Surgeon
    Dwayne Smith
    Last Activity
    10-26-2018 09:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 58 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Struggling.... sleeved November 2012

Had my sleeve November 2011. My mother died 6 month later. She was the primary care giver for my grandmother who had Parkinson’s disease. She lived with my father but I did her cleaning, pills and her bath/showers. About a year and a half into it I got custody of my 4 year old niece. My grand mother just pasted Away in September. I was at my biggest at 300, got down to 248 and had the gastric sleeve, the lowest weight I was is 165. With all that I had going on I am back up to 220. I want to cry! I tried working out for several months in 2016, and ended up with severe back pain. MRI shows L5/S1 paracentral disc protrusion and L5/S1 right foraminal stenosis with mild compression of the infrapedicular segment of the right root L5. Haven’t been able to work out and have had 7 epidurals, and readily frequency ablation. That helped for a little while and I did kick boxing for about a month in 2018 (loved it)! But the pain is back with vengeance.
    Not sure what to do now, and hoping that I can get a revision.

Has anyone had a revision? Did insurance approve it?

Amanda

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Struggling.... sleeved November 2012

Back problems are so the pits when it stops you doing what you would like to do. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I had a back injury just once in my life and gawd it was awful for a good 18 months, we take so much for granted I think. Sounds like you have had a lot of things going on in your life. Dealing with grief is a process that can knock us for six. You sound like an angel and it sounds like you have done a lot of looking after other people in your life. Maybe now it is time for you. Have you thought about talking to a therapist about your aims and goals and life. you might be doing that already but if not I know so many people have really benefitted from doing that. Weight and eating is so complex. Wishing you lots of luck and I hope you can find some answers about revision :-)

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I answered your previous post as well but also the best thing to do is to contact your insurance directly to find out what your policy covers.

Name
    Stacy Devenney
    Surgery date
    04/27/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tuggle
    Last Activity
    09-04-2020 02:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 97 Times
    Was Thanked 147 Times in 104 Posts

Are you sure you need a revision? Have you tried going back to the basics of what you did right after your surgery? Over the past 6 months, my weight was going up and down and I finally decided to tighten up my diet and get back to what I know I should be eating. For the month of April, I've been eating per Whole30 and my cravings for the crap I was eating are gone and I've already lost the weight I needed to and am at a new low weight. It's great if your insurance approves you and that helps you, but then what? What will happen when the next stress hits? Definitely counseling may need to be considered too. Good luck to you.

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Amy
    Surgery date
    05/30/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. John Oldham
    Last Activity
    07-18-2018 02:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Have you seen a physical therapist? Dr. Vuong has a great video on YouTube with a PT or personal trainer, I can't recall, who talks about how morbidly obese people learn to accommodate their size by adapting to incorrect ways of moving. He says that we should literally learn the right ways to walk again. It might be worth a look. Also, you could try something lower key, like yoga or Tai Chi. They aren't going to result in a lot of weight loss, but they might result in a lot more mobility. Also maybe swimming/water aerobics?

I would definitely see a PT though, if you haven't already.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

My doctor says your stomach won't change. I agree with a previous poster, go back to how you learned to eat years ago when you were sleeved, and you will lose again. You know it all - protein first, then veggies, then good carbs if room. Don't drink with meals. Don't graze or eat junk. Take your vitamins. Hunt for some sort of exercise you are able to do. Maybe something water related? Our gym has many water classes. We also have classes like "Sit and be Fit."

Sorry about all the issues with your life, you have certainly been dealt a difficult hand. But maybe it's time to put yourself first. It's your choice! I don't see how a revision would change anything if you aren't putting in the effort to change your eating lifestyle. (Sorry to be so blunt, but the sleeve is only a tool. A really great tool, but you still need to do your part).

I was sleeved almost 5 years ago, and my new way of eating has become such a habit I don't even think about it. Now it's just how I eat and has become really easy. I am also active. (Except when I broke my neck!!)

Good luck!