Surgeon
    Dr. Hamilton
    Last Activity
    03-17-2019 10:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default The sleeve

My tummy feels swollen does anybody know when it will go down?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: The sleeve

You're only 5 days out of surgery, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

You have been poked about a bit, it will take a bit of time. How are you going with everything else?

Name
    Mike
    Surgery date
    03/20/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Heath Smith
    Last Activity
    09-10-2018 08:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

For the first seven to eight days, I felt like the Goodyear blimp. Gas, swelling, farting, burping, I was a real catch! But around the beginning of my second week things normalized and as I'm ending my second week out, there are times I forget that I had anything done, feel perfectly normal. Only issue now is that I'm real sensitive to what I drink, temperature, and how fast, plus if I go over my stomach's capacity, it lets me know (sometimes very unpleasantly!). You're five days out, that is pretty close to closing the hump and getting into the next phase. Hang in there, it does get better!

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/27/2018
    Last Activity
    08-27-2018 04:08 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times

My belly it still swollen as well and I am 5 days out. I have my first post op appointment with the doc tomorrow so I will asked what time frame I should look for the swelling to go down. My guess is it will take 2-3 weeks with all of the work they did. I will post what the doc says after my appointment. I hope you are doing well!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/26/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hamilton
    Last Activity
    03-17-2019 10:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you over eat do you get indigestion?

Name
    Mike
    Surgery date
    03/20/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Heath Smith
    Last Activity
    09-10-2018 08:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Socony, what I've found on overeating depends in part on how much I overeat, and what I overeat...

Overdoing liquids tends to resolve itself with an eruption of burps, as fluids go pretty quickly through the sleeve. Overdoing anything substantial gets varying results. I have figured out that when I get a mild hiccup, that's a signal that there's no vacancy in the stomach for further eating. If I eat a little more, I'll get hit with lots of burping, air in my throat that feels like a high level plug, and that can go on for a hour or more. Not fun, but not the end of the world. More of a subtle hint to do better next time.

However, if I go a few more bites beyond that, the burping can progress into upchucking a quantity of phlegm and/or partially digested recently consumed meal. On a positive side, that event does not result in crippling pain, but it really isn't the happy fun event of the day. I've only had this happen to me twice, and it's a "powerful life lesson" to heed the little signals.

As for indigestion, the gas probably counts for indigestion, but it really isn't acidic or reflux, like you might have had pre operation. I'm on a acid pump inhibitor medication since the operation which has left me with less heartburn than I had before the operation. So count that as a victory.

Probably the biggest learning here is to recalibrate myself that 8/10 of one scrambled egg for instance, is a complete meal. It will take a while to reconfigure my mind around the revised portions, but that's less a bug than a feature of the operation. Definitely manageable, just have to keep this in mind, be easy on yourself, and not get overly depressed by reduced portions and meal options.

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    08/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Holder-Haynes
    Last Activity
    01-06-2019 10:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times
    Was Thanked 134 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMo View Post
    Socony, what I've found on overeating depends in part on how much I overeat, and what I overeat...

Overdoing liquids tends to resolve itself with an eruption of burps, as fluids go pretty quickly through the sleeve. Overdoing anything substantial gets varying results. I have figured out that when I get a mild hiccup, that's a signal that there's no vacancy in the stomach for further eating. If I eat a little more, I'll get hit with lots of burping, air in my throat that feels like a high level plug, and that can go on for a hour or more. Not fun, but not the end of the world. More of a subtle hint to do better next time.

However, if I go a few more bites beyond that, the burping can progress into upchucking a quantity of phlegm and/or partially digested recently consumed meal. On a positive side, that event does not result in crippling pain, but it really isn't the happy fun event of the day. I've only had this happen to me twice, and it's a "powerful life lesson" to heed the little signals.

As for indigestion, the gas probably counts for indigestion, but it really isn't acidic or reflux, like you might have had pre operation. I'm on a acid pump inhibitor medication since the operation which has left me with less heartburn than I had before the operation. So count that as a victory.

Probably the biggest learning here is to recalibrate myself that 8/10 of one scrambled egg for instance, is a complete meal. It will take a while to reconfigure my mind around the revised portions, but that's less a bug than a feature of the operation. Definitely manageable, just have to keep this in mind, be easy on yourself, and not get overly depressed by reduced portions and meal options.

Forgive my ignorance as I haven't had surgery yet, but you're only 14 days out. Isn't the diet two weeks clear liquid followed by 2 weeks pureed foods. Are you moving to solids too quickly?

* High Weight = 339 * * * Surgery Weight = 276 *

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

It will get a bit better each day. Swelling is to be expected. Hang in there.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GlennA18 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance as I haven't had surgery yet, but you're only 14 days out. Isn't the diet two weeks clear liquid followed by 2 weeks pureed foods. Are you moving to solids too quickly?
    Unfortunately there is no tried and true post op diet. It varies from surgeon to surgeon, as does the pre op. I had 2 weeks of full liquids (not clear), 2 weeks of soft foods, and then on to regular foods. I have seen some people with no pre op whatsoever. I have also seen some with very long pre ops. Mine was only 9 days. I have seen some people with no post op eating instructions at all. The process varies greatly.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    dBrusky
    Surgery date
    03/15/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-11-2019 10:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

I had my surgery the 15th of March. For me it took 2 weeks. The more Gaviscon I took for gas, the more it went down.

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    08/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Holder-Haynes
    Last Activity
    01-06-2019 10:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times
    Was Thanked 134 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

I had no idea there were different post op diets. I thought all were 2 weeks clear, then 2 weeks pureed. That's why I love this forum. I'm already learning a lot.

I'm seeing a nutritionist next week. I hope to learn more about how my surgeon's practice handles this soon.

thanks!

* High Weight = 339 * * * Surgery Weight = 276 *

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    05/07/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Troy Houseworth
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 03:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 158 Times
    Was Thanked 128 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Quote Originally Posted by GlennA18 View Post
    I had no idea there were different post op diets. I thought all were 2 weeks clear, then 2 weeks pureed. That's why I love this forum. I'm already learning a lot.

I'm seeing a nutritionist next week. I hope to learn more about how my surgeon's practice handles this soon.

thanks!
    I'm preop as well, but my surgeon's plan is: Postop wk 1 = clear liquids, wk 2 = clear liquids + protein shakes + chewable vitamins, wk 3 = puree foods + protein shakes (keep up w/vitamins), wk 4 = soft foods + protein shakes (keep up w/vitamins), wk 5 onward = regular textured foods. They also are not hard/fast about progressing to the next stage if you are not tolerating it well.
    According to their nutritionist, no liquid preop diet. They recommend protein shakes, salads, fruit/veg, soups and lots of fluids for 3-days preop. No meat/steak, pasta or fast foods.

I like my surgeon's program - a full binder of education and suggestions for foods, supplements, etc. Plus through the course of my visits we have touched on all of it and I've had ample time to ask questions and get clarification. I feel like they have done a great job of setting me up for success. I'm ready to do my part!

HW 2016=310
    SW 5/7/18= 274

4 weeks=241.6
    8 weeks=225.0
    12 weeks=214.8
    16 weeks=205.6
    20 weeks=198.6
    24 weeks=193.2

6 Mos check-up w/Surgeon: 11/13/2018=189
    28 weeks=187
    32 weeks=181.2
    36 weeks=174
    39 weeks + 2 days=169.8 = GOAL!

40 weeks=168
    44 weeks=163
    48 weeks=160.4
    51 weeks; day of 1-yr appt w/surgeon=159.4
    54 weeks=154

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    05/07/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Troy Houseworth
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 03:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 158 Times
    Was Thanked 128 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMo View Post

Thank you for your very real description! This is the most relatable thing I have read about what to expect postop. I'm saving this so I can refer back to it once I have my surgery.

HW 2016=310
    SW 5/7/18= 274

4 weeks=241.6
    8 weeks=225.0
    12 weeks=214.8
    16 weeks=205.6
    20 weeks=198.6
    24 weeks=193.2

6 Mos check-up w/Surgeon: 11/13/2018=189
    28 weeks=187
    32 weeks=181.2
    36 weeks=174