Surgeon
    Dr. Holder-Haynes
    Last Activity
    01-06-2019 10:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times
    Was Thanked 134 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

Default Howdy from Texas!

I had my initial consult just over a week ago.
    Surgery will still be expensive (i don't have full pricing yet) but because I'm an employee of the hospital performing the surgery, the pre-op requirements are minimal.

My surgeon says I need to lose 2 pounds before my next appointment. Two pounds is easy. It's the other 140 that's a bit more difficult. A few days ago, I emptied my liquor cabinet down the drain. That will definitely help.

My surgeon said she thinks I can do the surgery in I think 2-3 months. I've got 3 appointments scheduled for April (dietician, psychologist and surgeon). I don't have sleep apnea so I can skip the sleep study (and save a few bucks).

I've lost weight many times in the past, but yet here I am again. My best weight loss was in 2002. I lost 145+ pounds on weight watchers. While I was extremely successful on that program, I think it really taught me how to eat really poorly. I could eat whatever I wanted if I stayed within my points. And I liked to eat big plates of food, so I found out how to eat a huge plate of whole wheat pasta (w/ soy meat instead of ground beef) and added some veggies (broccoli mainly). All said, the calorie content was relatively low. Fat content was very low. Fiber content was super high. Point wise, it was great. But it was a huge plate of food. I wasn't training my stomach or my brain to eat less food. I was instead learning how to eat a whole lot of food in a single sitting and make it work for me.

I've never been diabetic. My fasting blood sugar has usually been 90 or less. At my last blood work, it was 101. It's not 'bad' yet, but it's trending in the wrong direction. My blood pressure is very high. It's under control, but I don't want to take drug cocktails forever.

What really got me was Kevin Smith tweeting he had a massive heart attack last month. He's 47. I'm 48. That was a huge wake up call to me. I'm still young enough to get this under control.

I've seen 3 co-workers go through the surgery.
    One is a few years post-op. He looks a lot better. He stopped losing a bit too soon but he still dropped probably 100 pounds and is in significantly better health.
    The second one - she's about 2 years post-op. She cheats a lot. She eats bad food, goes out to eat all the time, goes out drinking, etc. She probably lost 50-60 pounds, but could stand to lose 50-60 more. However, even if she doesn't lose another pound, she too is in signficantly better health. Even 50-60 pounds is a huge improvement.
    The third guy is probably 8 months post op and his weight is still falling off. He's probably lost 140 pounds already. He probably has another 100 to lose (and he's still losing).

I'm a bit scared. I like to eat big meals and I like to drink. This is a drastic change. However, I also like to fit on rides at disneyworld. I like to get up off the couch without struggling. I like to buy clothes at regular stores and have them fit. I like to walk up one flight of stairs without huffing and puffing. And, overall, I like to live.
    So yeah, a bit drastic to go under the knife for surgery, so i'm hear to read about people's success stories, learn about how to maximize my own success, and learn as much as I can so I can be as informed as I can before surgery.

I don't have a surgery date yet. Best case - late June/early July. Worst case, early October. The reason - it depends on cost. My wife and I have about $3000 or so FSA dollars now and adding a bit to it is doable, but adding a lot to it may be more difficult. My wife can get another $2500 FSA dollars on October 1st. So worst case, I may need to schedule after October 1, and pay part before Oct 1 and part after.
    I'd rather June. But October is still OK. I turn 50 in Oct 2019. My goal is to run a 10K on my 50th bday. I've been a runner in the past, and I hope to start running again 4-6 months post-op, depending on weight loss. I can't run yet - my knees couldn't take it and I'd be out of breath. But if I start slowly even at 6 months post-op, I'll make my goal for my 50th bday!

* High Weight = 339 * * * Surgery Weight = 276 *

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Howdy from Texas!

Hi Glenn! Welcome to the group! Part of your post that really stood out to me was going on rides. I have a 10 year old. Last summer was the first time I went on rides without worrying about fitting. It was amazing. i can't wait to go on more rides this summer. I even went to an amusement park with a friends teeanger and went on everything. So much fun. There are so many things I can do now that I couldn't even think about doing before. I'm living my life and not watching life, if that makes sense. You're taking the steps to do the same! It's exciting! You're going to do great! You have questions? We are here to help! One thing to note, is that every surgeon seems to have their own protocol for before/after. Some are similar and some so, so different.

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    02/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Perrillo
    Last Activity
    08-23-2020 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 259 Times
    Was Thanked 475 Times in 285 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Welcome aboard! It is a total lifestyle change from a food perspective. You will not be able to eat big meals anymore.

One of the most important things to consider / wrap your head around, is to figure out what your relationship with food is. Why do you eat? For me, I was a total stress eater. When I got stressed, I would eat. I was stressed a lot...... I believe if you can figure out your reasons, you can attempt to change that behavior. It is an everyday challenge for me.

Good luck! I have no regrets however.

Welcome aboard, from another Glenn!
    LOVING MY NEW LIFE!!!!

"Never take life to seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!"

Remember, in this thing, it's a good thing to be a loser!

High Weight - 317
    Pre Surgery Weight - 291
    Current Weight - 181 OMG
    Target Weight -205 That's right, 205!!!!

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    08/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Holder-Haynes
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times

Stress is a big part of why I eat and drink. I used to handle stress by running. I'm too fat to run right now (yes, I can exercise in other ways - need to walk more). I also eat for comfort.

I intend to be active here pre-op and hopefully for a long-time (decades) post-op, so if (when) I slip, I can jump right back in.

thanks!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Last Activity
    08-21-2022 11:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 265 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 209 Times

Welcome GlennA18. Like you, I did Weight Watchers prior to having surgery and learned how to be creative to maximize the points. I was successful but like a lot of people once I stopped counting points I regained. I could always lose weight but struggled to keep the weight off. Weight loss surgery has saved me. I've managed to keep the weight off going on 2+ years using some of the skills I learned on Weight Watchers. If you did every diet under the sun like I did you can use that skill set post surgery to help you lose and maintain the weight loss. Your post sounds like you're ready and I believe you'll be successful with your journey.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Glenn #2 ... howdy and welcome.

You sound determined and smart and ready to make the changes needed to make your life healthier, happier and longer. That's truly all you need to start.

WLS has changed my life for the better, too. If you're in a reading mood, click on the links below at the bottom of my signature block -- they're my first three "surgiversary" posts (I'm 3.5 years post-op at this point). Spoiler: I've lost over 100 pounds and kept it ALL off. During the last 4 years I've learned so, so much about myself and nutrition, and created a completely different, much healthier lifestyle for myself, including daily exercise.

And if you think old dogs can't learn new tricks -- ha! I was sleeved at age 68 and am now 72. I look 15 years younger than I am and feel at least 25 years younger.

Oh, and I still drink wine -- but only 5 ounces a day (although I didn't drink any alcohol the first 6 months post-op). And I still enjoy good food -- but just not as much as I used to eat. BTW, over time you CAN eat more than you'll be able to eat the first few months after surgery (your new sleeve will be terribly swollen then). But you'll never be able to eat as much as you did pre-op. And I have a feeling you don't want to eat that much either.

A final spoiler: Slim people don't eat nearly as much as we used to eat either.

You can do this. And you can change your life. And it can be wonderful. Stay enthused and optimistic. IMO, your attitude is tremendously critical to your long-term success.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome Glenn. Your story is very familiar with a lot of us I'm sure. Having WLS is the single best thing that I have ever done for myself. I'm loving the new me that is evolving. I'm still only 6 months out but there are some long termers on here that have wealth of information and are extremely supportive. You've already met one - Ann2 - above
    Good luck - you won't regret it for a minute.

11. Said thanks:

Name
    Kerry
    Surgery date
    02/26/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr M Castro
    Last Activity
    09-12-2018 03:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 64 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Howdy back from a fellow Texan!
    If I may repeat what Ann2 wrote, attitude is paramount and changing old habits is vital. I had my surgery on February 26th of this year so I am still on the liquid diet. I find myself in situations where I have to ask myself "am I really hungry or is this a time/place that I am used to eating?" I was mindlessly eating a handful of this or that and allllll that adds up. I have come to the realization that I cannot eat like my athlete husband. We have always enjoyed good food and cooking together. Once I am healed enough to eat real food again, I am looking forward to getting back to sharing that part of life. albeit in a much more mindful and healthy manner. And if I am being honest, enjoying a cocktail. There are a lot of things I DO NOT miss. I don't miss the "food coma" feeling after a big meal. I don't miss the headache after imbibing too much. I won't miss the panic of "what am I going to wear because nothing fits". I won't miss the look of concern on my doctors face when they take my blood pressure or discuss my cholesterol. And on and on.

The positives FAR outweigh (no pun intended :-) ) all the required changes. This surgery has caused me to do some real soul searching and I am not only getting my body healthier but also my mind and even my relationships.

Best of everything to you and please keep posting. Ask questions. Do research. Then ask some more questions. There is great support in this forum and help is always available.

Best,

KPG

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Glenn... I think the two Glenns could be good mates, you sound pretty similar! I think you're all set mate and will do really well. Hope you get earlier rather than later but it will be okay either way. best of luck :-)

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    08/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Holder-Haynes
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. I knew going in that many people with the same thoughts, concerns, worries, challenges, etc have been through this before me - and it helps! Looking forward to getting to know everyone more and learning from y'all.

thanks!

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome Glenn! I ran a half marathon 13 months post op. I am 4'11" and have lost 99 lbs. You can totally do it. You will get out of this what you put into it.

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    08/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Holder-Haynes
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times

So got some minor bad news last week and some good news this week.

Doc wanted me to get a sleep apnea test. I did not want to do so, but I also want to improve my health and take care of myself and it was kinda sorta a requirement to get the test before surgery. And of course I have sleep apnea. I'll be getting my cpap soon. I really hope it's temporary. So that's the bad news. And it costs money for the doc appointments and the CPAP machine and everything else. So i'm prepared to wait a bit for my surgery until my wife gets more fsa money.

And now the good news. I thought she got her FSA money on Oct 1. I was wrong - it's Sep 1.
    So best case for surgery - June. But worst case is now Sep, not Oct. So I likely do need to wait 5 months - which sucks. But that's better than 6 months.

Name
    Glenn
    Surgery date
    08/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Holder-Haynes
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times

For the record, I really HATE my profile pic. But I'm glad I have it there. Keeps reminding me that yes - i'm making a good decision here.

Gastric Sleeve Member Juanita62's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    Stephen Archer
    Last Activity
    08-31-2020 09:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 92 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 156 Times

I hate my profile pic too, but I chose it to remind me why i'm doing this. It's weird because when I look in the mirror I don't see myself as heavy as them I see pictures. Good luck!!

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Fingers crossed that you can get your surgery sooner rather than later. I know waiting sucks. Sorry about the sleep test. I was lucky enough to not have to do one.