Dr. Motamarry
    Last Activity
    10-17-2019 08:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times
    Was Thanked 126 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 735 Times
    Blog Entries

Angry At this point I am seriously wondering

Honestly, I am starting to wonder if I am even supposed to have this surgery. This all started last September. Multiple mis-steps in the bariatric services office led me to not be able to get my surgery with blue cross blue shield before the end of the year. I had to start over because my employer changed to only united healthcare. Then I found out in January that instead of 3 months of classes, I needed 6, so I had to take classes for January, February and March to meet that requirement. I was TOLD by my Patient ADVOCATE on 3/20/18 that I had been submitted to insurance the week prior. Well that is news to my insurance company who I just got off of the phone with. They said they have not received anything from anybody at all regarding any type of pre-authorization. I want to ask for another advocate, maybe one who actually does her job, but I don't want this one to torpedo my attempts to get through this process.

I have not been on this site much at all because I am so frustrated.

I know, I should be lucky that I don't have more health problems, that I have insurance, yep, uh huh I know but right now I am just highly pissed off. If I hadn't just bought a condo and had more money still in my savings, I swear I would just go to Mexico and be done with it. This is beyond ridiculous.

My advice to anybody starting this journey, DO NOT believe or expect that anyone along the way will take care of paperwork or authorization. Check for yourself and do your own calling, even if it is to check up on what someone else is supposed to have done. It will save you months of waiting and frustration.

I am a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist but I have never practiced in the areas of bariatrics or weight loss. I am happy to offer ideas or tips, but please follow your own Nutritionist's advice - she is the expert in the area.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

Default Re: At this point I am seriously wondering

Oh GRRRRR. I am so sorry. As you know, I had multiple problems as well with my surgeon's office not submitting things in time, properly, at all. It was such a challenge to call (for the 4th time!) and try to sound nice. But I didn't have any alternative since there was only one person who did it. It sounds like you are doing the right thing in making sure your insurance company is actually receiving what they need. I actually went in one day early and sat down with the admin person and said as nicely as possible, "I know you are handling lots of people but this is so important to me that I want to know what I can do to submit things myself, etc." Of course she said I couldn't do anything since insurance needs info directly from the Dr.'s office, but maybe I got thru to her since she seemed a bit more on top of things after that.

I am so sorry and I understand your frustration. BTW, my insurance was cancelled as of Jan 1 and I am now on a terrible plan with no bariatric coverage so if I had not been the squeaky wheel, I might have missed the window for surgery. I'm glad I persisted. Hang in there!

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member simplyseahorse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Motamarry
    Last Activity
    10-17-2019 08:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times
    Was Thanked 126 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 735 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks Dale - I know, things could be worse, but I was supposed to already be 3 months out by now! There are 3 bariatric programs in Jacksonville where I live, and I am seriously considering just starting over with another one. I really like my surgeon though. If and when I finally get this thing done, I am going to write letters and complain about this so called advocate and how she either needs another job, or they need another job title because she does not advocate at all. Best I can tell, she is useless. At least to me she has been. I guess the people that have the surgery with that group do it all themselves. I just wish I had known that 7 months ago. I have put off calling because I KNEW it would piss me off to the point of not being able to concentrate if nothing had been done, and now, here I am fuming! Anyway, I know you get it!!!

I am a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist but I have never practiced in the areas of bariatrics or weight loss. I am happy to offer ideas or tips, but please follow your own Nutritionist's advice - she is the expert in the area.

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh darts, that is so bloody frustrating, I can understand why you are upset gahhhhh! I hope it gets sorted soon, maybe a visit to the advocate and do what Dale did. I don't know if they expect you to feel so grateful that you won't speak up. Speak up I say. Get in the faces in the nicest possible way, And keep coming here!!! Do!!! You will get there xx

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Last Activity
    08-21-2022 11:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 265 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 209 Times

simplyseahorse, sorry you're having issues with the person that is supposed to be helping you. Perhaps try calling and explain you don't fully understand the process and would like to document the steps she's taking and what you're supposed to do on your end. Ask how long it usually takes for insurance to reply and if you need to call the insurance company how do you reference back to what she submitted. She needs to be held accountable and if you can get a set of steps, perhaps she'll understand you are trying to stay on top of things. I'm praying for things to work out stress free for you.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ewing
    Last Activity
    10-10-2018 06:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 78 Times
    Was Thanked 194 Times in 158 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 259 Times

You need ti speak with your doc and let him know you are thinking of changing due to his staff. Call ...call ..stop in to stay on top of things. You have to be a PITA to get people to do what needs to be done.

Hope things work out soon!

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I know that is totally frustrating. I had a small mistake done in the beginning by my advocate as well. That was the point where I wrote down all the requirements and stayed on top of them. I also had to prod them along the way. And they STILL made a mistake and had to resubmit my paperwork. Thankfully it finally got approved. It took me 7 months. It was definitely a battle. I will keep my fingers crossed that you get your approval.