Surgeon
    DR DONALD SCHWAB
    Last Activity
    04-22-2018 04:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Angry Epic failure

I had Lapband surgery in oct of 2010. It took me a little over a year to take off 103 pounds. In 2016 i started with real bad reflux. After much discussion with my doctor i decided to have it removed and do the sleeve. I had gained around 40 pounds. Prior to surgery i lost 17 pounds. Surgery went well...or so i thought. I ended up 9 days in the hospital unable to keep anything down so they put a stent in for 6 weeks. Skip to now. I can eat ANYTHING I want. The quantity of food no matter what it is is WAY More than i should be able to consume . I have spoken repeatedly to my doctor and he insists nothing is wrong. Wants me to make a food journal and go back in 2 Weeks. NO MATTER WHAT I EAT I AM NOT LOSING WEIGHT. I have gained since the lowest i was after surgery. I never feel full. I really think the stent stretched it out too much. I am totally disgusted. This surgery came out of my pocket... money i could have used elsewhere. I have given up all hope and wish i would never have removed the band. Anyone else experience this?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Epic failure

No but it sounds bloody awful! Keep going back I guess and maybe there is a tweak they can do. It must be so frustrating for you!

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I have not heard of any band to sleeve conversions that were not successful. As for being able to eat a lot, I can't really say what a lot is when you haven't given us examples of what you eat. I would suggest tracking with a food tracker to get an idea of what you are actually eating. A lot of the sleeve is about what you eat. If you want to show us an actual day of intake we might be able to shed more light on your situation.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Amanda
    Surgery date
    10/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Eagan
    Last Activity
    11-27-2020 12:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 178 Times in 142 Posts

I guess that could be a possibility? Sounds very frustrating.
    My friend got the sleeve 2 weeks before I did and she never really felt restriction and after a couple months was able to eat normal amounts of food, and was having periods of binge eating because she could.

I'm sorry to hear about all this. Hoping the best for you and that they take your situation seriously.

Gastric Sleeve Member csanders62's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/26/2017
    Surgeon
    DR DONALD SCHWAB
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Sounds like me! What did she do?

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Amanda
    Surgery date
    10/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Eagan
    Last Activity
    11-27-2020 12:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 178 Times in 142 Posts

She hasn't done anything yet - she usually just tries to restrict her intake by measuring everything. She went to the surgeon's office and asked about it but their only explanation was that everyone is different. Could be she ate too much early on and stretched it out? I don't even know if that's possible.

I'd say just keep on questioning until you get an answer.

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandyjdc View Post
    She hasn't done anything yet - she usually just tries to restrict her intake by measuring everything. She went to the surgeon's office and asked about it but their only explanation was that everyone is different. Could be she ate too much early on and stretched it out? I don't even know if that's possible.

I'd say just keep on questioning until you get an answer.
    Gawd it just sounds like a dodgy job doesn't it? I mean, there is no way it couldn't work if done properly right? I know people can eat around their sleeve later but if they never felt restriction then I reckon it wasn't done properly in the first place. This is so sad for people and I don't think they should be fobbed off!
    :-(

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Well it seems like if a car repair comes with a warranty, so should a life changing surgery.
    I can understand why you are frustrated. Here is a link to the American Society for Metabolic Surgery https://asmbs.org/

It may have an answer/solution/suggestion.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Are you eating dense protein, like chicken? If you eat a whole chicken breast you don't feel full? That would be odd.

Are you following all the rules? Eating how we should be eating with protein first, then veggies, then carbs if room? Not drinking before or after eating? Not grazing, especially on junk food? Taking your vitamins? Exercising?

If you are honestly doing everything right, please insist your surgeon does something to help. Best of luck to you.

PS: I am now at the point where I can eat a lot, so much more than the first year, however I am still following the rules of the sleeve and have maintained for almost 4 years.

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Can you answer Christies question?
    What does a typical day of eating looks like?
    Just a daily menu of what you normally eat?
    Maybe we can shed some light on it.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

Gastric Sleeve Member csanders62's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/26/2017
    Surgeon
    DR DONALD SCHWAB
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs and either 2 pieces bacon or turkey bacon. Sometimes i do yoplait light when i am in a hurry or a premier protein bar.
    Lunch: lean cuisine meal (which does not fill me up so i end up eating cheese or almonds) If a choose to eat a sandwich or wrap I use low carb wraps or whole grain bread. I am able to eat an entire sandwich which i could never do with the band. I do not eat this often but sometimes i am in a situation that forces me to do so. I use turkey or chicken breast for my sandwich light mayo and a touch of mustard. Other times it is baked or broiled chicken or pork chops. I can eat an entire chicken breast, green beans (over a cup) and occasionally a small amount of starch like a small sweet potato. This does not fill me up. So i end up rooting around for a protein snack to fill me up later (almonds, turkey jerky etc)
    Dinner: pretty much same as lunch
    I drink tons of water all day and have started adding flavor packets to change up.
    I have tried cooking things like cabbage casserole which is just ground beef or turkey, cabbage onions and tomatoes. I make egg roll in a bowl. I freeze in individual containers so i have a go to. I can eat about 3 cups and then i am full. I eat slowly and do not drink. On occasion i do make bad choices but don’t we all. For the most part this is what i typically eat. I am basically eating the same stuff as when i had the band...only a lot more.

Gastric Sleeve Member Aussie Girl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/22/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    08-09-2018 03:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 110 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 73 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 87 Times

Ask your surgeon what size Bougie they used and how they stapled/stitched you up. I am an x-bander and mine used a size 38 which he said was appropriate for folks who have had bands and double stitched the upper part of the stomach where the band was. I have excellent restriction.

Here's some old info on size: https://www.wlshelp.com/news/sleeve-...s-size-matter/

'Generally, the smaller the bougie, the smaller the new stomach size, but the same size bougie does not always create the same size stomach. The finished sleeve size is determined by how close the stapler gets to the guide and whether the surgeon oversews the staple line and if so, by how much'

Sounds like the stent might be the issue...? Good luck

Highest Weight 128 kg
    Lap Band SW 121 kg
    Sleeve consult 126 kg
    Sleeve SW 118 kg

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by csanders62 View Post
    Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs and either 2 pieces bacon or turkey bacon. Sometimes i do yoplait light when i am in a hurry or a premier protein bar.
    Lunch: lean cuisine meal (which does not fill me up so i end up eating cheese or almonds) If a choose to eat a sandwich or wrap I use low carb wraps or whole grain bread. I am able to eat an entire sandwich which i could never do with the band. I do not eat this often but sometimes i am in a situation that forces me to do so. I use turkey or chicken breast for my sandwich light mayo and a touch of mustard. Other times it is baked or broiled chicken or pork chops. I can eat an entire chicken breast, green beans (over a cup) and occasionally a small amount of starch like a small sweet potato. This does not fill me up. So i end up rooting around for a protein snack to fill me up later (almonds, turkey jerky etc)
    Dinner: pretty much same as lunch
    I drink tons of water all day and have started adding flavor packets to change up.
    I have tried cooking things like cabbage casserole which is just ground beef or turkey, cabbage onions and tomatoes. I make egg roll in a bowl. I freeze in individual containers so i have a go to. I can eat about 3 cups and then i am full. I eat slowly and do not drink. On occasion i do make bad choices but don’t we all. For the most part this is what i typically eat. I am basically eating the same stuff as when i had the band...only a lot more.
    I hope your surgeon can help. I'm almost 5 years out and there is no way I would eat that much. Mom and I just split a chicken dish from Bonefish Grill last night and I could tell I ate too much by eating half; it was chicken, broccoli and some yummy cheesy potatoes. Sounds like they did something wrong, hope you get some help.

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

I agree with sreabear.
    I am not as far out as you guys, but I know, that I am close to my maximum food intake.
    There is no way I could stomach all that.
    This is definetely not what you wanted for you second wls.
    I hope you get the help you derserve!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

That is a lot. I am farther out than you and yesterday I bought a grilled chicken sandwich from a food truck. It was on a bun about 3 inches by 3 inches (bakery style not hamburger style). It had lettuce and tomatoes on it. It took me 3 separated sittings to eat it and I did not even consume all the bread. I also had some cucumber salad on the side with it. But it literally took me all day to eat it. The thick chicken breast is what filled me up. Sounds like maybe they did something wrong. I would insist with your surgeon. And there is no way I could eat 3 cups of food. Not even with slider foods. So sorry to hear this. Also, if your surgeon refuses to do anything I would definitely write a bad review of his practice.