10/26/2011
    Surgeon
    Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-10-2013 06:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Exclamation PLEASE HELP...How did you all survive this "liquid diet"????

Ok, first of all we are all doing this surgery because we love food HOW in the hell am I supposed to go 7 days on a LIQUID DIET????? Any suggestions? tips?? OMG I feel like im going to DIE with out food!!!!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/23/2011
    Last Activity
    08-01-2012 09:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: PLEASE HELP...How did you all survive this "liquid diet"????

The first three days were the worst for me! I also gave up caffeine at the same time. I used sugar free jello whenever I could as something extra. You'll be hungry and will probably have some regret and remorse. (I was really bummed that I didn't have a couple of my favorite foods before I started.). BUT... I kept my mind on the prize! My dr told me that if my liver wasn't thin enough, the would not proceed with the surgery.

SO, for me the liquid diet was harder than surgery, recovery, liquid diet post-op, mush and now! Just remind yourself that you are doing this to feel better, be strong and stick to it! The time will go fast!

Best of luck to you!

Gastric Sleeve Member holeymoley's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/05/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 103 Times
    Blog Entries

beef broth & chicken broth & jello....hot apple juice with water...u can do it....i saw ppl suffer who didn't follow the clear liquids pre-op...its designed to shrink the liver so its outta the way during the op

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tanaka
    Last Activity
    04-11-2012 12:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

I was never instructed to go on a 7 day liquid diet before surgery. I was just told to make sure I had my protein shakes daily and 24 hrs before surgery I had to fast. After surgery was when I went on the 7 day liquid diet and it was hell. I too had regrets but after you get over the 1st week it gets better. I'm 4 1/2 wks post op and I'm loving it more and more every day. You can do it!!!!

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jason Reynoso
    Last Activity
    01-28-2014 11:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

I was not put on any pre-op diet. I was just told not to gain any weight. Is that strange? I plan on doing a liquid diet anyway.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member holeymoley's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/05/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 103 Times
    Blog Entries

its important to shrink the liver so theres room to work in the abdomen....also the 3 day clear liquid fast helps u recover after sugery...theres probably lots of other reasons but those are the ones that i was told

Gastric Sleeve Member VSGOct2011's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Guillermo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    07-04-2013 09:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 112 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 72 Times
    Blog Entries

It goes by your BMI & starting weight. I did 3 weeks, yep 21 whole liquid filled days. mmmmmm water, mmmmm protein shake (EAS Strawberry Cream 42 Gm Protein), mmmmm Kaizen H2O Water (10 gm protein) & Protein Jello - 23 gm protein = 75 gm protein/day. Plus all the clear water/Crystal Light & broth I could handle. I got through it with 17 lbs of weight loss as of my surgery day, this past Saturday Oct 8th. The key to making it through is 1) you will get a headache or some kind of carb withdrawal by day 3-4 just suck it up and think to yourself - it's just withdrawal you aren't really hungry. 2) Keep up the protein with the liquids - as long as you are getting enough protein you will not feel hungry. I am now in the 21 day liquid diet post-op so when all is said and done, 21 days liquid prior, IV surgery day & day after, followed by another 21 days = 44 days of liquids. I am doing it because I believe in what my doctor has said about keeping infection minimal and allowing proper healing period for my new sleeve. It's a short period of time in the grand picture of a lifetime of thing & healthy. I will not cheat during the post-op...I refuse! Why spend the money if you're just going to throw it all away and revert to old habits? Also, every doctor has their own reasons for when they allow foods to be introduced back into the diet, but I've chosen my doctor based on my belief in his medical reasoning and his theories of this so why would I go against his advice?

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    10-22-2012 11:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 317 Times
    Blog Entries

what is Protein Jello??? I've heard reference to this before.

Name
    Joshua
    Surgery date
    09/19/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Thomas Bass
    Last Activity
    08-06-2012 08:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 110 Times
    Was Thanked 225 Times in 138 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times

It's all mind over matter. I felt like I would die without food - but I had to get a grip and realize WHY I was doing this. I have full faith in you.
    Follow me on my blog: http://www.exfatcat.blogspot.com

Follow the Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/exfatcat

Join our Gastric Sleevers Site on FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gastric-Sleevers

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jorge Rincon
    Last Activity
    05-03-2012 05:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Michelle - I had real concerns about the liquid pre op phase of this procedure also. I love food - the texture, taste, smell of it. I even love growing it, cooking it and preserving it. But I had to come to the realization that my stomach does not control me. I control it now. The surgeon I choose has a nutritionist on staff, that I met with for a couple of hours on day one. She gave me a lot of really good information on the need for protein and supplements during this period, along with samples of certain protein shakes. After sampling them (and my husband sampled them with me to be supportive), I choose the one I liked the best that has a really high protein gram count. I was advised to have no more than 5 of these a day, and supplement them with broth, water and Crystal Light. The very first day, I could only get 3 down, (they are 7 oz water plus protein powder), 2 servings of broth and my Crystal Light peach tea. I was constantly full and had no hunger pangs. The first seven days saw a 7 pound weight loss, so that was my impetus to continue with this. You can do this - keep your mind focused on the end result. You can do this.

Gastric Sleeve Member Deeringer76's Avatar
    Name
    Amy Jo
    Surgery date
    10/25/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Leggett
    Last Activity
    10-16-2012 06:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

I am on day 4 of my 2 week liquid diet, first day I was like yeah I got this by the horns....yeah right! Day 2 I woke up starving I could have ate the house this day was hard and I was able to cook for my family but had to have the hubby serve the kids while I had some quiet time with my cup of broth and a book on the porch. Day 3 woke up with a real bad headache I know it wasn't withdraw from sodas cause I knocked that out 4 months ago but my legs also ached...weird. Today is day 4 so far so good no headache yay!!!! I bought Isopure unflavored powder but they lie I can still taste it bleh.... but my Dr said I have to have 80-90g of protein a day no more than four shakes, so I broke my scoops down
    (1scp = 110cal, 1scp = 26gop)...(1scp = 4tbs )...(1tbs=28cal, 1tbs=7gop)
    if you do the math some came out w/.5 so I rounded up. Now I do 13tbs a day and when I add a tbs of protein to my coffee, drink or broth etc... it aint so bad but I know my little formula will change after the sleeve. Good luck with your liquid diet!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jorge Rincon
    Last Activity
    05-03-2012 05:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Wow Amy Jo - thats excellent. I had achy legs last week too. I just thought that was me, but now I'm wondering if it has anything to do with this abrupt change in diet. Yesterday morning I awoke to a skin rash spreading across my right chest and neck. I am hoping this was a result of stuff that I came in contact with this past Monday morning. I had to have an IVC filter installed (due to my history with pulmonary embolisms) before surgery. I know that I am allergic to adhesives, and told everyone from the admissions clerk, to the RN in the room where I had my vitals taken, to the RN in pre-op to the Cath Lab techs that were attaching the leads to me - did they put non allergenic lead patches on me? NO! Then, when back in recovery, the recovery room RN changed the paper tape bandage to put on one with a lot of staying power (for 2 days she said) and kept trying to get me to eat a sandwich. She would not listen to me about why I kept refusing - end result a HUGE (5X5 inch) red area on my neck. They used this blue surgical soap on me also - which I must be allergic to, since I have what looks like a heat rash spreading across my neck and chest, up into the base of my hair, etc. I had to go to my primary care physician yesterday to get a prescription for a cortisone topical cream. It hasn't completely knocked it out yet, but starting to get better. My hubby is calling the patient advocate for the hospital I will be at tomorrow morning to make sure this is not repeated. Just something to think about.....

If you are allergic to anything - good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member Deeringer76's Avatar
    Name
    Amy Jo
    Surgery date
    10/25/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Leggett
    Last Activity
    10-16-2012 06:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

Thanks Mary, I have to have the IVC filter next week, I went yesterday to fill out my paperwork and the nurse said she will call me sometime today and set a date. Sorry the nurse didn't listen to you on your allergies, I'm not allergic to anything (knock on wood). Did they say they remove the filter after surgery or is it in us forever I forgot to ask when I went, I don't have a history of clots but had a scare once I had bronchitis and went to the hospital cause I couldn't breath well they did chest x rays and seen a spot in my lung immediately they though clot and gave me blood thinners after more test they discovered it was a pneumothorax, so the blood thinners being on my file plus my size my Dr doesn't want to take any chances and neither do I !!!!! That is crazy about the leg aches it's got to be in the change of diet! Good luck on your surgery tomorrow I will be praying for your Dr a steady hand and you a speedy recovery! Can't wait for updates!!!!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Mel
    Last Activity
    07-26-2012 04:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hi there I'm just over 3 weeks after my Gastric Sleeve and i've survived lol. I was given some protein drinks and was told to have 2 a day, the other liquids i could have were: Milk, Tea, Herbal / Fruit Teas, fruit juice (but be careful you only need a bit and it might go straight through and give you a bad stomach), Oxo, you could also have some sugar free jelly, that was my saviour!!! You could also have slim fast if you like it?

I thought i couldn't do it, but i have and i did it for 3 weeks, but i did say i think i've forgotten how to chew!! lol xx

At the moment i'm on the puree food and its a bit better, but i'm starting to loose the weight and starting to notice, when that happens you just want to keep with it, and you will! I'm also going on short walks twice a day and that helps because you get to go outside and get some fresh air.

Keep with it and you will be fine, I'm here if you need to talk xx

Gastric Sleeve Member VSGOct2011's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Guillermo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    07-04-2013 09:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 112 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 72 Times
    Blog Entries

@ Dutchgal - I got protein snack Jello from a bodybuilder's supplements store (Popeye's - you can find them online) and it's got 100 calories, 0 fat & 23 grams of protein. The store near me sells 2 flavours, a tropical fruit and a cherry - I prefer the cherry. Because it's 'clear' and dissolves it is approved for the clear liquid phase.

21. Said thanks: