Dr Ken Wong
    Last Activity
    06-16-2018 05:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Surviving Pre-op

Hi all,

Whilst this question has been asked over and over again, it seems one only takes notice of the answer when they are asking the questions.

So how did y'all survive pre-op? I have just started and failed miserably!

And please don't give me the that's what got you fat in the first place crap or you must not want it enough or if you cant do pre-op your going to fail after surgery crap, because bottom line is opti taste absolutely vile!!!! Optislim , Optifast i'm literally want to opti out!!! On a serious note, I am suppose to be on a 3 week pre op diet and I think thats part of the problem is that i know i have 3 weeks to get some weight off, but how to get pass the yuckiness of opti is beyond me. I thought quitting the smokes would be hard but it was relatively easy compared to drinking the shakes. Ive had shakes before that i could tolerate but the opti's ain't on the list... any tips to make the taste more palatable?

Cheers

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Surviving Pre-op

Not sure what's available where you are, but I like Premier Protein Shakes - 30 G protein in 11 oz.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Gastric Sleeve Member smarijczyn's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/10/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brian Quebbeman
    Last Activity
    12-28-2018 11:08 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

My pre-op diet consisted of 2 Premier protein shakes, 1.5 ounces of chicken OR jerky, and 6 different vegetables- cucumbers, celery, peppers, lettuce, and 2 more that for some reason, I can't remember.
    Only recently do I have issues with the Premier shakes- but I can still drink the banana and the vanilla ones but they have to be cold.
    The pre-op was tough, especially on weekends. But I had to tell myself that I know I really want this, and it's for a good reason.
    My diet was 2 weeks, not 3. I didn't drink alcohol and I stayed on the diet strictly.
    No, not easy, but necessary to shrink the liver to be able to perform surgery laproscopically

You can do this!!

Name
    Kerry
    Surgery date
    02/26/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr M Castro
    Last Activity
    09-12-2018 03:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 64 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Can you add any flavorings to your shakes? Like flavored extracts or PB2 powder? I also second the Premier shakes. They just came out with a Cookies and Cream flavor that is really good. What about an unflavored protein powder to put in Crystal light or those flavored additives for water that come in a small bottle? Just take it day by day and count down the days. It will be worth it in the end. It's hard but if you can quit smoking, you can do this! Hang in there :-)

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Change to another shake with similar stats? I get you on opti... what I did was mix them up in a vitamix with a shot of coffee and heaps of ice. It was alright. I did try the soups but GAWD there is no way to make them better! this bit is hard though for sure and you do have to look at the bigger picture. Just suck it up and get a heap of ice in your mixer! Or change your shake, they all do a similar thang. Some might be super high in sugar and carbs though so check your labels :-)

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/05/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Ken Wong
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieG View Post
    Not sure what's available where you are, but I like Premier Protein Shakes - 30 G protein in 11 oz.
    Hi Annie,

I'm in Aus and I actually looked these up online. So there about 80 bucks aus for 18 online... Unfortunately money i cant afford.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/05/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Ken Wong
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03 View Post
    Change to another shake with similar stats? I get you on opti... what I did was mix them up in a vitamix with a shot of coffee and heaps of ice. It was alright. I did try the soups but GAWD there is no way to make them better! this bit is hard though for sure and you do have to look at the bigger picture. Just suck it up and get a heap of ice in your mixer! Or change your shake, they all do a similar thang. Some might be super high in sugar and carbs though so check your labels :-)
    hEY sTACEY,

Just venting really. lol... I'm giving it a good crack, but as they say nothing good comes easily or in this case tasty.

Cheers for the tips.

11. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ewing
    Last Activity
    10-10-2018 06:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 78 Times
    Was Thanked 194 Times in 158 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 259 Times

Try Core or Unjury shakes!

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Done33 View Post
    hEY sTACEY,

Just venting really. lol... I'm giving it a good crack, but as they say nothing good comes easily or in this case tasty.

Cheers for the tips.
    Yea I know it's gahhhhhhhh. I got soooo sick of protein shakes in the first stages so I complained a lot LOL!

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Blog Entries

ohhh also forgot to mention, I still have a protein shake for breakfast and I use isowhey dutch chocolate. It's the only one I can tolerate now and isn't bad on the stats. It is totally non sweet but I can't cope with sweet these days. When my friend tried it she said... it just tastes like matter!!!! LOL. But this might be a good Aussie tip for afterwards if you cant stand sweet!
    Also, are you just on shakes or do you get a lean protein and veg meal too? I was just on shakes... boo!
    I wonder if Aldi shakes would be okay on stats as they don't taste bad. Maybe check out some others around as you don't have to stick with the dreaded opti. Mind you, you've probably bought them now right?? Ice, shot of coffee ;-)

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

ohhh also forgot to mention, I still have a protein shake for breakfast and I use isowhey dutch chocolate. It's the only one I can tolerate now and isn't bad on the stats. It is totally non sweet but I can't cope with sweet these days. When my friend tried it she said... it just tastes like matter!!!! LOL. But this might be a good Aussie tip for afterwards if you cant stand sweet!
    Also, are you just on shakes or do you get a lean protein and veg meal too? I was just on shakes... boo!
    I wonder if Aldi shakes would be okay on stats as they don't taste bad. Maybe check out some others around as you don't have to stick with the dreaded opti. Mind you, you've probably bought them now right?? Ice, shot of coffee ;-)
    I'm sitting here reading with my protein shake poured into my morning coffee - my pretend latte, lol.
    But I still have to do it or miss my protein grams.

Yes, I have a bunch of stuff on the floor of the pantry that I could not, literally, "stomach"! But you are doing it, and venting is what we are here to help with!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

I also added some decaf coffee & ice then whipped up the shakes. Sometimes added some sugar free flavoring.

This is the hardest part! Really, I thought the pre-op diet was just awful. My nutritionist told me that the most important thing to remember is not to "cheat" with carbs or anything with sugar. The pre-op diet is meant to shrink your liver. If you are tempted to cheat, eat a small piece of lean chicken. (But not in the last day or two before surgery when you're on liquids only.) I promise, it is so much easier post-op. My biggest challenge now is trying to eat enough most days. Never, ever did I expect to face that issue.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/05/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Ken Wong
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Yeah i actually like the aldi ones ( cheap too) and celebrity slim but apparently no no due to sugar content. But my research has given me some good tips. Such as adding tiny amount of coffee for flavour, or vanilla essence, I'm also probably going to go to woolies and get some sugar free syrup etc. I have no trouble with water intake, its just the shakes!!

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/05/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Ken Wong
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by DHB View Post
    I also added some decaf coffee & ice then whipped up the shakes. Sometimes added some sugar free flavoring.

This is the hardest part! Really, I thought the pre-op diet was just awful. My nutritionist told me that the most important thing to remember is not to "cheat" with carbs or anything with sugar. The pre-op diet is meant to shrink your liver. If you are tempted to cheat, eat a small piece of lean chicken. (But not in the last day or two before surgery when you're on liquids only.) I promise, it is so much easier post-op. My biggest challenge now is trying to eat enough most days. Never, ever did I expect to face that issue.
    Yes. i have to admit, i've done shakes before with a small meal before but they were shakes which we can't have on pre-op and i admit i was a little cocky about doing pre-op but opti has totally kicked my ass. lol.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

What else can you eat for three weeks? I can't be only opti-products, can it? That sounds crazy.

I was lucky and had to do the pre-op diet for 5 days, but I could have shakes, broth, sugar-free popsicles, and I don't remember what else. There was a bunch of stuff on the list. It sucked, but was only 5 days, and totally worth it in the long run to be a regular sized person.

The pre-op is the hardest part. Once it's over, it's easy. (Was for me at least.)