Roy Cobean MD
    Last Activity
    02-16-2021 08:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

Post Items and necessities; preparing for surgery

So I ordered a months worth of liquid Centrum multi vitamins, liquid calcium/Vit.D and adult liquid Tylenol from Walmart online and picked them up today. I've gone to SAMS club and bought a couple different flavors of protein drinks to see which ones I like best. I need to buy a digital scale this weekend for protein weighing. I bought a new blender that purees. What are some other things that people recommend buying and preparing ahead of time? I heard of one woman who made up individual 4oz pureed soups and froze them. I would like to hear from people who prepared and what worked for them. Many thanks!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Items and necessities; preparing for surgery

I did make up individual broth and soups. Bought some protein shake and a vitamix (just because I wanted one). In terms of prep you don't need to do much, you won't be eating much but some soups and broths are a good idea but thats all I reckon. Don't go all out and make a heap of things because you just won't get through them. congrats on your decision for surgery :-)

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I bought vitamins and protein shakes before. That was it. My dr never wanted me to puree foods so that was a non issue plus the whole idea of that grosses me out. I went from liquids, to soft foods, to real foods over the course of 2 months. I also don't think you need a scale at least not for a long time. You're going to eat like 2 bites of chicken and be full. It took me well over 6 months to be able to eat an entire scrambled egg. You can always get a scale later.

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

6. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/27/2018
    Last Activity
    08-27-2018 04:08 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times

Right now I am doing the 2 week liquid diet prior to my surgery at the end of this month. So I have lots of Premier Protein Shakes, Chicken broth, sugar free jello, sugar free Popsicle, Crystal Light Pure and lots of water. In the booklet I received from the physicians office what they recommend I purchase for after the surgery is:
    Extra Strength Tylenol, Gaviscon for gas, Ginger Tea for nausea, Metamucil for constipation, Mederma cream for to reduce scaring. I have purchased a few Kindle books on recipes for puree but I'm not sure how much I will be making them. This is still a portion of the process I don't have a solid plan for other than the store bought stuff. I did see a good tip on the site today for high protein (15g) hot chocolate. So I might get a box of that. I want to be prepared but I also do not want a lot of stuff I will not use.

As for the Vitamins they will probably be a combination of stuff. Right now the physicians office I am with is going with Nascobal B12 nasal spray KIT and in the kit they provide the multi vitamin, calcium, and iron. For D3 I am going to try a liquid. I did buy a "smart scale" which makes it so easy to track your weight the info just goes right to your smart phone. I have realized that each physicians office has their own way of doing things and their own recommendations for what they want their specific patients to do. I hope this information helps. Best of luck to you & congratulations on your surgery date!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Get a heating pad and a body pillow if you don't have them. It will make sleeping more comfortable post op. As for preparing...I can tell you my taste buds changed post op and for a while the things I liked pre op I could not stand post op. To include my protein shake. I was not able to tolerate the taste for about 2 weeks post op. So I would caution against stocking up too much on anything

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Sounds like you have all you need. All I did that first week was sit in my recliner in front of the TV and nap. (It hurt to climb into my high bed.). I had a little table to sip my protein drinks and water. (And a journal to keep track.). It really isn't that complicated. When I wasn't napping or sipping, I walked a little. My advice is to rest and recover that first week.

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I found I loved chicken bone broth, which has pretty good amount of protein. And when it was left after that phase, I add it to other stuff. Didn't like it with the lemon grass, but that's me. I think you sound well prepared. I did get some high quality instant mashed potatoes that I could add plain protein or non fat cheddar to, but again, what you like now and what you like after are not the same.

You sound like you're all ready!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

15. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/09/2018
    Surgeon
    Roy Cobean MD
    Last Activity
    02-16-2021 08:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks all for your suggestions. I started the pre-op diet today, so far so good...two weeks from today!

Gastric Sleeve Member SapphireLevaou's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/24/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-25-2018 09:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh17 View Post
    Right now I am doing the 2 week liquid diet prior to my surgery at the end of this month. So I have lots of Premier Protein Shakes, Chicken broth, sugar free jello, sugar free Popsicle, Crystal Light Pure and lots of water. In the booklet I received from the physicians office what they recommend I purchase for after the surgery is:
    Extra Strength Tylenol, Gaviscon for gas, Ginger Tea for nausea, Metamucil for constipation, Mederma cream for to reduce scaring. I have purchased a few Kindle books on recipes for puree but I'm not sure how much I will be making them. This is still a portion of the process I don't have a solid plan for other than the store bought stuff. I did see a good tip on the site today for high protein (15g) hot chocolate. So I might get a box of that. I want to be prepared but I also do not want a lot of stuff I will not use.

As for the Vitamins they will probably be a combination of stuff. Right now the physicians office I am with is going with Nascobal B12 nasal spray KIT and in the kit they provide the multi vitamin, calcium, and iron. For D3 I am going to try a liquid. I did buy a "smart scale" which makes it so easy to track your weight the info just goes right to your smart phone. I have realized that each physicians office has their own way of doing things and their own recommendations for what they want their specific patients to do. I hope this information helps. Best of luck to you & congratulations on your surgery date!
    im so glad you mentioned the items and what they were for!