Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    04-01-2018 09:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default New here, looking for runners....

Hi there! I’m new here and in the contemplation phase. I also can contemplated years ago but was able to change
    My diet and lifestyle. I’m back full circle again. I’m an emotional eater. I love to cook and bake. I simply love to eat.

Here is one of my top priorities aside from changing my way of eating. I’m a distance runner. It’s who I am. I run half and full marathons (13.1 and 26.2 miles).I’ve always been chubby..my entire life. I still run and work out regularly for the past 8 years. One would think that as much as I run that I would be trim but I’m not. I’m a solid 215 lbs. I’ve gained 30 recently and just cannot get it to move.

Some of my biggest questions are related to running. I’m a nurse practitioner , so I have a solid understanding of the post op diet, the rationale for healing, etc. When can I run? How much, how far? How long do I have to be off work. My job is super easy physically. I sit a large part of the day. I can also do part of my work from home so I only need to be outside of home for about 4-5 hours 2 days a week. My other day is a little longer and involves more walking.

I look forward to your feedback and getting to “know” many of you!
    Thank you!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New here, looking for runners....

I was always an active fat girl, too. I run. I am back to running. I did a half marathon in December. I also strength train. I started working out again around a month post op. Running about 2 months post op. Surgery is the best thing I ever did. As for work, I only took a week off but some people take off longer. I sit a lot at work, too. I had no issues going back to work. I would be tired at night but nothing unbearable.

Gastric Sleeve Member Melissa888's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Mark Antonetti
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 52 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 61 Times

Runner here as well. No problem with running post op. Basically waited 3-4 months after surgery to start it up again, my choice. Now run five days a week, six plus miles. Not a tremendous amount of mileage, but, hey, I’m 57! LOL! Listen to your body, it will guide you in your training.

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

My surgeon cleared me for all activities 3 weeks post op. Was walking around 5 miles at that point and because of knee issues am still doing more walking than running but as the weight comes off I have less problem with my knee and am looking forward to running again soon.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I was cleared for all exercise at 2 weeks. I was a big walker/hiker before surgery, so just kept it up after. By being a runner (in my non-medical opinion) you will experience an easier recovery and be out hitting the pavement in no time. You'll just have to listen to your body and not do too much too soon. The running will help with the weight loss too!

I took 2 weeks off teaching and it was perfect for me. (And I didn't have to go on disability). The first week I mainly slept, sipped and walked. Week two I relaxed and got more walking in.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Another runner here... same story, running marathons and should have been trim but nahhhhhh!!!! I got back to running at 8 weeks and just dropped my milage down from what I had been doing, I was back up to my standard milage in 2 weeks. I also crossfit 4 or 5 times a week. You will be shitted with not running for the first few weeks, I could have started at 6 weeks but I was soooo tired for 6 weeks after the sleeve I just couldn't. That resolved after 6 weeks. sleeve was the best thing ever and Ive lost that extra weight in no time. I totally understand the feelings of frustration when you are a really fit active person and your body just won't work with you on that weight loss.
    Just sit with that frustrating post op period and think of it as getting your legs fresh again!!! Great decision to have the sleeve and the very best of luck to you :-)