Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

Default How many carbs at 3+ months?

I had my 3 month check up today. I expressed concern that my weight loss has been so slow and continues to get slower. (I don't even talk about stalls anymore.) My doctor blamed it on my age (64) but I know many of you here are around my age and have still had great success.

The nutritionist wants me to eat more (I'm around 800/day, she wants me at 1-1,200/day.) I track everything in MFP, so I'm pretty sure I'm accurate. What confused me most is that the NUT said she wanted me to up my carbs to around 100g/day. I have been keeping them around 30- 50g most days although if I crave a piece of quiche I'll have it and I sometimes have a turkey Subway on flatbread. The point is, I'm not being super strict about carbs but I'm not really eating that many less than I did pre-op so it seems strange to add more. She also suggested I eat more fruit as part of the "more carb" plan. Again, the idea of adding in the sugar from fruit seems like the wrong way to go at this point bc I can barely eat enough to get in my 60+grams of protein.

I burn about 250-400cal/day from exercise. (I wear a heart monitor that is synced to MFP, so that's an accurate count.)

I'd love to hear what those of you experienced sleevers think. I hate to say it, but the fact that the nutritionist is quite overweight makes me question her advice. Thanks!

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kerry
    Surgery date
    02/26/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr M Castro
    Last Activity
    09-12-2018 03:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 64 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How many carbs at 3+ months?

I have my surgery on Monday so I am not an experienced sleever. However, I am interested in what you learn and the replies you receive. Is getting a second opinion an option? I hope you get the answers you seek ;-)

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times

Quote Originally Posted by KerryPG View Post
    I have my surgery on Monday so I am not an experienced sleever. However, I am interested in what you learn and the replies you receive. Is getting a second opinion an option? I hope you get the answers you seek ;-)
    What most of us have found is this forum is our second (third & fourth) opinion. Lots of wisdom & experience here.

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Dale, I'm not a nutritionalist and so don't know any of this officially but in terms of carbs i would have thought your choices would be things like brown rice, sweet potato, vegetables, fruits. No bread or sweets or products similar. I know you know this... so her suggesting more carbs if they are good carbs sounds reasonable but to be honest I am staying away from them in the weight loss phase... except for a peice of veg and an odd rasberry. I find it hard to fit in much else except protein. It's hard to know what advice to take sometimes eh? And I couldn't fit in 1200 cals, I am around 800. Frustrating to know who to listen to.
    Ann will probably jump in soon to give this thread some pizzazz!

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr.Pace
    Last Activity
    01-26-2021 07:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 66 Times in 52 Posts

Hey

I am just a little over two month out and my NUT like yours says I should be eating 1200 calories, she doesn’t seem to be worried about my sugar intake as she suggested choc milk to boost calories. I had a lot of weight the first month but I am like you a slow loser with stalls. I get about 200-300 cals in exercise, I just got a personal trainer he also says I should be getting atleast 1200 calories. I am 38 it might just be out bodies and I have found from reading this site for months me and you seem to be very alike.

9. Said thanks:

DHB

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jen43 View Post
    Hey

I am just a little over two month out and my NUT like yours says I should be eating 1200 calories, she doesn’t seem to be worried about my sugar intake as she suggested choc milk to boost calories. I had a lot of weight the first month but I am like you a slow loser with stalls. I get about 200-300 cals in exercise, I just got a personal trainer he also says I should be getting atleast 1200 calories. I am 38 it might just be out bodies and I have found from reading this site for months me and you seem to be very alike.
    CHOCOLATE F**KING MILK?!?!?

I am so sorry you are receiving such ignorant advice. Instead, eat foods that are nutrient-rich, not something like chocolate milk, one cup of which has these macronutrients, including 26 sugars and 26 carbs and only 8 grams of protein. Jeez, Louise!

FYI, my nutritionist urged me to get to 1,000 calories starting at the beginning of Month Five. And then up to 1,200 calories starting at the beginning of Month Seven. I seriously have no idea how I could have eaten 1,200 calories of nutrient-rich food (not sugar crap) at only two months post-op.

For anyone who wants to know what, how much, and how I was eating while I lost weight, check out my First Surgiversary post found in the link below in my sig block.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Dale, I just looked back at my MFP records to see how many carbs I was eating at 3-4 months post-op. Remember that through Month 4 I was still hitting around 800 cals/day and getting in about 80 grams of protein. During that time my carbs varied quite a bit, from 45 - 85 grams/day. But most of my days at that point I was eating 50-70 carb grams.

As I raised my calories to 1,000 starting at the beginning of Month Five and again to 1,200 calories at the beginning of Month 7 my carbs naturally went up. But so did my protein -- to 100 grams on average.

The thing that's so important to appreciate (my opinion, of course) is that you're not eating at this point ONLY for the purpose of losing weight -- but to also build a new eating lifestyle of nutrient-rich foods that will sustain your health and to build a life-long healthy eating lifestyle.

And I'm still pissed about Jen's nutritionist's instruction to drink chocolate milk. GRRRRR!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Dale, I just looked back at my MFP records to see how many carbs I was eating at 3-4 months post-op. Remember that through Month 4 I was still hitting around 800 cals/day and getting in about 80 grams of protein. During that time my carbs varied quite a bit, from 45 - 85 grams/day. But most of my days at that point I was eating 50-70 carb grams.

As I raised my calories to 1,000 starting at the beginning of Month Five and again to 1,200 calories at the beginning of Month 7 my carbs naturally went up. But so did my protein -- to 100 grams on average.

The thing that's so important to appreciate (my opinion, of course) is that you're not eating at this point ONLY for the purpose of losing weight -- but to also build a new eating lifestyle of nutrient-rich foods that will sustain your health and to build a life-long healthy eating lifestyle.

And I'm still pissed about Jen's nutritionist's instruction to drink chocolate milk. GRRRRR!
    Yes, at least mine didn't mention chocolate milk. Thanks, as always.

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member dancingdebora's Avatar
    Name
    Debora Gordon
    Surgery date
    01/03/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Lam
    Last Activity
    12-26-2018 03:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

I'm just a newbie, but I have managed to get moving on the scale again after 2 weeks of no movement. I put my protein back up to about 80gms (I had slipped down to around 65), and close to 1000 calories, and I have lost 3lbs this week. Who knows if this is why, but I will keep doing it until something tells me not to. But I definitely keep my carbs down to less than 50g - more like 30. I suspect all our bodies work differently and it is just a matter of figuring out what works for each of us.

18. Said thanks:

DHB

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr.Pace
    Last Activity
    01-26-2021 07:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 66 Times in 52 Posts

Ann

With all the information I have received I am confused honestly. I have read your anniversary threads many times.

I question my decision to get a trainer so soon. He works my ass off lol

I am eating crap to get 1200 calories and I am eating so often I struggle to get my water in.

I am stalled for a month I believe this is from bad information I was told to do. Now the question in what do I do, start back at soft foods, just cut back my calories and eat what feels right and more nutrition.

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

You know I'm also astounded by the chocolate milk!!!!!!
    On reflection, my opinion might be unpopular but I'm going to say it. I think everyone needs to concentrate on FOOD... Like real food.
    Meat, fish, tofu, veg, fruit, wholegrains anything natural. Its simple. there is so much confusing advice!
    If you're eating processed food then you're up shit street. if you're eating bread, crackers, the odd bite of doughnut, drinking calories, smoothies, juice, pizza then you have trouble.
    Before anyone jumps on me, NO I don't think you have to be on a diet... yes I think eventually you can eat a slice of pizza and have a martini.... but at the beginning the surgery gives you the chance with, not so much hunger, and the preparation of the pre op diet etc to get out of eating the crap foods... read sweets, crisps, chips, bread, etc. For many people it is an addiction to processed foods they have to deal with. That's hard. That might take some therapy. But it's worth taing that honeymoon period to get into the good food habits. I don't think you have to starve. Eat as much as you want but make it nutritious. Some people may argue that they can lose eating hotdogs and whatever. Onya. Drive your own bus. I find that those foods often cause a slippery slope of addiction again. Here and there is probably fine if you are the sort of person who can do here and there.
    So as confusing as a lot of advice is, I'm sticking with real food and an odd dirty martini when I psyc myself up to try it again ;-)
    PS.... this post is NOT aimed at anyone. just a general rambling :-)

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I know for me personally when I stalled it was a sign that I needed to up my intake. But I did work out. So I think my body needed more. That being said, when I upped what I was eating it meant more protein and more veg. I did not start eating more carbs until I was almost to goal and it was because I was running so much I needed them. I still focus on protein and veggies. Then I add my healthy carbs. I do eat some not healthy carbs occasionally. I do weigh every day to ensure I am not sabotaging all of my hard work.
    I can say that chocolate milk is considered a perfect after run or post workout drink. I have read that many times in my running magazines. It is said to help muscles recover after a hard work out. Not saying I agree with it for sleevers, especially in the weight loss phase.
    And as Ann said this first year we are not only changing our body but our eating habits. And with so little that we are able to eat we are NEEDING to give our bodies the most nutritious foods possible. I would only suggest eating crap foods to up your calories if you are one of those people who can't stop losing weight post off. (There are a few out there that become so dangerously thin they need to do what they can.)
    As for working with a personal trainer, I don't think that is a bad thing but if you are burning a tremendous amount of calories you will have to eat a bit more. I would suggest drinking more protein shakes as they have a ton of great things in them plus they help with your liquid count. It does not have to be just water.

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I am having my sleeve in 7 weeks and am getting nervous again, as so many people are struggling with what to eat and losing weight. I would like to know what veg you are all eating as allot of red/orange veg are high in carbs.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Zarrouk
    Last Activity
    03-25-2018 01:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Hi, same age here and much the same timeframe. I seem to have slowed down somewhat and after a day or so I notice a slight drop. At the moment I'm hovering at 129 kg and 2 months ago I was 136.5kg. Do get full just eating 2 boiled eggs?, and maybe a cheese stick after an hour or so.
    Minimal grazing BUT on the right foods seem to be ok for me.
    Here's a favourite drink I make. Ingredients to suit your taste but it makes about 600mil.
    Chop half a green apple, some mint leaves, bit of minced ginger and a bit of apple juice to start the blending, Blend it until it looks....blended, lol, then add the rest of the apple juice and blend 1 more time. Gr8 vitamin C rev intake and very filling. Stick with things and I'm sure progress will ensure our journey into better things. Cheers Clem.

26. Said thanks:

DHB

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Zarrouk
    Last Activity
    03-25-2018 01:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I make my own chocolate milk using full cream milk, dash of chocolate ice cream topping and 3 heaped tablespoons of Whey protein powder, chuck in a raw egg and your good to go!!!!! (all blended of course)