Surgery date
    03/27/2018
    Last Activity
    08-27-2018 04:08 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times

Default A few tips after my hospital stay

I was sleeved March 27th and while in the hospital I tried to take a few notes that I though may be helpful to others. I'm sure you all have plenty to add to the list I just thought these items may be helpful.

1. Before going to the hospital I made sure the house was thoroughly cleaned, all of the laundry was done, and there was food for my hubby to eat while I was recovering and the dog had a good bath.

2. The night before I packed my bag and washed with a special soap and sponges the hospital provided for me to wash the night before and the morning of surgery. All of the over the counter stuff the physicians office said to have on hand was on the bathroom counter in one area so that I would not have to search anything out.

3. The morning of I just washed with the special soap, dressed in loose fitting clothing grabbed my bag and we were off to the hospital.

4. While getting prepped for surgery I had a chance to talk with the CRNA & anesthesiologist and express that I did not want to be nauseous after the procedure. I just couldn't imagine having to throw up with sutures in my belly. They understood and adjusted the meds they were going to use. Which worked I was not nauseous once.

I also had a conversation with the doc and asked for pictures of my stomach and liver and he was more than happy to take them for me. This way my I will always have a copy of what was done and I can provide a copy to my PCP. I asked what was being sent to pathology and what the pathologist would look for and he said just the basics unless I wanted additional testing done at my expense. So I went with the basics.

5. The procedure went well and before you knew it I was in my hospital room. The doc came and met with my husband and I. You should take a notebook and a few pens with you to take notes. Being on the pain meds you can forget what was said.

6. I began walking immediately and walked several times a day. I also asked the RN to show me how to unhook all of the equipment I was attached to so I did not have to wait on them to go to the bathroom or take my walks when I wanted to. This worked out well.

7. I did not use the robe or slippers I brought with me the gown was all I needed with the no slip socks.

8. Biotene is a must an really helps with dry mouth after the surgery.

9. A hand mirror would have been nice to better see my sutures with.

10. I asked my husband to take pictures of my sutures each day so I could see and track how they were healing.

11. I brought a sleeping mask with me that I used all of the time to block out the lights from the machines in the room. Earplugs would have also been helpful for the noisy pressure wraps on my legs but I forgot to bring them.

12. The morning after my surgery my room was constantly visited by hospital personnel. I had the nurse put up a do not disturb sign and to check with the nurse before entering. This worked out great.

13. Bring your phone charger.

14. If you don't already know your blood type you can asked the RN and she will give it to you and then you can add it to you phone so you will always have it.

15. A heating pad is a must and was very helpful. I am still using one at home.

16. Ask to be weighed before you leave the hospital so you can keep track. Somehow I gained 8 lbs while in the hospital 3 days. It was all water weight.

17. Food. Only once did I get to fill out my own food request. I thinking the RN staff filled it out the other times. I was getting things I could not eat due to acid re-flux or did not like. I called down to the cafeteria and told them what I did not want brought up so after that there were no issues. You can only eat a bite or two anyway so I wanted those bites to be something I wanted and could tolerate.

18. The night shift was not the most timely. So I set the alarm on my phone and called them about 10 minutes before my meds were due to keep them on track and this worked out well.

That's all I can think of for now. I hope this list may help a few of you prepare before you procedure. Wishing you all the best!!!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Juanita62's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    Stephen Archer
    Last Activity
    08-31-2020 09:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 156 Times

Default Re: A few tips after my hospital stay

My surgery is next week.....thanks for posting this, I'll be using it

Name
    Mike
    Surgery date
    03/20/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Heath Smith
    Last Activity
    09-10-2018 08:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Excellent advice, Marsh17! You did a great job hitting the high points. Thanks for posting!

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Wow!! They let you have real food while you were in the hospital? I was on full liquids for 2 weeks post op. Glad to hear it all went so well. Congrats on your surgery!

Surgery date
    04/09/2018
    Surgeon
    Roy Cobean MD
    Last Activity
    02-16-2021 08:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for this update, I am up to bat on Monday and this is very helpful!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Cindy
    Surgery date
    04/26/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Steven Udelhofen
    Last Activity
    09-06-2018 07:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 81 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh17 View Post
    I was sleeved March 27th and while in the hospital I tried to take a few notes that I though may be helpful to others. I'm sure you all have plenty to add to the list I just thought these items may be helpful.

8. Biotene is a must an really helps with dry mouth after the surgery.

which type of Biotene did you use.....spray, mouth wash ???

HW: 379 - at consultation 11/30/17
    SW: 325 - surgery date 04/26/18 (54)
    1 month: - 314 (11) - (65 total)
    2 months: - 305 (9) - (74 total)
    3 months: - 297 (8) -. (82 total)
    4 months:
    5 months:
    6 months:
    7 months:
    8 months:
    9 months:
    10 months:
    11 months:
    12 months: 1st goal - 204 lbs - (-175.00)
    18 months: 2nd goal - 179 lbs - (-200.00)

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/27/2018
    Last Activity
    08-27-2018 04:08 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times

I used the spray Biotene. I thought it would be easier when laying in bed after the surgery.

11. Said thanks: