Surgeon
    Dr. Jay Suggs
    Last Activity
    09-17-2018 08:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 100 Times
    Was Thanked 90 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 243 Times

Default Husband has regrets :(

Hey everyone. For those of you who have been following me you know that my husband was sleeved a little over a month ago and he battled with a life threatening blood clot afterwards. Just as I thought he was getting over it he starts having more food adversions and neausea issues. He’s still in pain from everything and it’s been over a month. To say he’s ill tempered is an understatement. I understand he doesn’t feel good but is there anything I can do to help him feel a little better? Any neausea suggestions or maybe food suggestions? It seems the only thing he’s able to keep down is shrimp (yes! Shrimp!) and imitation crab. Today he got so sick again he said he wished he would’ve died because of how bad he feels. He said this many times before but tonight it’s worse than usual. I’m getting concerned about his mental and emotional well being at this point. I’m also starting to regret him having this because it’s sank him down in a deep depression. I know the regret stage is part of it but not to the point he’s at. Help. Please.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/05/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Ken Wong
    Last Activity
    06-16-2018 05:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Husband has regrets :(

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBrit View Post
    Hey everyone. For those of you who have been following me you know that my husband was sleeved a little over a month ago and he battled with a life threatening blood clot afterwards. Just as I thought he was getting over it he starts having more food adversions and neausea issues. He’s still in pain from everything and it’s been over a month. To say he’s ill tempered is an understatement. I understand he doesn’t feel good but is there anything I can do to help him feel a little better? Any neausea suggestions or maybe food suggestions? It seems the only thing he’s able to keep down is shrimp (yes! Shrimp!) and imitation crab. Today he got so sick again he said he wished he would’ve died because of how bad he feels. He said this many times before but tonight it’s worse than usual. I’m getting concerned about his mental and emotional well being at this point. I’m also starting to regret him having this because it’s sank him down in a deep depression. I know the regret stage is part of it but not to the point he’s at. Help. Please.
    Awww, that so sad to hear. I am still on pre-op but just wanted to send some well wishes and prayers for him. May God strengthen you both.

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

So sorry to hear that...
    He is still in pain and miserable?
    I think someone already mentioned the ginger tea?

But to be honest (as I always am) I think this should be closely monitored by a doctor.
    Does he have any follow up appointments with the hospital any time soon?
    I think he should be given proper anti nausea and pain medication.
    These are not the "normal" post op pains and nausea.
    Just my two cents.

Continued prayers!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've got to agree with Dutchie and say I think he needs very close follow up. Even with your GP (PCP) who can prescribe some ondensatron (anti nausea medication) and pain relief of some sort. I am concerned that he is still in so much pain. Has the clot issue resolved? To be in pain and constantly nauseous is enough to mess with anyones mental health. He needs some medication to deal with this and also follow up as this just STILL doesn't sound right. At all. Much love to you both, what an awful trot you have had.

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Gege
    Surgery date
    11/17/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Peter Rantis
    Last Activity
    04-07-2020 10:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 67 Times
    Was Thanked 93 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Oh my goodness! I'm sorry it"s been such a rough road. I'm only 4 months out but I've done a lot of reading and studying and this sounds abnormal. I hope his doctor is concerned and following closely. I'm hoping each day gets better. Praying for better times.

Gege

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts

I'm sorry you are both going through so much. What does the surgeon say about how he is feeling? Are they giving him meds? Would it help for him to stay on soft foods or even liquids longer?

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-21-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 774 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 169 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,104 Times

I think he needs to go back to the doctor, you need to tell the doctor that something is wrong. You’re not sure what’s wrong but something is and they need to find it. I also had a deep vein thrombosis blood clot and two leaks in my sleeve. Tell him to just hang in there, even after I went through all that it was worth it. Tell him I said I understand, I thought the feeling bad would never be over, but it does end and it will be worth it because he will feel so much better! Hugs

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Last Activity
    08-21-2022 11:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 265 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 209 Times

Sorry your husband is having complications. Sending up prayers for your husband, you, and the doctors that are caring for him.

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Carla
    Surgery date
    01/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jay Suggs
    Last Activity
    09-17-2018 08:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 100 Times
    Was Thanked 90 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 243 Times

Thank you all so much for your support. Y'all have been a pillar of strength for me during all of this. He hasn't tried the ginger tea, and truthfully I had forgotten about it. I've just got back from town and had all intentions of buying some and I of course forgot. He said he's willing to try it. This morning he slept in really late (which is odd for him) and asked for some polish sausage of all things to eat. I went to town and got him some several protein snacks and he ate a small protein plate and its seeming to be agreeing with him. He got super weak while we were at the store and we had to cut it short, which is fine. He went to two drs appointments this week (PCP and surgeon) and they all said that he was doing so well, apart from last night. I too had a blood clot after my surgery and I know how painful and hard it is to get over. I just want to make him feel better. I'm letting him cheat just a little bit on his diet due to him not being able to tolerate anything but imitation crab and shrimp, he can also tolerate pringles. I'm allowing him to eat just a few a day. Please continue to keep him in your prayers. Last night he was so bad I wanted to cry.

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Praying for you both; it sounds difficult to watch someone you love to struggle so much. You are a guiding light for him, so just know that whatever you do, you being there is enough.
    Do watch his mental health; any change to our hormones and our routines wreak havoc with our MH. Be sure his docs are aware as well

They sound like they are being responsive to him; keep on with the protein, and whatever he can eat in way of them. I can do things like sausage, but I pat all the grease off (about 12 paper towels).
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

21. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

, I don't have any suggestions at all. Just feel bad for you both.

Like others, I'd stay very much in touch with your husband's doctors. And I would NOT let your husband decide when it's time for him to see his doctor(s). That probably should be your call, since he's probably not feeling well enough these days to make the best decisions for himself. He also sounds like a stubborn mule -- just like every other man I've ever met.

Sorry to generalize, guys, but you lot really are stubborn.

BTW, this is not hyperbole, but the honest truth: Every man I have ever overheard in an emergency room answer the question, "On a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being the worst, how bad is your pain?" always says -- yup, you know it's coming -- "10!"

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I am so sorry you are both going through this. I would follow up closely with the doctor and also get a recommendation for a therapist. I have no clue what to say or how to help, as I had no complications, but I'm sure a therapist know where to start. (Along with the prayers I am sending your way!)

For most of us it gets easier every day. If that is not happening, he needs to see his doctor again. Poor guy.

I'm hoping that in a month you post that everyone is happy and doing great!

24. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I am so sorry to hear this. He does need to follow up with a psychologist regarding these issues. As for all he's going through, I think it is normal to have the huge amount of regrets that he is having. Hopefully he will start feeling better soon so he can move past regret and enjoy his sleeve. I know there have been others on here with lots of complications who were miserable. Usually once they get past all the complications they are still glad they had the sleeve. I am sorry your hubby is going through this. I am also sorry you are having to deal with this. I know you feel helpless.

26. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Carla... how is your hubby? I keep thinking about it and last night we were lying in bed doing case studies... my partner is a doctor and we often do this thing from the medical association, where you go through a study and answer questions.. its like a bedtime activity!! Anyway one of them last night was about a blood clot in the portal vein which they thrombolysed ( so this is where your husband is at with blood thinners ). The patient represented in emergency 48 hours later with ongoing pain and a bowel necrosis was discovered. They removed a good portion of the dead intestine. Anyway it was such a flashing light to me concerning your husband, so at risk of sounding really annoying I just want to reiterate that you must get him back in if there is ongoing pain. I would have thought the pain would have been resolved now he has been thrombolysed ( blood thinners), so if it hasn't then I am still bloody suspicious and saying necrosis unless proven otherwise!! And that can kill you. Just the heads up Carla to be on that like a rat up a drainpipe with any continuing pain. Also for new readers, don't freak out... this is a super rare complication.

28. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

I have to agree with Edie...
    Please be careful hon...
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

30. Said thanks:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast