Gastric Sleeve Member tonewbeginnings's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/02/2018
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default A rough couple of days

I had surgery a few days ago, evening of May 2nd. I was scared and super anxious b/c I have a very poor tolerance to anesthesia and I can't take most pain medication b/c I have a bad reaction of severe nausea. It was even worse than what I had imagined in regards to nausea. I was hoping I could go without pain meds to avoid reactions but the pain was too much and I had to have one dose of strong pain med the first night and then just stuck to IV Tylonel after that even though I was still a lot of pain but couldn't handle more nausea. Although I had IV Zofran every 6 hours the nausea was still severe and continued. My doctor gave me some sort of steroid on the 2nd night which seemed to help me turn a corner. The whole time I kept crying to my husband telling him I made a mistake, why did I do this to myself, I really was freaking out with remorse.It was much worse than any surgery I have had in the past. I am thinking that perhaps people who can take pain meds well are super medicated for the first day or two which gets them over the hump and makes it more bearable I'd imagine. Anyway I am home now and doing much better. I am glad I am over that part and can focus on my forward journey. Although my stomach isn't hungry and I'm having a hard time getting all my fluids in, my mind is hungry misses food immensely. My surgeon required a certain diet of just protein shakes for the 2 weeks before surgery so I haven't had real food in quite awhile. I wonder if the cravings in my head will go away.

Highest Weight: 259
    Surgery Weight: 245 (-14)
    1 MO: 227 (-32)
    2 MO: 216 (-43)
    3 MO: 205 (-54)
    4 MO: 198 (-61)
    5 MO: 192 (-67)
    6 MO: 191 (-68)
    7 MO: 186 (-73)
    8 MO: 187 (-72)
    9 MO: 184 (-75)
    10 MO: 185 (-74)
    11 MO: 186 (-73)
    12 MO:

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A rough couple of days

Quote Originally Posted by tonewbeginnings View Post
    I had surgery a few days ago, evening of May 2nd. I was scared and super anxious b/c I have a very poor tolerance to anesthesia and I can't take most pain medication b/c I have a bad reaction of severe nausea. It was even worse than what I had imagined in regards to nausea. I was hoping I could go without pain meds to avoid reactions but the pain was too much and I had to have one dose of strong pain med the first night and then just stuck to IV Tylonel after that even though I was still a lot of pain but couldn't handle more nausea. Although I had IV Zofran every 6 hours the nausea was still severe and continued. My doctor gave me some sort of steroid on the 2nd night which seemed to help me turn a corner. The whole time I kept crying to my husband telling him I made a mistake, why did I do this to myself, I really was freaking out with remorse.It was much worse than any surgery I have had in the past. I am thinking that perhaps people who can take pain meds well are super medicated for the first day or two which gets them over the hump and makes it more bearable I'd imagine. Anyway I am home now and doing much better. I am glad I am over that part and can focus on my forward journey. Although my stomach isn't hungry and I'm having a hard time getting all my fluids in, my mind is hungry misses food immensely. My surgeon required a certain diet of just protein shakes for the 2 weeks before surgery so I haven't had real food in quite awhile. I wonder if the cravings in my head will go away.
    HI! I am sorry to hear about your tough time after surgery. I am 4 weeks out and I also had days when I felt like 'why have I done this'. It does get better. I had to stay in hospital for 3 nights as I wasn't taking in fluids and had thrown up when i first tried. I too am allergic to allot of medications and don't recover quickly from anesthetic. It all passes and once you are over the initial hump you start to feel better and better. I have had to be on liquid only for 4 weeks and that has been tough. I do not get hungry and do not miss food, however this past week, all I have wanted to do was eat something as opposed to drink something. Last night I had my first puree food, just like a baby and it was heaven. I only had 6 teaspoons and I was full. You have all this to look forward to, so hang in there. I also assume you won't be on liquids for as long as me. Good luck! this forum is a great place to help you out when you are feeling blue>

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Sorry you had a hard time after surgery, nausea is the pits, theres nothing worse.It does sound like you are over that bit though so thats good. Some people do have a real mental pull towards food, I think its pretty normal because after all its what we are used to doing. Not eating and just having liquids seems weird I guess. I think for you it will just be time because once you get onto purees and then solids you will be amazed at how full you are. If you are still struggling mentally after that it might be worth having some therapy sessions about that to help you navigate it. You might not even struggle once you're on solids anyway. Time is an interesting thing with this surgery and you will soon get into the swing of it. Yell out here when you have ups and downs because everyone has been there and are very supportive :-)

6. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Sorry you're having a hard time. We're all different. I had hardly any pain (the only painful part I can remember is the moment waking up from surgery) and didn't use my pain meds for more than a day. I had no nausea. Ever. I was just excited to get on the road to health and wellness!

Not to in any way diminish your issues; I hope and pray you are back to normal soon. I just don't want to scare off the newbies and have them think this happens to everyone. Many of us breeze right through the whole journey.

Feel better soon! When you get home try to sleep as much as possible, that really helps. And walk. And sip. Good luck!

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Sorry you had such a rotten time with surgery.

Everyone is definitely different. I did not have any real pain except for gas pains after surgery, and I was also lucky in that I had no nausea.

I did however have about a week of buyers remorse! The second day I was literally on the verge of a mental breakdown and couldn't reconcile with what I had done. I really felt like I had made a mistake. The worst was the nagging thought that there was no going back.....

Fast forward to today, and I am so happy with my decision!

Stick it out (not like you have a choice). It does get better, I promise. Get into / onto a routine with your protein and liquids and then before you know it you will be eating again (just a lot less!). Once the pounds start peeling off you will feel better!

Good luck and stick to the program your doctor recommends!
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member TheSassWay's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/08/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marvin
    Last Activity
    03-05-2020 12:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

As the others have stated, everyone's journey is truly different. As for me, I didn't have any nausea after surgery. I did experience slight discomfort and gas. Burping and walking move the gas right out. The discomfort I experience was if I overworked my abdomen, like doing too many sit ups and/or crunched. I didn't take the pain medicine prescribed once I was discharged.

I'm glad to hear that you're doing much better. Once you get pass this hurdle you will be glad you made this decision. However, as far as the head hunger, that is totally normal. Since before surgery, we rarely ate when our body was telling us we're hungry. We tend to eat because the day tell us to. We eat at 11/12 because it's lunch time and so forth and not because we're hungry.

Continue to get well, walk, and sip your fluids!!

12. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/17/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bertha
    Last Activity
    08-28-2018 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 102 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

Hi. Like the others, I'm also sorry you had such a hard time.
    I only took pain meds in my IV on my first day, and it was really for the gas pain and sore throat from the breathing tube (I was recovering from a cold and went in with a sore throat). Never had an nausea. Its been a year for me and I've never gotten sick to my stomach yet. I do know that it gets better. don't let your head get in your way... whatever discomfort you may have in the beginning isn't permanent, so don't convince yourself you made a mistake.

Highest weight: 257
    Starting weight: 252.4
    Month 1: -20 (232.4)
    Month 2: -9.4 (223)
    Month 3: -11 (212)
    Month 4: -11.6 (200.4)
    Month 5: -8 (192.4)
    Month 6: -7.6 (185.8)
    Month 7: -5.2 (180.2)
    Month 8: -5.4 (174.8)
    Month 9: -3.8 (171)
    Month 10: -5 (166)
    Month 11: -3.4 (162.6)
    ONE YEAR: -1.4 (161.2) Total loss: 95.8 pounds!
    Month 13: -3 (158.2)

14. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/02/2018
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times

Thank you for your response (sraebaer)Yes at first I wondered if I should share my rough experience as there are people about to have surgery looking at this sight however I then realized that I needed to share my truth or else what's the point in even sharing at all and trying to get support. Tolerance for surgery (mine has always been poor) is widely varied and I understand that. It is great that it was a breeze for you and that you had no nausea, that's amazing. So thank you for responding so people know there are all kinds of reactions both good and bad.

12 MO:

Surgery date
    05/02/2018
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times

Thank you so much for your response. Hearing that someone else had buyers remorse and is now doing well and so happy you did it means a lot for me to hear.

12 MO:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry I missed your post, but really couldn't add much -- I've not had any sadness about my surgery. It's the best decision ever. I'm sure by the time you read this, you'll be somewhat back to normal.

I do regret I never learned to eat more slowly! I'm giving myself permission to eat one thing, and then wait about 2 minutes, and eat the next thing. It's so nice not to feel I have to have a regular plate with three things, even if the plate is small. It's just too much pressure!

Let your body guide you. Mine no longer lies to me!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I was uber nauseous right after surgery as well. I don't do well with anesthesia either. I was full of regret for about an hour or so. My surgeon gave me a liquid anti nausea and pain med. I only took them each 3-4 times the first week and was fine. Luckily. The good news is that it should get a little easier each day. Hang in there.

20. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Thank you for your response (sraebaer)Yes at first I wondered if I should share my rough experience as there are people about to have surgery looking at this sight however I then realized that I needed to share my truth or else what's the point in even sharing at all and trying to get support. Tolerance for surgery (mine has always been poor) is widely varied and I understand that. It is great that it was a breeze for you and that you had no nausea, that's amazing. So thank you for responding so people know there are all kinds of reactions both good and bad.
    I was really lucky! Are you feeling any better? Every day should get easier.

Surgery date
    04/09/2018
    Surgeon
    Roy Cobean MD
    Last Activity
    02-16-2021 08:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi! Nausea is the worst, I have had multiple surgeries over my lifetime and this was by far the easiest nausea wise. I warned them ALOT that I get nauseous and they pumped me full of anti-nausea meds the whole time I was in the hospital, so I felt very little nausea. And very little pain as well. I didn't even take any narcotics, only Tylenol and never picked up the take home script. The nausea I did have at home came from taking my normal medications on a new, empty stomach and I took Zofran for like two days to calm things down. I think we all have that, what have I done moment! I had some depression about 3-4 weeks in and those thoughts hit. It really is going to be forever and I've accepted that now only to learn what to do with this great tool. It sure is nice seeing the scale go down! Wishing you better days to come!

23. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/02/2018
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times

Thank you all for your words of wisdom and encouragement. I am indeed feeling much better a week out from surgery. I wake up in the mornings with some nausea but nothing severe and I get some protein drink in me and it feels better. The pain has greatly improved as well. Still super fatigued but then again I was very de-conditioned before the surgery because of arthritis limitations so it will probably take me longer than most to get my energy and strength back.

12 MO:

25. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Thank you all for your words of wisdom and encouragement. I am indeed feeling much better a week out from surgery. I wake up in the mornings with some nausea but nothing severe and I get some protein drink in me and it feels better. The pain has greatly improved as well. Still super fatigued but then again I was very de-conditioned before the surgery because of arthritis limitations so it will probably take me longer than most to get my energy and strength back.
    Glad to hear the good news! It's totally normal to be super-tired, try to get lots of naps in. (That's what I did!) The protein should help with energy. When you are up to it, start with a little walking. Take baby steps, start out slow and increase your distance over time. Your arthritis should improve as you drop the pounds. You'll do great!