Last Activity
    09-05-2021 02:43 AM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Too few complications

Hi everyone.

I'm about 2 months post surgery and so far I've lost 45 lbs, which has been great. But over the last month I've only lost about a pound every other week. For the first month I stuck to liquids, and then mushed foods and I did fine. If I ate too much my stomach told me that's enough. I had a meal and was satisfied for hours. When I started on solids I took it slowly, but within about a week my stomach seems to tolerate everything maybe better than it should.

I'll eat about a 1/3 sized meal and within an hour my stomach is back to it's old self and telling me I need snacks. I know as long as I'm losing, it's fine, but I'm concerned that won't last and I'll be back to my old self and gaining weight again.

After the surgery I'm not able to eat like I could before, but at the same time I don't feel like it's restricting me that much either. I thought my appetite would go down as well, but it hasn't.

Ultimately I think I'm going to have to succeed where I failed before and just somehow retrain my brain to stop the snacking. Like I've heard before, the surgery is a tool to help you, but I still need to do the work. Any tips or experiences would be helpful. Thanks

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Too few complications

Quote Originally Posted by Gru View Post
    Hi everyone.

I'm about 2 months post surgery and so far I've lost 45 lbs, which has been great. But over the last month I've only lost about a pound every other week. For the first month I stuck to liquids, and then mushed foods and I did fine. If I ate too much my stomach told me that's enough. I had a meal and was satisfied for hours. When I started on solids I took it slowly, but within about a week my stomach seems to tolerate everything maybe better than it should.

I'll eat about a 1/3 sized meal and within an hour my stomach is back to it's old self and telling me I need snacks. I know as long as I'm losing, it's fine, but I'm concerned that won't last and I'll be back to my old self and gaining weight again.

After the surgery I'm not able to eat like I could before, but at the same time I don't feel like it's restricting me that much either. I thought my appetite would go down as well, but it hasn't.

Ultimately I think I'm going to have to succeed where I failed before and just somehow retrain my brain to stop the snacking. Like I've heard before, the surgery is a tool to help you, but I still need to do the work. Any tips or experiences would be helpful. Thanks
    Oh brain retraining is such a challenge! My "guidelines" said that I should be at 3 meals a day; well, talking to the nutrionist, she said no, I could do smaller and more frequent as suited me personally.

That said, the best thing for me is to keep on hand, ready to grab HEALTHY & appropriate choices. And pushing my liquids (ugh) and making sure I get enough sleep. It's all about your body trying to find equilibrium.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

5. Said thanks:

Gru

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts

Your sleeve is a tool, but you have to control the tool. Theoretically, you could snack all day long with a sleeve and not lose weight. But sticking to 3 small meals and a snack is the way to go with limited portions.

Early on the feeling of hunger is often either head hunger or stomach acid. Are you taking anything for acid?

Lastly, weight loss varies. You've lost a lot so far! Your pace will change all the time. Don't get discouraged. If you are doing everything you're supposed to be doing, it will come off.

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

7. Said thanks:

Gru

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

It's not your stomach telling you that you "need snacks" it's the old brain thinking pattern. Drink liquids, go for a walk, save a bit of food for a "smaller meal." Try not to concentrate on the word or the foods of "snacks" this is a slippery slope and it can get you into trouble quickly. Remember, snacks before surgery used to represent as bags of chips, pizza, etc. now a snack is a cheese stick, yogurt, frozen ice pop s/f, s/f pudding, etc. Change up your old way of thinking about food and the first year (the honeymoon phase) is when you can retrain the thinking pattern, adapt new healthy habits, and lose most of your unwanted weight.

Continued success!

9. Said thanks:

Gru

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

I sometimes feel hungry soon after a meal (1-2 hours) and I am trying to be disciplined about drinking a large glass of water when that occurs. I'm amazed that the hunger seems to disappear most of the time. Someone on this forum (maybe Ann2?) wrote about our signals for thirst & hunger getting confused after surgery. At the time I didn't really buy it since I thought I understood the difference, but I as usual, she was right. See if it works for you.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

What are you eating? Are you eating solid proteins first and then veggies? Or are you filling up on carbs? I know if I eat a solid piece of meat I can eat less and it will keep me full for much longer than crackers will. I will say 45 lbs is a lot in 2 months. Usually the weight loss does not slow to 1 lb every other week until you are close to goal. I don't think restriction is most likely your issue but rather what you are eating possibly. And I know that when my weight loss slowed I was actually eating too little. Just a thought. Good luck.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Tom
    Surgery date
    12/27/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Alanis
    Last Activity
    09-05-2021 02:43 AM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries

For breakfast, cream of wheat (still eating since my creamed food days) sometimes a lite yoplait. For lunch, a small chili from Wendy's or a turkey pita wrap. For dinner, I'll have some Baked Ricota (like cheese pizza with no crust) or fish or a little of what the rest of the family is having. I do have snacks with carbs too. I know that's probably where I need to change something, and I should have more fruits & veggies.

I am finally seeing some movement though and am now at 50 lbs down I'm very happy about that!

16. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

You can stop the snacking, that is a recipe for disaster so early on. If you are hungry, have a healthy snack. A few carrots dipped in hummus will fill you up quickly. Or a small handful of almonds. Or some of a protein drink.

Now is not the time for any junk food. You can do it!

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    You can stop the snacking, that is a recipe for disaster so early on. If you are hungry, have a healthy snack. A few carrots dipped in hummus will fill you up quickly. Or a small handful of almonds. Or some of a protein drink.

Now is not the time for any junk food. You can do it!
    I agree that snacking is not a good habit to restart! Almonds are wonderful and require lots of chewing so that helps me. I do my protein first ALWAYS. Then the dense carbs (vegetables) and if there is any room left (not usually) I do a "fun" carb, like mountain grain bread, 1/4-1/2 piece. Plain.

My exception is a small bowl of Scottish steel cut oatmeals (1/2 C) mixed with Premier Protein Powder, for breakfast. But that's about it at 5 months.

And Ann2/Dale are correct that sometimes you are thirsty, not hungry. And for me, sometimes I need a quick sit down or nap. (But I'm old)
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!