05/30/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. John Oldham
    Last Activity
    07-18-2018 02:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Good Self-Study on Emotional Eating?

Hey all - just wondered if anyone could recommend a good book or workbook or self-study, or even podcast, on emotional eating. I'm listening to the Brain Over Binge podcast, and really loving it, though I don't think I binge eat in the strictest sense of the phrase. It's a lot about how to use mindfulness and awareness to conquer bad eating habits.

I've also read Women Food and God by Geneen Roth, and listened to some podcasts and YouTube vids featuring Isabelle Foxen Duke.

Unfortunately, there aren't any therapists that I can get to during office hours who take insurance and specialize in this, and I know it's something I need to come to terms with if I'm going to be successful post-op.

Anyone know of any good resources?

TIA!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

Default Re: Good Self-Study on Emotional Eating?

I was part of a great Overeaters Anonymous group pre-sleeve but I haven't gone back since surgery partially because I am dealing with such a different reality than I did pre-op. Pre-op I would say I was a food addict. Emotional eater. Boredom eater. Sugar addict... At nearly 5 months post op I am no longer any of those things because my stomach doesn't allow me to be. Most days I am working hard to get in enough calories and meet my protein goals. I don't sneak candy or sweets because my stomach really doesn't like them anymore.

While I think it is smart to try and anticipate your post-op issues, you should also give yourself some room to experience this new reality and see what life is like on the other side of surgery. The true miracle to me is that willpower is no longer part of the equation. While I can enjoy food, I don't need it or even want it like I used to. I'm still getting used to this but honestly, it's not what I imagined I'd ever feel.

I would also say that having lost just a portion of my weight, I am now able to exercise more which also relieves stress and helps me make better choices in all parts of life.

I think you will be amazed what life is like with this amazing tool.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

5. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Amy
    Surgery date
    05/30/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. John Oldham
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times

Thanks for that! You are right, I do tend to over-prepare for the future, and the reminder to take the time to smell the roses, so to speak, is very valid. I am definitely in research and preparation mode right now.

That said, I do want to start working on this now, just because everyone says the boost the sleeve gives you doesn't last forever, hence the very common problem of regain. I want to start now, and immediately post-op, to build the good habits that will carry me through when the more profound effects of the sleeve no longer apply. And I know, if I don't address the reasons why I eat poorly, I will end up right back where I started, even with the sleeve. Or at least, very far from where I want to be after having a major surgical procedure to help with the issue.

Gastric Sleeve Member simplyseahorse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Motamarry
    Last Activity
    10-17-2019 08:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times
    Was Thanked 126 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 735 Times
    Blog Entries

I just did a self-study course for credit as an RD and also to help me prepare for surgery - it was called Intuitive Eating, but I can't remember the author. I will look for it. You can probably find it on Amazon. There are also tons of you tube videos with presentations, and those are free

I am a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist but I have never practiced in the areas of bariatrics or weight loss. I am happy to offer ideas or tips, but please follow your own Nutritionist's advice - she is the expert in the area.

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Amy
    Surgery date
    05/30/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. John Oldham
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times

Thanks! I will look for it, but if you think of it, please do let me know... there's a lot out there so personal recommendations are great!

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

Quote Originally Posted by AmyBee View Post
    Thanks for that! You are right, I do tend to over-prepare for the future, and the reminder to take the time to smell the roses, so to speak, is very valid. I am definitely in research and preparation mode right now.

That said, I do want to start working on this now, just because everyone says the boost the sleeve gives you doesn't last forever, hence the very common problem of regain. I want to start now, and immediately post-op, to build the good habits that will carry me through when the more profound effects of the sleeve no longer apply. And I know, if I don't address the reasons why I eat poorly, I will end up right back where I started, even with the sleeve. Or at least, very far from where I want to be after having a major surgical procedure to help with the issue.
    I completely understand. I'm the same way. Just cleaned out my pantry of all the food I thought I'd need post-op and never used. I would say the thing you may need help with is getting your head in sync with your new stomach. I still see chocolate and my brain lights up and I start moving toward it like a moth to a flame. But then there's that moment when I remember how it feels to put sweets into my new little tummy and I step back. I never lost my hunger feelings although some people do. Mine are just less acute and when I eat a few bites I am really full. And when you are concentrating on eating enough protein every day there's hardly room for much else.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    05-16-2019 05:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'd actually like to learn more about this too. For me, stress totally changes my relationship with food. Suddenly, I'll be grabbing a bag of chips like it's a life boat. The best way I've dealt with this personally is to monitor what emotions are triggering the eating. Is it overwhelm? Fear? Worthlessness? Hopelessness? Anger? Then I'll journal about it and drink a lemon water. Obviously, this doesn't always work, but bringing in a bit more awareness can help stop the impulsive behavior until the emotions are dealt with properly.

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-22-2019 04:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Hi y’all, maybe I can share some tips here. I’m really excited about one book in particular, which is Brain over Binge from Kathryn Hansen. To me, that is the most valuable book there is. I also listen to her Podcasts, Brain over Binge.Next to that, some valuable podcast series are: Weight Loss Surgery Podcast by Reeger Cortell. And: Food Freedom Habit Podcast by Lydia the Lifestyle Coach. She’s also inspired by Kathryn Hansen.

Eating Less, Say Goodbye to overeating by Gillian Riley is one I can recommend as well. Then there is Eat Q by Susan Albers. French Toast for Breakfast by Mary Anne *****, she also wrote lasagna for lunch, also really good. Ok, what else... Fat is a Family affair, Shades of Hope (liked that one, too!), Bright Line Eating.... I would say, read, listen, watch... and choose which one is for you. As said, for me the penny dropped with the Brain over Binge book. I like this thread, hope someone els will chime in with some great finds so I can expand my Kindle library.

Short introduction of myself: female, 48, struggle with food and weight since early teens, sleeved mid 2016, re sleeved March 2019, at goal now but up for the biggest challenge.. keeping it off. Hence my strong interest in this topic!

(Please don’t mind my mistakes in English, as my username reveals, I’m Dutch ;-))

14. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    08-17-2021 03:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

emotional eating is the worst, i am here to understand more about, its my worst habit