Last Activity
    09-06-2019 03:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 48 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Calorie and fat intake

Hi all ,

Not posted for a while but I've put a few pounds on and I'm trying to get it off .
    How many calories and fat should I be eating 3 years after my surgery in order to maintain and lose weight please.

Thank you .
    Heather

Weight at pre op - 266lbs
    Weight day of surgery - 257lbs

First target- 210lbs- Hit 29/10/2014
    Second Target - 179lbs-Hit 26/01/2015
    Third target- 166lbs-01/03/2015
    Final target - 147lbs- 28/06/2015
    All done in a total of 10 months and 22 days a total loss of 119lbs and I'm still loosing

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Calorie and fat intake

Hi Heather, I'm only 5 months out so don't have much advice but I'm sure someone will! :-)

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

That depends. What is your activity level, and what has your daily calorie intake been recently?

Fat intake is not as important IMO as carbs and protein. Some fat is essential for good health. I eat around 1500 calories a day (I am 1 year, 3 months post surgery). Some days I will go as high as 1800 but only after a hard exercise day (example: today I rode 22 miles on my road bike and burned 1500 calories doing that).

Really the number depends on you. I would think 1500 - 1800 nutrient dense calories would be a safe bet.

Hope this helps.
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Heather1979's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    08/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    09-06-2019 03:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 48 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you , to be honest with my job I'm not very active at all and we have a hot drinks machine serving hot chocolate and latte so I'm trying to stay away from that. I've definitely noticed I can eat more than I used to be able to eat also. Well done on your weight loss.

Weight at pre op - 266lbs
    Weight day of surgery - 257lbs

First target- 210lbs- Hit 29/10/2014
    Second Target - 179lbs-Hit 26/01/2015
    Third target- 166lbs-01/03/2015
    Final target - 147lbs- 28/06/2015
    All done in a total of 10 months and 22 days a total loss of 119lbs and I'm still loosing

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Thanks! Slider foods won’t fill you up, so you may feel like you can eat more as a result. If you’re not doing it already, start keeping a food diary. It will help you review what it is that your eating. I use the MyFitnessPal app to track all my calories and exercise and it helps me stay honest and on track. I think if you get back to nutrient dense (protein first) foods and keep your calories in the 1500 range you will lose weight. Try to get some exercise as well. It’s all about calories in vs. calories out!

Good luck!
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Heather1979 View Post
    Hi all ,

Not posted for a while but I've put a few pounds on and I'm trying to get it off .
    How many calories and fat should I be eating 3 years after my surgery in order to maintain and lose weight please.

Thank you .
    Heather

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but, that question sounds like a weight watchers question vs a sleeve question. If you are counting calories and fat three years out, then you are on a diet.

Diets suck.

So...the answer to your question isn’t on this board, it’s inside of you. You know what it took when you lost weight, so the answer is probably in that neighborhood. IMO, cutting out some of the extras you are eating and drinking will probably do the trick. A full on low fat/low cal diet will only lead to frustration. Will it work? Sure. But then you’ll have yourself believing that the only way to maintain is to eat like you are on weight watchers. I’m here to tell you that in my opinion, that just ain’t true......and I suspect you already know it. Can you live the rest of your life on weight watchers? You know the answer to that too.

So, get busy figuring out how to lose the weight you want to all while living a normal life eating like our skinny brothers and sisters do.

For me, when I gain, (and I do gain from time to time) all I have to do is up the protein, fat, and carbs and cut back on the margaritas and I will drop faster than I gained it. Remember, protein turns on your metabolism and fat and carbs are what fuels it. Super charge you metabolism....not starve it. Hell, one time I decided to drink a gallon of water a day and not change anything else. I dropped five pounds in two days. Why? Because I was chronically dehydrated. You may be too. It could be as simple as you making sure you strictly adhere to the 80/64 for a week. If you have not been doing that, then I’m betting that’s the culprit. Not mochajavanators.

Ann, sraebear, have good advice because they have a big old dose of been there, ate that, gained and lost that, and know what it takes to maintain.

I’ll be six years sleeved in August. I’m pretty sure I’ve got this dealio figured out. This morning I weighed two pounds under my goal.....after five years of maintenance. Take my word for it. You’ve got to figure out how to live sleeved in a non sleeved world. That lesson, IMO does not include dieting.....but that’s just me.

To quote my favorite Annism, “your mileage may vary”..

Peace

12. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I have never counted calories or fat. I was never told to count calories or fat, I was told to count protein and liquids. I eat protein first, then veggies, then carbs if room. I follow the sleeve rules, take my vitamins, don't drink with meals, exercise, etc. I've kept my weight off for almost 5 years! I did gain 5 pounds following an injury where I couldn't exercise, but have since lost 10, so I'm 5 pounds below my goal weight. Feeling good. I never deprive myself, if I feel like a piece of pizza or a taco now and then, no biggie. I don't overeat. I'm like Tinman, I refuse to be on a diet ever again. I also refuse to regain my weight ever again.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Agree with what Glenn said. It is about your activity level and your intake. Also, your focus should be protein first, then veggies, then carbs if room. Healthy carbs. And I would limit the amount of calories you drink. Drinking doesn't fill you up but the calories can add up quickly. I would try to find a way to get some activity in. If you watch TV at time maybe find something that you can do when you are watching TV like some free weights and cardio movements. Good on you for trying to stop the weight gain while it is minimal instead of letting yourself gain a lot of weight. I think that is where a lot of people mess up is that they left a few pounds turn into 30+.

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Gege
    Surgery date
    11/17/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Peter Rantis
    Last Activity
    04-07-2020 10:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 67 Times
    Was Thanked 93 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Please don’t take this the wrong way, but, that question sounds like a weight watchers question vs a sleeve question. If you are counting calories and fat three years out, then you are on a diet.

Diets suck.

So...the answer to your question isn’t on this board, it’s inside of you. You know what it took when you lost weight, so the answer is probably in that neighborhood. IMO, cutting out some of the extras you are eating and drinking will probably do the trick. A full on low fat/low cal diet will only lead to frustration. Will it work? Sure. But then you’ll have yourself believing that the only way to maintain is to eat like you are on weight watchers. I’m here to tell you that in my opinion, that just ain’t true......and I suspect you already know it. Can you live the rest of your life on weight watchers? You know the answer to that too.

So, get busy figuring out how to lose the weight you want to all while living a normal life eating like our skinny brothers and sisters do.

For me, when I gain, (and I do gain from time to time) all I have to do is up the protein, fat, and carbs and cut back on the margaritas and I will drop faster than I gained it. Remember, protein turns on your metabolism and fat and carbs are what fuels it. Super charge you metabolism....not starve it. Hell, one time I decided to drink a gallon of water a day and not change anything else. I dropped five pounds in two days. Why? Because I was chronically dehydrated. You may be too. It could be as simple as you making sure you strictly adhere to the 80/64 for a week. If you have not been doing that, then I’m betting that’s the culprit. Not mochajavanators.

Ann, sraebear, have good advice because they have a big old dose of been there, ate that, gained and lost that, and know what it takes to maintain.

I’ll be six years sleeved in August. I’m pretty sure I’ve got this dealio figured out. This morning I weighed two pounds under my goal.....after five years of maintenance. Take my word for it. You’ve got to figure out how to live sleeved in a non sleeved world. That lesson, IMO does not include dieting.....but that’s just me.

To quote my favorite Annism, “your mileage may vary”..

Peace
    Oh Tinman how I love to read your responses. I am a true believer and sporting a huge loss to prove it. I follow the protein, water, exercise rules (working on the vites) and have a little of everything that I want. It's the only way to go for ME. Thank you for all the advice and wisdom. I am always lurking

Gege

Name
    Gege
    Surgery date
    11/17/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Peter Rantis
    Last Activity
    04-07-2020 10:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 67 Times
    Was Thanked 93 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

I should also say that I'm not very far out. 6 months today so what do I know???? Always learning and adjusting seems to be key. Best of luck!

Gege

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Heather, it's good to hear from you.

You may recall that, unlike Tinman and sraebaer, I'm an avid daily menu planner and food tracker on My Fitness Pal. Since being sleeved nearly four years ago I've lost 100+ pounds and maintained my weight loss like a champ ever since. Here's what is working like a charm for me thus far:

1. I eat (on average) 1,700 - 1,850 calories/day.
    2. I eat (on average) 100 grams of protein/day.
    3. I eat 8 servings of veggies and fruits daily. This is one of my most successful tactics.
    4. I eat lots of whole grains of many kinds, e.g., rices, quinoas, breads, and seeds and nuts.
    5. I minimize or avoid sugary foods and highly processed carby foods.
    6. I still eat slowly, chew my food well, don't drink liquids with meals, and try to eat protein first before other items in a meal.
    7. I consistently take all my daily meds and supplements.
    8. I exercise at least 5 days a week (yoga, aquarobics, walking) and work pretty hard in spring, summer and fall on 25 acres of pasture, yards, flower beds, and woodlands.
    9. I weigh every morning when I'm at home.
    10. I log all my exercise, food, and morning weight into My Fitness Pal.
    11. I see my shrink once a month.
    12. I see my bariatric once a year for my annual follow-up and to have a full bariatric blood panel done.

On the "Different from Above" list of things I have done that haven't fouled me up thus far, I:

13. Have a single glass of wine most evenings unless I'm avoiding alcohol -- like now, following a three-week cruise/vacation because I'm not the least bit interested in any kind of alcohol. And yes, the vacation was that *good*.
    14. When I'm on vacation and traveling I don't track my food, although I certainly keep a strong eye on my eating strategy described above.

In short, I eat ALL kinds of foods, focusing on foods that are highly nutritious and not empty calories -- although I do splurge occasionally, just not very often. For the record, I do NOT feel the least bit like I am dieting. I am simply eating mostly the kinds of foods that give me pleasure, satisfy my appetite, give me energy, and don't make me feel bad physically, mentally or emotionally.

Dealing with Overeating

I occasionally find that some foods become overly tempting for me, and at those times I try to keep my kitchen free of those foods. I've also found that the most vulnerable times for me and lead me to overeat are times when I'm overtired and/or can't get to sleep at night. Four years post-op, I continue to work toward NOT using food to self-medicate myself when life's stresses bite me in the posterior. Because that's one thing about life's stresses -- they don't end just because we lost 100 pounds. Not self-medicating with food is an ongoing project for many (most?) of us, I imagine.

Like everyone else here, I'm a work in progress, and I will be until I die. But I think I'm getting better all the time at this activity I used to be downright awful at called Self Care.

P.S. This morning I weighed 134 pounds.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87