Surgeon
    Dr Walter Cha
    Last Activity
    04-11-2024 07:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default 6 1/2 month post surgery update

Hello everyone. I had my sleeve surgery on October 2, 2017. This was going to be my 6 month update but I either forgot or got busy.
    Let me give you some numbers, I am a 65 year old 6 foot tall male. I was always a good athlete and played football, baseball, softball and competed in weight lifting. I am a retired law enforcement Special Agent and play golf 80 times per year. I played high school football at 210 lbs and was quite fast for my size. About twenty years ago I began gaining that infamous 5 lbs a year. Well after gaining 5 lbs a year for 15 years the numbers added up. I was always able to lose weight for a class reunion, special wedding or my yearly weight loss contests with some friends. I could easily lose 30-45 pounds but it always came back. You all know that story. I tried all the diets. In January of 2017 I attended a bariatric seminar at the Cleveland Clinic. This started the change in everything. Living in Northern Ohio I had access to one of the finest hospitals in the world. In May of 2017 I began the process. I needed to have 3 nutritionist visits with no minimum time frame. I had a complete blood work up, was seen by a cardiologist and a psychologist. Finally I met with my surgeon in July of 2017. At that time I weighed 316 pounds. I began my 2 week liquid pre-op diet on September 19th and weighed 307. I lost 19 lbs on the pre-op diet and on the day of my surgery October 2nd I was 288.

My surgery was for me quite easy, 2 days in the hospital and minimal pain or discomfort. I followed my nutritionist guidelines to the letter. I progressed from the liquid diet to soft foods and finally after 1-2 months was able to eat just about anything. I was not hungry and carefully watched what I ate. For me it was an adjustment but nothing too difficult. I began walking everyday 1 week after surgery. I started with a mile and now can do 5-6 miles with no problem. My niece want me to run a 5 K with her. Maybe. I began losing weight at a very good and steady pace. I lost 25 the first month and 15 the second and then settled in at 8-10 per month until now. Well today April 17th 2018 I weigh 214 pounds. I'm down 94 since the start of pre-op and 74 from my actual surgery date. Yesterday I had my annual physical check up with my main doctor. He is thrilled at my progress. I no longer take any medication for cholesterol or blood pressure. My doctor says I have a near zero chance of ever being diabetic. My blood work came out perfect. All of the vitamin levels are excellent. Blood pressure was 120/70. I feel great and have more energy and mobility than I've had in 30 years. I lost 10 inches off my waist. I now wear size 38 pants and shorts and may need 36 soon. I went from 2xl golf shirt to xl and some large shirts. I now have about 40 2XL golf shirts that I can't use. I just bought about a dozen new shirts. New dress shirts, a sport coat or two and new underwear. But its worth it.

Some quick advice. FOLLOW THE PROGRAM. Listen and follow the nutrition guidelines, drink the water. Every time I stall for a few days or a week I increase my fluid intake and walk more. Boom! The weight continues to fall. Take all your vitamins, everyday. Take a bariatric high potency vitamin. Check our previous posts for what you need. Not all that expensive. Remember to eat a lot of protein. The best advice I can give is listen to the veteran stars on this forum. They went through it and know how to be successful. Don't be offended if you get some tough love from them. We are all in this together. I go on this forum everyday. I reread the success stories and follow those of us that are struggling. We all need support.

Some observations. People treat you different when you are a more normal weight and look fit. More people say hello or engage you in conversation. I don't get tired of someone telling me I look great. I promised my self I will not be a hypocrite and judge other people. I find my self looking at overweight people and wishing I could help them. Seeing young overweight people bothers me. When I grocery shop I now have vegetables, fruit, fish, beans and more healthy items. When I see the grocery carts of younger overweight folks I see all of the wrong stuff. I believe proper nutrition and weight control begins when you shop. But I knew that when I was heavy. I keep my mouth shut but just want to say something to help them. I still know that my weight will still be a struggle. When someone asks me how I lost so much weight I tell them low carbs, no sugar, more protein and walk everyday. We all know that adding a sleeve to this equation is a winning combo. Having a gastric sleeve surgery really works. I am committed to keeping this thing working. You do have to work at it.

The hair loss issue. I noticed at around the 4 month mark I started to notice a little too much hair in the shower. I did notice some thinning on top. It seemed that my hair just stopped growing. I increased my Biotin, Vitamin D and B12 intake. I took all my other vitamins everyday without fail. I am glad to report that any hair loss has stopped and my hair is getting back to normal. I didn't lose much but to me it was evident. It started at the 4 month mark and stopped right at the 6 month mark. A small problem but worth it.

Thanks to all here who have encouraged me and thanks for the success you have had. You are an inspiration. And ladies thanks for the underwear pictures. I will be posting some before and after picture here real soon.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 6 1/2 month post surgery update

My surgery was 10/5/17 -- so I hear ya! And following the program is for ever, and I feel great! Well done and so glad you had such a great experience -- and that your health is good now!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/07/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Lahmann
    Last Activity
    07-09-2018 03:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Love the story. I was amazed that I could use your whole first paragraph to describe me and my story (a few different numbers 65 yrs old, 6'1" 320 lbs). I played all of the sports and still golf quite a bit (not 80 rounds, at least twice a week weather permitting). Being an ex college athlete I thought I could easily take care of my weight issues. Boy, was I wrong. I got caught up in all of the yo-yo dieting for many years. I finally got fed up and decided it was time to change and get a grip on my health. My surgery is scheduled for 5-7-18. I have been following this forum ever since I decided to proceed. I was walking the nervous tightrope for quit a while questioning everything. The vet members on this forum are great in telling the truth no matter what. I only know one other person that has had bariatric surgery and is not someone that I can count on for advice. She had a bypass about 4 years ago and things haven't gone too well (mainly her fault). Your story is very relatable to me and I appreciate it and will use it as inspiration, along with all of the other members who share their knowledge and support. Thanks and continued success!

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Well done Phil, you're a legend :-)

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Way to go Phil! I am so happy for you. And a big LOL for the underwear comment!!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents