Surgeon
    Dr. Hussain Abbas
    Last Activity
    10-18-2020 09:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default 4 Weeks Post Op and Not Getting Enough Calories and Carbs

I'm about 4 weeks post op and still not getting enough calories. Found out I was eating <30 grams carbs and still meeting the 60 gram protein and <20 fat goals, as well as fluids at about 500 cals. I simply just can't seem to eat enough. I'm supposed to have six small meals a day. I really can't hold more than two ounces of salmon, turkey or chicken, even though they are fork tender and moist. I eat low-fat cottage cheese and cheese sticks. Bought some bariatric protein oatmeal, but still can't seem to get it all in. My weight loss is starting to stall and I think it is because of this. My nutritionist said to add another snack. I have a limited number of choices that agree with me at this point, and if I eat protein first, which I do, there's no room for carbs. Should I eat something like grits or crackers (very limited quantities of course). Suggestions, please.

SW: 221 lbs
    M1: 208 (-14)
    M2: 192 (-16)
    M3:
    M4:
    M5:
    M6:
    M7:
    M8:
    M9:
    M10:
    M11:
    Y1:

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 4 Weeks Post Op and Not Getting Enough Calories and Carbs

This sounds really normal at 4 weeks. I could only manage a couple of teaspoons of protein and my water and protein shake for breakfast. It is really hard to get food in at that stage. I wonder if there is an unneeded concern about calories in the early stages.

I hear a lot of people talking about it at really early stages, and I just think it isn't possible to up the calories without eating some unwise things. I tend to go with the idea of getting enough protein and liquid and not worrying about calories at that stage.

Even now at 4 months I cant eat a lot and have only just managed to fit in a piece of veg after protein. I may be totally wrong about it all but I've heard the comments about being told to eat 1200 calories at 6 weeks or something, and I just cant agree :-s

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm 6 months out and only eating on average around 700 calories a day (according to the food app I use).
    I have a protein shake for breakfast, approx. 80-100 gram chicken/cottage cheese/fish etc for lunch - with a couple of slices of cucumber and 1 or 2 cherry tomatoes if I can fit them in, and then 80-100 gram chicken - or other protein for dinner. I try to fit in a couple of small pieces of vegetable - broccoli, carrot, etc but is usually is just a very token amount and I often don't finish the protein completely either. I sometimes have a snack of a mini Babybel cheese or a small piece of fruit (it's summer here and I love stone fruit) for morning or afternoon tea but it's not everyday I still focusing on getting my protein first and anything else follows.Weight is still coming off.
    We are all different. I think you just have to find what works for you within the parameters.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

That sounds like where I was at 4 weeks. Seems to me like you're doing well. I found this to be a helpful and clear set of guidelines: https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education...astric_bypass/ (It applies to sleeve as well.) This says you should get 300-600 calories in the first two months, which seems about right. I'm at 3.5months and eating about 800-1000 calories.

I wouldn't worry about stalling. It happens to all of us and is a normal part of letting your body catch up. You might explore some different proteins. Scallops work really well for me and are packed with protein. I also try to eat a yogurt (usually takes me more than one sitting for a cup) and I add Premier Protein to my coffee which gives me a good protein bump. You will gradually be able to eat more but there's no rush. Just be sure to get enough water and protein and take your vitamins & supplements.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Amanda
    Surgery date
    10/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Eagan
    Last Activity
    11-27-2020 12:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 178 Times in 142 Posts

That sounds about right for 4 weeks out.
    Right now I’m 5 months out and still can’t eat a full 2 ounces of meat yet. I get about 30 g of carbs/day. I get about 700 calories mostly from protein shakes still.
    I think you’re doing great! We all have stalls here and there and 3-4 weeks is a typical spot where people stall. My surgeon told me I needed to get more calories, but I just physically can’t. Definitely only eat/drink the amount that is comfortable for you.

Also, people progress with what foods they can eat at different times. I couldn’t eat any solid food until almost 7 weeks out.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I was never given calorie goals by my surgeon/NUT but just protein and fluid goals. If I started to stall I would add more calories from protein. I kept it low carb until I was almost to goal.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/12/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Nicholson
    Last Activity
    05-07-2018 03:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

Man, I am totally opposite, I am also 4 weeks out, but I feel like I can eat too much at once, I was 100 grams of protein and 64 oz of water the day after my surgery and have never looked back, I haven't had any issues with anything but worried about how much I can eat already, I take easy and stop at any sign of fullness, Hopefully it just feels that way because of the 3 weeks of liquid after has reprogrammed my brain.

HW 305, SW 282, CW 248

15. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    02/09/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hussain Abbas
    Last Activity
    10-18-2020 09:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Thank you, again everyone! This has been very helpful. I’m not going to worry now. I can meet my protein and fluid goals with shakes and I found a really good hot cocoa with 15 grams protein. I was worried because my bariatric center said to not go below 600 Cal’s a day and I was so tired I thought it might be from not enough carbs as well as still healing. I also didn’t know about the 4 week stall. I’m going to work the plan and trust it. Thank you!

SW: 221 lbs
    M1: 208 (-14)
    M2: 192 (-16)
    M3:
    M4:
    M5:
    M6:
    M7:
    M8:
    M9:
    M10:
    M11:
    Y1:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/12/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Garth Davis
    Last Activity
    03-22-2018 09:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I have stalled at 4 weeks as well. I haven't lost anything since my three week mark, which is when I returned to work and ramped up my activity level. It's also when I transitioned from pureed to soft solids, so I was worried I was somehow OVEReating and killing my weight loss.

My dietitian and manual did not really give specific calorie/protein guidelines besides "eat soft stuff" for this week so I am finding the advice here very helpful.

Peak weight: 318 lb.
    January 2018: 290 lb.
    Surgery Day: 256 lb.
    March 2018: 232 lb.