Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanzo
    Last Activity
    03-19-2018 04:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Default Questions about Mexico surgeries

Hi everyone! I am new to this sight and would love some honest feedback. I have a gastric sleeve surgery scheduled for April 2nd in Tijuana Mexico with Dr. Mario Almanza and now I am having anxiety over my decision. Can anyone please give me the good and the bad on their experiences? I thought I had done enough research to be comfortable with everything but then I had someone tell me if there is any complication that a local doctor will not even see you. I am 48 years old and not as quick to heal and do not want to be making a mistake. Thank you for your time!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member nineohtwo's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/19/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Valenzuela
    Last Activity
    02-12-2019 07:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Questions about Mexico surgeries

Hi there,
    I had my surgery at the Mi Doctor hospital in Tijuana, Dec 19/17, and the experience was great. I'm an RN in Canada...I found no fault with their care at all. Actually, as private institution, the care was better in my opinion. I experienced no complications after, was pain free 4 days post op. As for a practitioner refusing to see you, I can't see that happening. Its against our ethics as health care professionals to refuse to treat someone. I have personally known 4 individuals who have been to Tijuana (in particular this hospital), and have had successful sleeve operations with no complications. They have all been recent, within the last 2 years.
    Don't let your nerves get the best of you! Best of luck on your journey

Gastric Sleeve Member Kelli1970's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanzo
    Last Activity
    03-19-2018 04:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Thank you so much for your reply! I am a bundle of nerves since all of the finalizations have been done. Learning a whole new life experience is tough at my age but your reply eased some of anxiety.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Dana
    Surgery date
    01/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-21-2018 07:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey! Dr. Almanza did my surgery. I had a great experience. Dr. Almanza was very nice and I trusted him. The hospital is new. It is very clean and the nurses were super nice. I had no complications at all, and I had no pain at all. I have 5 other friends that used him as well and they have not had any complications or problems. You have made the right decision. Good luck!

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Many people on here used Dr. Almanza and absolutely loved him and their experience.

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I have only heard very rare complaints from people who went to Mexico for surgery, and I've been on these boards for almost 5 years. Most were for complications that could just have easily have happened in the states. I would say 99% of the people were pleased with their Mexico experience!

That being said, I would be chicken to go to Mexico, and did self pay at the hospital a few miles from home. I would worry about the long trip home after major surgery. I was happy with the quick ride to my bed.

11. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    02/20/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr.Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-19-2018 09:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I am 2 days post op with Dr Almanza and will be leaving tomorrow for my trip home . I have had a good experience .
    The dr and all the nurses are great . The hospital is brand new and is very clean . I only stayed At the hospital the night
    of the surgery and then came to the hotel to be with my husband the following day . They have nurses on staff at the hotel
    at all times . I have made some great friends through this experience and today we all even felt good enough to go
    Shopping and take a trip to the ocean and walked the board walk a little . Everything has been very very organized and planned out
    and has made this a stress free procedure . You will be happy that you made this choice .

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member vegasneon's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    03-04-2018 11:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I think you are just getting cold feet as the time nears. I had surgery in Mexico in 2013 and I have never had one problem. I too feel I heal slowly and yet I did not feel that way about the small incisions from this surgery. I used a whole tube of Mederma on my scars and now I can only (barely) see one. I say a whole tube because I think it said to use it longer but I just did it until the one tube was over. I can't imagine a Dr not wanting to see you because they didn't do the surgery. Especially if you feel it might be an emergency. I was a little uncomfortable coming home after and I had to be in a car for 5 hours but it was ok. I was really tired for 3 weeks and I was 55 at the time. I had a different surgeon but I was very happy with the experience. I feel bad for people in my city who get the surgery and have to go home that day. I think the extra care they take in Tijuana makes all the difference.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Smiles,

Rebecca

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-20-2018 06:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Red face Re: Questions about Mexico surgeries

Quote Originally Posted by Kelli1970 View Post
    Hi everyone! I am new to this sight and would love some honest feedback. I have a gastric sleeve surgery scheduled for April 2nd in Tijuana Mexico with Dr. Mario Almanza and now I am having anxiety over my decision. Can anyone please give me the good and the bad on their experiences? I thought I had done enough research to be comfortable with everything but then I had someone tell me if there is any complication that a local doctor will not even see you. I am 48 years old and not as quick to heal and do not want to be making a mistake. Thank you for your time!

Dear Kelly, I am going to Mexico and having the surgery done on April 2, 2018. Please call me (909) 5602164. Dr. Almanza has done 16,000 surgeries so far. It is true that if you have problems a doctor out here in the US will not operate on you because Dr. Almanza did the surgery. I talked to three people and they told me that there surgery in Mexico was successful. Please call me or reply back.

from Tracy

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-20-2018 06:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times