Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default 18 Month Update

Where to start? I cannot believe it has been 18 months already. Where has the time gone? It seems like just yesterday I was going through the process of getting insurance approval to be sleeved. I swear, that the insurance process seemed to take forever but since I have been sleeved it has absolutely flown by. I have been in maintenance since about 10 months post op. I thought I was in maintenance at 8 months but my body had other ideas and I dropped down some more over the next 2 months.
    For those of you who are new or don't know me I have been active on this site since the month I had my surgery. I lurked as a visitor for a bit before that. Just a quick overview of my journey. I started at 207 and I am only 4'11". When I first came out of surgery I was in pain and dry heaving. (I do know I have issues with anesthesia, though.) They gave me some pain meds and I fell asleep. When I woke back up I was fine. A little queasy but overall fine. I walked a lot in the hospital. Went home the next day. I had a rather uneventful recovery. Slept a lot off and on for the next week. Kept sipping and walking. I only used my pain meds and anti nausea meds about 3 or 4 times each. I was fine. Had some fake hunger pangs courtesy of stomach acid. LOL. Got some Pepcid for that. Went back to work exactly a week post op. I have a desk job, though, so it was easy to manage.
    Over the next weeks and months I learned a lot about listening to my body and what it tells me. It only takes a few times of making the mistake of eating too fast or too much to make you more in tune. LOL. It is not a good feeling at all. As the infamous ANNIE would say...TOAD FROTH. If you are pre op or early post op and have not experienced it....when you do you will know immediately what that is. My surgeon told me to listen to my body when it came to exercising. Started small. Used the C25K app (free from Zen Labs) to get into running again. Had a few set backs when my hip started hurting. (Odd, I know.) Then started again. Was running for quite a while, did a few 5 K's, and then my knee started to hurt. Took another break. Ran the Rock and Roll Half Marathon in December with an injured knee. Had to stop running again. Started strength training December 14th. Started running again slowly in late January. Now back to doing both running and strength training. My body looks so fit and lean from the working out. I am so glad I started working out.
    I have lost 99 lbs on my 4'11" frame. I have very little loose skin. I think it is a combination of genetics, good nutrition, exercise, and vitamins. I definitely had more initially and it has continued to get better and better. I am going to share with you all some of the things I have learned on this journey.
    1. Hydration is crucial. I see a lot of people on here who get sick from getting dehydrated. So do whatever it takes to prevent that from happening to you.
    2. Vitamins. I know some people on here will poo poo this advice and to each their own but here is my take. I am 18 months out and still do not eat huge quanities. Some times I can get full from just my meat. Unless you are damn talented you are not going to get all the vitamins and minerals that you need. A lot of non sleeved people are missing essential vitamins and minerals and they have normal sized bellies. There is a reason doctors tell people to take a multi vitamin. Those of us who are sleeved have a better chance to be lacking. Especially B12, calcium, thiamine, and iron.
    3. Exercise. We went through all of this to get healthy. Yes, being thin will help us be healthier. But we have this brand new lease on life. Exercise is only going to help that. Especially when trying to maintain our healthy new weights. I know some people maintain for a while without exercise. But you do see people come back years later who say they have gained 20, 30, 40, or more pounds. Common theme with them all? They all say they started slipping with their eating and exercise habits. Everyone will do what they want. I am a firm believer in exercise. I also believe it is why my saggy skin is minimal. It steadily continues to improve. I could not imagine what my legs would look like without it.
    4. Protein is your best friend. Solid proteins. Not just shakes and soft foods. Solid proteins will fill up that little sleeved belly and keep it full longer than anything else. Obviously the longer we stay full the less likely it is for us to graze or be tempted to eat crap foods.
    5. Have a good support network. Reach out when you need help. Don't struggle on your own. We have all had our stumbles but we get up and keep going.
    6. Weigh yourself. This is a hot topic item. Some people believing in constant monitoring, while others believe in monthly weigh ins. I can see how during the weight loss process it is helpful to not fixate on the scale. BUT...my PERSONAL belief for maintenance is daily weigh ins. You need to have a plan to keep yourself on track and accountable. I have a 5 lb range. Is it too strict? I don't think so. How easy would it be to let 5 lbs turn to 50? I see it often on here. That will NOT be me. I weigh myself daily. It is normal for weight to fluctuate bit. But I know if I were to ever hit 5 lbs above my current weight of 108 I would spring into action to ensure I get back down. I never want to find myself obese again.
    7. Never stop making you a priority. I think a lot of people got overweight by putting themselves on the backburner. And this surgery was us taking back our lives and making ourselves a priority. Being justifiably selfish. Don't stop being selfish. You matter. You cannot take care of others if you are not taking care of yourself.
    8. Listen to your body. You cannot be 100% rigid with this process. You can occasionally indulge in something. You cannot do it all the time, though. If your body is craving something...have a piece of lean protein. If you are still really craving it...have the item you are craving. If you already had a piece of protein you are not going to have much room for it but that taste will most likely satisfy the craving.
    9. Enjoy your new lease on life. Try something new. Be bold. Be brave. Be amazing. Be unpredictable. You are not going to like everything you try but until you try it...how will you know you don't like it.
    10. Get your family into your new lifestyle. Get them eating right and do physical family activities together such as biking, races, hiking, yard games, and so much more. My husband has lost 40 lbs being on this journey with me.
    10. Have fun. This journey is not always easy and not always fun. There are lots of fun aspects of it. Like watching yourself shrink, getting smaller clothes, taking less meds, crossing your legs, wearing a skirt without chaffing, getting loads of compliments.....
    11. And lastly...never let someone sabotage you. It happens. Friends and families can get weird with the weight loss. They think we are too thin or what not. They encourage us to eat when we are not hungry. Try to push us into eating things we know are not good for us. Pressure us. Don't allow anyone to take away your control. You got this. You are amazing. No one can take this away from you but you. Own it....all your successes and failures. You have all the power.

Thank you all for listening to my ramblings. I just want to say that maintenance has been easier than I had imagined it would be. Hopefully that continues to be the truth.

PS-I bought an Instant Pot and it has totally made making healthy foods super duper easy. It is an electric pressure cooker. There are other brands out there. I cook in it about 4-6 days out of the week. So much easier.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 18 Month Update

I Love, love, love this post!
    What an incredible journey you have been on Christie. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us. All so true!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Juanita62's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    Stephen Archer
    Last Activity
    08-31-2020 09:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 156 Times

Thank you so much for sharing! I feel like printing this out and putting it somewhere so I can see it everyday

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Christie, wow what a journey and thank you for writing about it. Your tips are really good and you are inspirational. What is Toad froth? I am petrified of having loose skin and hope I won't have too much. As soon as I am allowed I am going back to my personal trainer to do lots of weights. I usually swim and play tennis. Well done and keep posting. ��

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you Christie!
    Insightful as always!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Luv49ers19's Avatar
    Name
    Cody
    Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Daniel Leslie
    Last Activity
    09-27-2018 08:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 760 Times
    Was Thanked 547 Times in 375 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 275 Times
    Blog Entries

You are a rockstar Christie! Thank you so much for all your advice and help with my journey! You have the recipe for success in the long run. I entered maintenance phase recently and will be a year out in about 2 weeks. Super excited to still follow you on your journey!
    Hw: 260
    Sw: 260 10/23/16
    Weight at time of sleeve 209 (-51)
    Sleeve date 5/23/17
    1 month:187 (-22)
    2 month:178 (-9)
    3 month:172 (-6)
    4 month:162 (-10)
    5 month:150 (-12) (10/28/17) 6 month goal!!!!
    6 month: 143 (-7)
    7 month: 136 (-7)
    8 month: 131 (-5) made goal weight 130 (2/8/2017)
    9 month: 125 (-6)
    10 month: 120 (-5)
    11 month: 115 (-5)
    1 year: 114 (-1)
    16 months: 120 (+6)

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Nawwwwww you float my boat Missy xxxx

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Melissa888's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Mark Antonetti
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 52 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 61 Times

Great post! Agree 100% with all you stated and follow all myself. Basically common sense put into action. Great job!

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Walter Cha
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 07:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Wow! What a great job. Your are one of the poster children for gastric sleeve surgery. You should be required reading for all who consider a surgery and those that already had the procedure. You hit on all of the important points, how to eat, how to drink, how to work out, how to maintain and most important how to make a lifestyle change for your own well being. Keep up the good work and a sincere congratulations on your awesome success. I read your posts for inspiration on a constant basis. You go girl! Good job.

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Rex
    Surgery date
    11/13/2018
    Surgeon
    Christopher D. Joyce
    Last Activity
    01-31-2019 09:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 158 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

An inspirational example of how to take back control of your health and life! I'm saving your tips to a WORD docx to have available after surgery for motivation. It reminds me of a Bruce Lee quote, "Knowledge is not enough...one must apply it. Willing is not enough...one must do."

21. Said thanks:

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

Such helpful advice. I'm saving this, too, to re-read. You've helped inspire me so far and I will continue to look to you for advice, encouragement & inspiration.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr.Pace
    Last Activity
    01-26-2021 07:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 66 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Congratulations you are doing AWSOME

25. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/30/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Robert Barbalinardo
    Last Activity
    07-08-2018 08:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 50 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Congratulations on your great job!
    Surgery on April 30, 2018
    HW: 489
    4/25: 452
    1 WK POST SURGERY: 439
    2 WKS POST SURGERY: 427

27. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you all for the kind words. I couldn't have been so successful without all of the veterans on here with their great advice and the support of all of you on here.

29. Said thanks:

Name
    Brenda
    Surgery date
    04/24/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alvarez
    Last Activity
    07-04-2019 06:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Christie!!! get outta my head! I love love love this post! Re reading essentials!! 12 days post op! working it!

31. Said thanks: