Dr. Felix
    Last Activity
    06-20-2023 02:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 80 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Looking at the first step

Hello everyone! I am very glad this community exists and is so active. Thank you all for taking time out of your day to build this, and to be a resource for people .

I have not consulted with a surgeon yet. Though, I expect on my next doctors appointment I am going to request a consultation so I can get started. This is so intimidating.

Can you recommend your favorite Instagram users or Facebook accounts or anything like that? Any favorite websites (other than this)? Books? Anything. I like to research and read everything I can before jumping into something.

Oh, I suppose I should include a little bit about myself, huh? I am in my early 30's, happily married with several fur children. My husband and I like to go fishing and hiking outside when the weather is nice.

I would appreciate any good advice or words of wisdom you all have to offer. My next doctors appointment is in just a few days. I'm nervous but excited. I've been trying to lose weight myself for years now, one thing after another. It is such a struggle and I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Thank you all for reading. I am looking forward to looking around!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking at the first step

Welcome. There are lots of wonderful people on this forum who are more than happy to share their experiences.
    Ask questions and/or use the search function.
    There is a host of information on the internet. I personally can't recommend anything in particular but I'm sure there will be some that can.
    What I can tell you though is that having surgery was the single best thing that I have done for myself.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome Donna!! Best site for a complete overview------> https://www.obesitycoverage.com/gast...erence-manual/
    This is a great place to read up and ask questions. I absolutely love my sleeve.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Mike
    Surgery date
    03/20/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Heath Smith
    Last Activity
    09-10-2018 08:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard! This whole process can be a bit intimidating, and there's lots of info out there - some of which isn't very accurate, some scary, and some referring to other procedures. Myself, I'm a bit of a analytical fool, so most of my research was through looking at articles and studies about the procedure and it's side effects.

Towards that end, Google searches can be your friend. Both the New York Times and Washington Post have in the past year or so had several good articles about gastric sleeve operations, how individuals or groups of individuals fared, what their experience was up to a year later, and so on. I don't have the links right here, but I'd encourage you to dig those up, they are pretty balanced.

A good book that is about a year old, Secrets from the Eating Lab by Traci Mann, is a great book covering how diets don't work for most, how the body reacts to efforts to restrict intake of food, and how it tries to accommodate reduced intake through changes in metabolism and hunger hormones to preserve the existing food balance. For anyone who has tried and "failed" at diets multiple times (I'll raise my hand), it's reassuring to see that the desk is stacked against us up front.

I'm roughly six weeks out from my procedure, and down over 50 pounds from my start point. I'm in my 50's and have struggled with weight since my 20's. What this procedure does is reduce the sheer hunger drive that I had before. I still have mental cravings, but a) I can't eat that much of anything, my dining capacity is about 1/4 to 1/2 cup, and b) I really don't feel that "gotta eat something, and a lot of it!" feeling that I used to. I'm pretty happy living at 1100 - 1400 calories / day (most days are around the 1100 - 1200 level) without feeling at all deprived.

One thought to consider, this really is a lifestyle change which does impact your relationship with food. Just keep that in mind. My wife and I used to do lots of things centered around eating, and suddenly that got clobbered. We're adapting, and managing well, but it's something we have talked about a lot. Eating out is a lot different when you do it in small quantities. Not being able to eat an entire breakfast sandwich at McDonalds (think 1/3 maybe) does change things. On the flip side, being chubby enough that standing up from working on the floor is a major physical ordeal is something I'm happy to put behind me. Lots of life to live when you can move. Plus tripping no longer triggers earthquake warnings...

Best wishes on your progress. Ask lots of questions, keep reading and thinking of how you'll manage the process, and you'll do great.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member The North Sleeve's Avatar
    Name
    Mike
    Surgery date
    04/20/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Luthra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2019 05:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 79 Times in 63 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 266 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello, I think it is great you are thinking of taking that first step. You have to make that move at some point it might as well be now. I would like to add my two-cents in learning more information about this procedure. I watched a ton of youtube videos about gastric sleeve surgery which really taught me a lot. Many people talk from the heart and include true feelings which I enjoyed.

I liked it so much I decided to start documenting my own journey on youtube as well. I think it is a great thing to share with others and a great way to see many points of view about the process. It can help you make some hard decisions about yourself. You can type in my name on youtube and see my journey so far.

I wish you the best of luck in your decisions and don't be afraid to ask any questions.
    The North Sleeve (youtube channel) Come view my journey

Click Here >>>>>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA9...J4yMqFXxkl6WzA

VSG Surgery April 20, 2018
    Height 6'2
    High Weight 354 lbs
    Surgery Weight 333 lbs

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Dr. Felix
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 80 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you all so much! I'm so impressed with how welcoming you all are.

MikeMo, I will definitely go digging for those articles! Maybe also that book.

Congratulations on your journey so far. I don't really care if I can't eat a whole sandwich from McDonald's, when the benefit is feeling so much better. I understand your point, though. It's a totally different life.

North, I will go look you up on YouTube! Thank you very much!

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Welcome Donna, you already been given some good resources I just wanted to show you another success story. Before the Sleeve I thought about food all the time and struggled to gain control. It wasn’t until I had a wake up call with my health. I was in remission with my MS and my other ailments but I had developed diabetes, severe obstructed sleep apnea and I had CHF for a couple years along with high cholesterol. I went to visit my brother and my new niece and my toddler nephew that I had my wake up call. I could barely climb a flight of stairs and struggled to play with the kids on the floor. So I started eating less and eating healthy which wasn’t that hard given we’re I was which was Aspen Colorado. I started walking everywhere and walking up and down hills everyday. I lost 22lbs in 5 weeks. It was the best feeling. I came home and learned about the Sleeve and after learning all about it I knew this was the tool for me. It was the best decision I could have made! I’m finally living the life I would spend Dreaming about. I just graduated from Climbing school and this weekend I’m taking the level in Rock Climbing. I’m getting ready to climb Mt St Helens and this summer I plan to climb Mt Adams’s, Mt Hood, Mt Shasta . I backpack all over. In 9.5 mos I hiked over 1500 miles, yes I mean over 1,500!!!! In July I’m going on a trip to Montana and backpacking 140 miles in 14days. If your ready to make changes to your diet and start living an active lifestyle The Sleeve will work amazingly well and does make those healthier choices a lot easier!!! Work to discover what your Passions are. Find Away to live an active lifestyle and find what you enjoy! Makes it a lot more fun. I’m happy to answer any questions. I wish you all the Best. I like to show Some if my worst pics along with the best pics and pics showing what is possible with the Sleeve surgery. You can do anything you set your mind too!! CA616D90-AC92-466C-916B-4AD3F2818F87.jpeg5DD980EF-5F9A-49E0-A9CC-DDAA14826D99.jpeg3D707B64-197B-4B1F-9312-B6B68994CA2D.jpegAFCDB71C-6217-40C0-A4AD-0CB0A85647B1.jpeg9B59B268-F144-4AE4-8760-FC3791E5496F.jpeg596A2CEB-FA9C-4443-894F-916279F511C1.jpegFDC496DB-C98C-41B6-AD5D-CAEEAD3CE604.jpeg
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times

1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. Felix
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 80 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh, wow, Tamera, that is so amazing! What an awesome transformation. I can't even fathom the idea of doing something that intense. I walk a lot, but definitely nothing like that, and never any intense hiking. How soon after your surgery were you able to get into all of that?

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. Felix
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 80 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    Welcome Donna!! Best site for a complete overview------>
    This is a great place to read up and ask questions. I absolutely love my sleeve.
    Thank you for this recommendation. There is definitely a lot of information there! I will be spending a lot of time reading through this.

I've been watching tons of YouTube videos and looking up lots of people on Instagram, just kind of taking in everything I can. I want to have a good idea what to expect, before I ever enter the surgeons office.

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times

Quote Originally Posted by donnahellno View Post
    Oh, wow, Tamera, that is so amazing! What an awesome transformation. I can't even fathom the idea of doing something that intense. I walk a lot, but definitely nothing like that, and never any intense hiking. How soon after your surgery were you able to get into all of that?
    Thank you very much Donna. I never would have thought I would be into mountaineering and rock climbing either but I discovered has I took up hiking and got into better shape I love to challenge myself and really enjoy being on the mountain. I started hiking about 8 weeks post op and would slowly add mileage and elevation gain. I started walking 5-7 miles a day week 2. I would walk the indoor track at the gym and at 4 weeks post op I added stationary bike and elliptical with stationary arms. Then added weights at 8 weeks Post op. Will be fun to learn what your passion or interest are when you start loosing weight. I joined hiking and outdoor adventure groups when I first started hiking. There are different meet up groups for all kinds of interest on the internet. It’s been a fun way to meet friends that love to hike and climb.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Before surgery I really loved watching all the youtube videos of people who had the sleeve, found them so inspirational. My favorite was one girl at goal weight who said how easy the whole thing was. That's how I feel. Easy and fun!

Plus I've been on this site for probably 5 years now. Keeps me accountable. Helps me maintain my weight loss.

Good luck! My nurse said her sleeve patients are the most educated ones she sees. (But I guess that makes sense, because it is an elective surgery that we have time to research.)

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. Felix
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 80 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Before surgery I really loved watching all the youtube videos of people who had the sleeve, found them so inspirational. My favorite was one girl at goal weight who said how easy the whole thing was. That's how I feel. Easy and fun!

Plus I've been on this site for probably 5 years now. Keeps me accountable. Helps me maintain my weight loss.

Good luck! My nurse said her sleeve patients are the most educated ones she sees. (But I guess that makes sense, because it is an elective surgery that we have time to research.)
    I've been spending a LOT of time on YouTube. Research is my thing and I like to have a good amount of knowledge before I ever step in the door. Plus the inspirational stories really help.

This is all so intimidating but I think it's worth it. I'm excited to go see my doctor so we can get started. My appointment is next week and then hopefully I will find out who the surgeon would be.

23. Said thanks: