Dr. Rohit A Patel
    Last Activity
    06-22-2018 09:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Default I need help

Hi Friends! I had surgery on April 18th and am not doing to good. I’ve tried multiple proteins and none are sitting right with me. I can keep them down, they just make me feel so nauseous and sick that I can’t drink them again for the rest of the day. My Nurse Practitioner told me not to worry about protein goals right now which is fine but a bit worrisome.

I just want some suggestions on proteins that I can try to find one to work for me, even if it’s only 20-25 grams per day I get down for now.

Starting consult weight Nov 2017: 262

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member TheSassWay's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/08/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marvin
    Last Activity
    03-05-2020 12:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I need help

Hate to hear that you aren’t doing so well but it does get better with time. The first took weeks my doctor told me not to focus on protein but to keep hydrated. To make sure I’m getting my fluids in, that was his main goal. What I found to work in Syntrax Nectar. It’s a juic whey protein. One packet or one scoop is equivalent to 23 g of protein. My favorites thus far is the Kiwi Strawberry and Fuzzel Navel. Hope you feel better soon!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pugtato View Post
    Hi Friends! I had surgery on April 18th and am not doing to good. I’ve tried multiple proteins and none are sitting right with me. I can keep them down, they just make me feel so nauseous and sick that I can’t drink them again for the rest of the day. My Nurse Practitioner told me not to worry about protein goals right now which is fine but a bit worrisome.

I just want some suggestions on proteins that I can try to find one to work for me, even if it’s only 20-25 grams per day I get down for now.
    HI Pugtato, I had my surgery on 10th April. I am still on liquids as I have to be for a month. I too do not like shakes that much. I only have half a glass of slimfast in the morning. I definitely do not reach my daily quote of protein, but I am managing. I make home made tomato and chicken soup. With the tomato soup I add, quark which is like a cream cheese, to give the tomato soup protein. The chicken soup, i add nothing. I am just making sure I have some fuel in me and also that I am hydrated. You can add beans to your soup which will add protein too, if you are still on the liquid phase just make sure your soup is thin enough to go up a straw but don't drink it with a straw. It is a tough phase but we will get through it. Good luck.

Surgery date
    03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Professor Bulbuller
    Last Activity
    03-05-2020 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 166 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Pugatato,

I can only speak for myself here and it has been a choice after lots of different research.
    I drink coffee and water and probiotic drinks. Also any herbal tea or fruit tea add honey if you need to cheer them up.

I add my protein powder to hilites drinking chocolate, I mix it with a drop of cold water to blend then boiling water - in a small cup so it is not over whelming.
    I honestly only do that once or twice a week.

I decided to put vegetables, Salads and fruits first.
    Then if I can manage it I have fish with vegetables whisked up into a liquid.
    I still struggle with any real amounts of food, I get acid and the pressure starts.

So I walk away and come back 30 mins later and try again if I can't manage it I wait until the next meal and try something like courgette, carrots diced and tiny tiny amounts and then try a different vegetable or fish every day.
    I am 8 weeks on from my operation and I still find water difficult.
    Focus on hydration and something easy to drink - I have herbal tea of every variety.
    Today I started with a smoothie but its took 4 weeks to be successful with that.
    I will PM you with a link.

I did not follow all of my dieticians advice as I am not Turkish and I felt choosing good quality was something that would be a goal not a must.
    So Hydration first ! then veg then protein and introducing only one thing and coming back to it another time if needed.

Yes I was tired all the time but I gave into it and I focused on healing my new sleeve (MY BABY) I listen to her.... she needs comfort and kindness to heal.
    The rest will come after the healing starts.
    Comfortable is all I aim for and an awareness to try try again.
    But I really have not gone to town with protein powder I just try to have nutrition and balance of different nutrients in vegetables.
    I drink coffee with a dash of lite milk even though they said wait 4 weeks it actually worked well for me at 3 weeks.

I think all of this is an acquired skill - You are doing great !
    I don't exercise at the moment either just a little walk for movement and air.
    I don't have enough calories for that just yet but each day brings a little more and so I really try to do only what feels comfortable.
    I am not suggesting you do as I have but I hope you can find comfort in your own exploration and most of all don't allow your self to feel stress.

All The Best xx

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Without protein your energy won't return. Could you go to GNC or the Vitamin Shoppe and but one of everything that looks good? Then when you find something you like, but it in bulk. I never liked the creamy shakes but did like the ones that were more like Gatoraid, like Isopure with 40 grams of protein (diluted with a lot of ice - really strong flavors) or biPro Protein Water (20 grams). Or there's protein powder to add to drinks/foods you like. Start looking around! Good luck!

I always got in my required protein and liquids starting the day I got home. But I was lucky never to be sick. Be sure you are at least drinking, as you don't want to end up back in the hospital with dehydration. To do that you may have to take teeny-tiny sips every waking moment.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

The super high protein shakes made me sick to my stomach, too. I drink the EAS Advant Edge Low Carb. They are only 17 grams of protein and 100 cals per container. Much lower than the Premier. I don't know if they will work for you but it is worth a try. My favorite flavor is Cold Brew Coffee flavor or any of the chocolates. I did not like the vanilla or strawberry. If you like coffee you can also try making yourself some espresso and then adding Fa!rlife milk. It has 13 g protein per cup. I start every day with my big cup of coffee like that. 6 ounces of espresso, 1.5 cups Fa!rlife skim milk, 2 Splenda, and a scoop of collagen powder. It give me 29.5 grams of protein, 10 carbs, and 165 calories. It takes me a while to drink it, which keeps me full. Don't know if that will help you. The Fa!rlife milk is especially convenient because it is lactose free and good for 2 weeks after opening.

Gastric Sleeve Member Juanita62's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    Stephen Archer
    Last Activity
    08-31-2020 09:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 156 Times

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWade View Post
    Hate to hear that you aren’t doing so well but it does get better with time. The first took weeks my doctor told me not to focus on protein but to keep hydrated. To make sure I’m getting my fluids in, that was his main goal. What I found to work in Syntrax Nectar. It’s a juic whey protein. One packet or one scoop is equivalent to 23 g of protein. My favorites thus far is the Kiwi Strawberry and Fuzzel Navel. Hope you feel better soon!
    After reading this I went to Amazon and ordered the Syntrax Nectar variety pack. I tried the chocolate truffle and it was delicious! I also like that it's a thinner consistency than the Premier shakes that I have been struggling to get down! I can't wait to try the juice flavors in my water. I feel like this is going to make it so much easier to get my protein in each day. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/18/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rohit A Patel
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Blog Entries

I haven met my protein goal once, I think today I only had about 3 grams or protein. They make me sick, nauseous sick. They stay down, but uncomfortably. I start puréed food Wednesday, I can’t wait.

Nothing is working for me, I feel hopeless at this stage!

Surgery date
    05/07/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos-Kelly
    Last Activity
    08-26-2018 04:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times

Egg drop soup saved me in those early days. Got so sick of sweet drinks!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/18/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rohit A Patel
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Blog Entries

I honestly didn’t even think about this ����*♂️ You may be a life saver DebbieD

Gastric Sleeve Member LivvyLove's Avatar
    Name
    Olivia
    Surgery date
    04/17/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ali
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I had my surgery on April 17th and have been actually pretty good about hitting my protein goals so far. I don’t drink protein shakes because they all upset my stomach. My stomach was a pissy little P.I.T.A.(Pain In The Ass) before I had surgery anyway. I have been using GenPro protein powder which gets 30g of protein per serving. It is tasteless and can be put in pretty much anything. I like to put in in a glass of Lactaid(since dairy is not my friend) and some sugar free chocolate syrup and with those two together I get 38g of protein in an 8oz cup. Might take a while to drink but after an hour or two I’m all thru it. I also put it in a 1/2 cup of cream of chicken soup with Lactaid in it. Gives me almost 35g of protein in that serving. I have also been drinking a yogurt that has extra protein in it. My doctors want me getting around 80g of protein a day. So far I’m down 19 lbs. since surgery. Maybe something like that would work for you.

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

^^^^^^^^ so much great advice here pug! And I was waiting for Christie and her fair life milk, she's owns the company I reckon! hang in there puggy, its a real transitional time and try all these suggestions. I whinged soooo much about protein shakes at the start. I feel ya! Hope you are doing good today :-)

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by pugtato View Post
    I haven met my protein goal once, I think today I only had about 3 grams or protein. They make me sick, nauseous sick. They stay down, but uncomfortably. I start puréed food Wednesday, I can’t wait.

Nothing is working for me, I feel hopeless at this stage!
    Then you need to call your surgeon. Three grams of protein a day won't cut it.

Gastric Sleeve Member TheSassWay's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/08/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marvin
    Last Activity
    03-05-2020 12:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Juanita62 View Post
    After reading this I went to Amazon and ordered the Syntrax Nectar variety pack. I tried the chocolate truffle and it was delicious! I also like that it's a thinner consistency than the Premier shakes that I have been struggling to get down! I can't wait to try the juice flavors in my water. I feel like this is going to make it so much easier to get my protein in each day. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!
    I’m glad you’re enjoying them!!! It’s killing two birds with one stone. You’re getting your fluids and protein all at once!! I struggle with finishing the premier shakes as well, I may drink half if that. You’re most welcome!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I have also not been getting the required protein in, as I can manage half a glass of the shake. Today is 4 weeks since my surgery and I am finally allowed puree foods, thats for 3 weeks. I am hoping now I can increase my protein intake. For lunch I have made mashed potato, and I added milk, low fat cheese and I have a milled packet of seeds, berries that is high in protein. I moullied it all together so that it would run off my spoon. It was delicious, I stil have loads left for further meals, so I will refrigerate and heat up as needed. Supper is moullied butternut soup and chicken that was cooked in a curry sauce. I am also planning on making stewed apple and having it with low fat custard. When i make strewed apple, I don't add anything to it, so its purely an apple softened. I drink my vitamins. I seem to have enough energy to swim and walk, so feel as along as I can be active I am getting enough nutrients. It will be much easier when I am on proper foods, because then I can log exactly what and how much I am eating to get my exact number correct. keep going and it will get easier.