Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Emptying of the stomach versus drinking fluids

I am not a rule breaker by nature, but I like to know the reasoning behind things.
    I was wondering about this 30 minute rule.

When I drink water, which is very runny, it will pass the sleeve very quickly.
    Thicker fluids (shakes, soups) will take a longer time.
    Throughout the day I drink fluids with the consistency of water, which will not sit in my stomach for more than a couple of minutes.
    I have heard of surgeons that have a 5 minute rule, which makes sense to me.

But afterwards is what I don't get.
    it is said, that the 30 minutes waiting, has to do with the flushing of foods out of the stomach into the intestins.
    In the first place, we still have a pylorus, so nothing actually will "flush" in my opinion, and secondly, it takes hours for the stomach to actually empty itself.

50% of stomach contents emptied- 2.5 to 3 hours
    Total emptying of the stomach- 4 to 5 hours
    50% emptying of the small intestine- 2.5 to 3 hours
    Transit through the colon 30 to 40 hours

Source: http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks...s/transit.html

I still do not drink with my meals, although occasionally, I would like to, especially when eating out.
    I know, of course, that I will eat less, because I have fluids in my stomach, so there is less room for food, but sometimes that does not have to be a bad thing.
    I do not drink after my meal, as long as I still feel full, which may vary from 30 minutes up to 1 hour, depending of the type of food I've been eating.

I am not suggesting someone should break the rule, but I just wonder, why this ís the rule.
    It doesn't seem to be very logical.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Emptying of the stomach versus drinking fluids

I sometimes drink when I eat. I try to just have some water at the beginning when we first sit down and then stop and try not to until after I have eaten and waited the 30 mins. I do know if I eat and drink together I do get full faster. It has not hurt me as far as I can tell. I still try to follow the rule but I have done it on occasion with no apparent bad juju.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't follow this rule Dutchie! I'm probably a bad person! But I don't think I really drink much with meals anyway, maybe a sip or 2... and I don't always wait 30 mins. Yeah, I'm probably a bad person :-)

7. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

My nutritionist said our stomach is like a funnel. Put food in there and it will stay and keep you full. Add a glass of water and you will wash that food through the funnel and you will be hungry much sooner. Makes sense to me.

At home I never drink with meals or about a half hour after. Eating out I don't exactly follow the rules, as I'll often have a glass of wine with my meal!

I only eat fast food on road trips, and it's always funny ordering. I'll order something small and they will ask what I want to drink. "Nothing". Would you like a cup for water? "No" Then I get an odd look.

9. Said thanks:

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

My Dr. explained it to me that if you drink right before you will not be able to eat as much necessary nutrient dense food, and that if you drink right after, you risk flushing your nutrients down before your (small) stomach has an opportunity to break them down for proper digestion and nutrient absorption.

No idea if he is correct in this description, but I try to stick to the 30 minute rule as much as possible. It also helps me with my need to curb eating snacks. I drink a bottle of water and then I have to wait 30 minutes until I can eat...... Usually the desire to snack / nibble passes by that point and I don't do it!
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

I'm glad you asked because my experience is that if I eat and then drink too soon after I feel like it "backs up". So it feels like the food is taking all the space and the liquid can't go down, which seems to be opposite of the idea that we would flush the food down and out. For me, it's slightly uncomfortable and sometimes I even have a bit of a gurgle.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    My nutritionist said our stomach is like a funnel. Put food in there and it will stay and keep you full. Add a glass of water and you will wash that food through the funnel and you will be hungry much sooner. Makes sense to me.

At home I never drink with meals or about a half hour after. Eating out I don't exactly follow the rules, as I'll often have a glass of wine with my meal!

I only eat fast food on road trips, and it's always funny ordering. I'll order something small and they will ask what I want to drink. "Nothing". Would you like a cup for water? "No" Then I get an odd look.
    When I ask for a plain hamburger (or chicken breast) with NO bread, they ask at least twice, and I finally say "I would like a naked sandwich". Then they get it.

I also observe the 30 minutes -- if I drink with food, I have a much higher chance of having "froth" or full blown "spew". Very touchy stomach. If we go out to a happy hour (in our case "early bird" special) and our companions are going to have several glasses of wine or beer, I order a glass of wine and drink about 1/2 of it since it takes about 30 minute to get whatever food I've ordered.

Everyone finds there own way, but compliance with medical advice has served me well so far in life!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you all for your input, it is very much appreciated!
    It still doesn't make much sense to me.

The pylorus is a circulair muscle, which completely closes the stomach.
    When there is food in the stomach, it opens from time to time, to let a little bit of pre-digested food through.
    When we drink fluids with our meal, there will be less room in our stomach for the food, that makes sense.
    But I still don't think, that there will be much "flushing", because the pylorus is closed, it is not an open canal.
    It's a muscle that relaxes from time to time, to let food pass.

Like I said, I do follow the rule about not drinking with meals up to 30 (or more) minutes after.
    But it's still not clear to me why that rule is there.
    I'm just wondering if this is a rule from the ancient GBP times, when the sleeve wasn't invented yet?
    Because with the bypass it totally makes sense.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

18. Said thanks: