’t really feel like I was ready to hit the road for a full 2 weeks. I was blessed to be able to work at my own pace and only had to take care of myself.
    After reading all the posts I now know how extremely lucky I was in deciding, scheduling, and having my surgery. What many people have had to go through is just unbelievable. I found a Doctor/Hospital that would accept Medicare and from first appointment to surgery was only 3.5 weeks! Blessed!
    I must say, I found the first 24 hours post op pretty brutal. I would have been much happier had I brought Premire Protein shakes from home because the hospital brand gagged me and some Crystal Light to add to the bottled water. Plain water gags me and always has. Fortunately, the doc let me rinse my mouth out with water all the time which helped a great deal. The 2nd day was OK but I had to pee every 45 minutes all night long which wasn’t very pleasant.
    All is great but I wish I had had a better idea of what to expect the first 36 hours. I’m sure that was my fault for not asking enough questions.
    Have a great weekend!
    Glad things are going so well. I remember waking up from surgery in pain and dry heaving wondering what I just did to myself. It was brutal. But with some pain meds I went back to sleep and when I woke up again I was tired and sore but not in pain like I was at first. But I remember my husband looking at me the first time when I was dry heaving with fear in his eyes wondering if I was going to be ok. I already knew I had a hard time with anesthesia which I believe is why I was dry heaving. But I always tell people the first week is the hardest.