Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    05-05-2018 07:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default I don't understand all of this...

Hello everyone! I just read Donna's intro and you are all so helpful! Please help me understand this...So those of you on the pre-op liquid diet, do they recommend how many calories or just how many bottles of the shakes to drink a day?

I am researching the pre-op for a sleeve. For 3 months of eating less than 1000 cal and 1 hour of hard labor a day I did not have a loss. Doctor said I was starving myself, so I went up to 1800 cal for 6 months- nothing! All of my doctors are now routing for me to get a sleeve.

One website I read said post-op is 7 days clear liquids NO calories. Is that right?

Deb

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I don't understand all of this...

So here is the interesting thing about the pre and post op diet....it varies greatly by surgeon preference. My pre op diet consisted of 6 days of eating a meal of lean protein and veggies and 2 shakes. I could also have sugar free jello and sugar free popsicles and broth to my hearts content. Then I had 3 days of full liquids (shakes, water, tea, coffee, skim milk, etc). Post op I was on full liquid diet for 2 weeks, 2 weeks of soft/pureed foods, and then regular solids. I have seen many variations of this. And oddly enough, when you are super low cal before being sleeved a lot of people won't lose...but for whatever reason....you do after you have been sleeved. As for calories on the pre and post op MOST surgeons focus solely on protein and fluid intake and not calories. There are some who do but an overwhelming majority are just worried that you will get in enough protein and liquids.
    So while you were looking for clarification....truth be told it is about your surgeons preference. There is no right or wrong, as everyone still loses.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Dr. Felix
    Last Activity
    06-20-2023 02:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 80 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum. I can't really give you any advice or answer your question, but if anyone can, it will be the folks on this forum.

Good luck on your journey. This is a great resource for research.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Every surgeon is different. I had to do the pre-op diet for 5 days, basically protein shakes but I could also have broth, sugar free popsicles, etc. I had no calorie requirement, I was told if I was hungry to have another shake. (Some people do 2 weeks of the pre-op diet, others just can't eat after midnight the night before surgery). I like Christie's response, "There is no right or wrong, as everyone still loses."

I did nothing before that 5 days to "prepare" for sleeve surgery, except research what to do after. I was self-pay so had no "hoops" to jump through, like I didn't have to lose any weight before surgery.

Good luck! It's so much fun!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Kim
    Surgery date
    03/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Awad
    Last Activity
    06-16-2018 02:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times

For my pre-op diet, I drank 3 protein shakes a day. No food. It was 160 calories each and 30 grams of protein. That was the week before my surgery. I thought I would be starving, but I actually wasn't.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    04/09/2018
    Surgeon
    Roy Cobean MD
    Last Activity
    02-16-2021 08:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

All of the information you receive from your surgeon's office is vital to follow to the T or they could cancel your surgery. Like mentioned above, almost every surgeon has a different plan to follow; pre and post op. One is not better than the other, but its key to follow it none the less. The purpose of the pre op diet is to shrink your liver so they can move it easily to get to your stomach, they are close to each other and less internal fat and smaller liver makes it easy for the surgeon to perform the vertical sleeve gastrectomy. For pre op, it was for two weeks. I was given two choices; 3 protein drinks plus 2 frozen under 300 calorie meals a day with unlimited veggies OR 3 protein drinks and 6 oz protein split between two meals and unlimited non starchy veggies. No calorie counting. I chose the second choice because it was more food and more variety. It sure did get me in the mental zone and I wanted to cheat so badly but I didn't. I must say, the pre op diet was the worst phase out of them all because I felt very deprived and hungry most of the time. I kept my eye on the goal and 2 weeks and 11 pounds later, surgery happened. Best thing ever. I have had no issues or complications and have settled in nicely watching the pounds melt away almost daily. It's a whole re-learning of what to eat and how that food effects you. Pre op sucks and you will get lots of opinions on which one is best, but always follow your doctors plan and you will succeed.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Kim
    Surgery date
    03/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Awad
    Last Activity
    06-16-2018 02:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times

thanks