Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How many carbs at 3+ months?

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    I know for me personally when I stalled it was a sign that I needed to up my intake. But I did work out. So I think my body needed more. That being said, when I upped what I was eating it meant more protein and more veg. I did not start eating more carbs until I was almost to goal and it was because I was running so much I needed them. I still focus on protein and veggies. Then I add my healthy carbs. I do eat some not healthy carbs occasionally. I do weigh every day to ensure I am not sabotaging all of my hard work.
    I can say that chocolate milk is considered a perfect after run or post workout drink. I have read that many times in my running magazines. It is said to help muscles recover after a hard work out. Not saying I agree with it for sleevers, especially in the weight loss phase.
    And as Ann said this first year we are not only changing our body but our eating habits. And with so little that we are able to eat we are NEEDING to give our bodies the most nutritious foods possible. I would only suggest eating crap foods to up your calories if you are one of those people who can't stop losing weight post off. (There are a few out there that become so dangerously thin they need to do what they can.)
    As for working with a personal trainer, I don't think that is a bad thing but if you are burning a tremendous amount of calories you will have to eat a bit more. I would suggest drinking more protein shakes as they have a ton of great things in them plus they help with your liquid count. It does not have to be just water.
    Well yep , we can afford chocolate milk when we have just ran 12km or something. Exceptions are the runners :-)

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts

The only carbs I really eat are green vegetable carbs. At 3-4 months out I don't think I was eating more than a forkful of a carb. I was still focused on getting in my protein and just didn't have room.

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

I work in a large bariatric center and not one of our registered dietitians would recommend chocolate milk or eating foods that aren't nutrient rich to get in your calories. We urge our patients to make sure they drink their liquids, get in enough protein by eating healthfully and forming healthy meals to sustain a lifetime of maintenance. This is not just a "race" to get in calories, it's a behavior change for a lifetime of eating well to nourish our bodies and minds. Combine the eating habits with good physical fitness habits and you're ahead of the game. Calorie counting is tiresome for some, but eating protein first, then eating healthy veggies, etc. is a "game changer." There's lots of information here from some very smart people and on the internet from some very good reputable sites, i.e, bariatric eating, theworldaccordingtoeggface, etc.

Continued success!

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ewing
    Last Activity
    10-10-2018 06:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 78 Times
    Was Thanked 194 Times in 158 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 259 Times

Dale, The practice I go has me eating 4oz of food 3 times a day then2 2 oz snacks. Protein 70 grams per day and 74oz of fluid. Eat 2 bites of protein to 1 bite of vegetables or carbs. Eating protein and veg first. I have note begun to count calories as of yet and follow this has worked for me at 60. My loss has slowed once the past month and a half and that is normal according to doc I see. Might want to give this philosophy a try and maybe it will get things moving. Blessings!

Also add in one protein shake a day!

9. Said thanks:

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Alynn View Post
    Dale, The practice I go has me eating 4oz of food 3 times a day then2 2 oz snacks. Protein 70 grams per day and 74oz of fluid. Eat 2 bites of protein to 1 bite of vegetables or carbs. Eating protein and veg first. I have note begun to count calories as of yet and follow this has worked for me at 60. My loss has slowed once the past month and a half and that is normal according to doc I see. Might want to give this philosophy a try and maybe it will get things moving. Blessings!
    Thanks! That sounds like a sensible approach.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ewing
    Last Activity
    10-10-2018 06:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 78 Times
    Was Thanked 194 Times in 158 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 259 Times

D. It a lot easier than counting calories, just cook and measure or weigh. Also it makes it easy when I eat out as I can now pretty much judge what a half a cup of food looks like. Wishing you well!

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I never thought I’d ever write this, but your NUT is right

Go read my posts about how to bust stalls. Then try it. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain in terms of weight loss.

Remember....part of tinmans mantra is that carbs and fat are your friend.......

Go read my posts and find out why I think that.

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    I never thought I’d ever write this, but your NUT is right

Go read my posts about how to bust stalls. Then try it. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain in terms of weight loss.

Remember....part of tinmans mantra is that carbs and fat are your friend.......

Go read my posts and find out why I think that.
    Oh tinman, I have read all your posts but have not absorbed them well enough it appears. My concern is how to get in enough protein (I remember that rule) at this stage if I add in that many carbs. Will work on it.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Yea, we will all lose weight by drinking chocolate milk. Sorry but I am not 5.

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DHB View Post
    Oh tinman, I have read all your posts but have not absorbed them well enough it appears. My concern is how to get in enough protein (I remember that rule) at this stage if I add in that many carbs. Will work on it.
    Take your protein and add carbs. Instead of steak, chicken fried steak. Same with chicken and fish. I call it a three for one. You get protein, carbs, and fat all in one bite. Just remember to not overeat. If you stick to your normal portions, you cannot eat enough of these “bad” foods to make you gain weight. However, your body will think you are eating normally and will bust the stall..

Point number two. Protein is important because it is what maintains your metabolism. However, carbs and fat are what fuel it. Starve your body of fat and carbs and you will stall, stall often, and stay stalled for long periods of time. However, if you insist on low fat, low carb eating, the good news is that you will still lose weight. Just very slowly.

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Amanda
    Surgery date
    10/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Eagan
    Last Activity
    11-27-2020 12:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 178 Times in 142 Posts

I'm 4 months out and average 900 or so cals per day. Usually get 85 g protein, my carbs vary greatly day by day. Last week I calculated an average of carbs/day over 3 weeks and came out to 48g/day. Don't know if that's good or bad, but I tend to lose about 1.5-2lbs. per week.

21. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Never counted carbs. Just protein and liquids. I eat protein first, then veggies, then carbs if I'm still hungry. (And after 4+ years I often am, so I do eat carbs). I also exercise.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Aileen Takahashi
    Last Activity
    06-25-2018 07:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Jerzeygirl,

How much protein per day do the docs where you work recommend? Thanks, Loren

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

loren2, jerzeygirl is more likely to see your message if you send her a private message. Unfortunately, there's no way to tag someone in a forum post.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

25. Said thanks:

DHB

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DHB View Post
    I had my 3 month check up today. I expressed concern that my weight loss has been so slow and continues to get slower. (I don't even talk about stalls anymore.) My doctor blamed it on my age (64) but I know many of you here are around my age and have still had great success.

The nutritionist wants me to eat more (I'm around 800/day, she wants me at 1-1,200/day.) I track everything in MFP, so I'm pretty sure I'm accurate. What confused me most is that the NUT said she wanted me to up my carbs to around 100g/day. I have been keeping them around 30- 50g most days although if I crave a piece of quiche I'll have it and I sometimes have a turkey Subway on flatbread. The point is, I'm not being super strict about carbs but I'm not really eating that many less than I did pre-op so it seems strange to add more. She also suggested I eat more fruit as part of the "more carb" plan. Again, the idea of adding in the sugar from fruit seems like the wrong way to go at this point bc I can barely eat enough to get in my 60+grams of protein.

I burn about 250-400cal/day from exercise. (I wear a heart monitor that is synced to MFP, so that's an accurate count.)

I'd love to hear what those of you experienced sleevers think. I hate to say it, but the fact that the nutritionist is quite overweight makes me question her advice. Thanks!
    Oh Dale, what very interesting advice! I agree with Ann2 (as usual) and our long time folks.

I am 65 (66 in May ) and I started around the same time you did.

I have just bumped up to (trying) 900 calaories a day; I shoot for 113 g protein, 20 g fat, and ONLY 68 g carbs, which I try to do as vegetables, but confess to 1/2 of small serving of low popcorn from time to time.

My nutritionist emphasized again the importance of the protein. I am not exercising beyond doing 5,000 steps a day; I am just not quite in the mindset for that. I struggle to get the water in, but sraebaer suggested adding Premier Protein to my decaf coffee -- it makes it so tasty, gets in protein & liquid.

PM me if you would like to chat, and I'll send you my email

Don't be discouraged; but remind yourself that the doctors/nutrionists are your paid employees, and the folks here are on the journey and have the most helpful information on what works well for the majority.

Just prayers for resolution for you! It's a tough journey some days.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

27. Said thanks:

DHB