Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Denied

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Denied

Many of us had no insurance at all, so if Medicaid works for you, consider yourself lucky.

I have insurance, It just has a strict no bariatric clause stuck in there. No fighting it for any reason, just no. I was self-pay in the states. Many here go to Mexico where it is much cheaper, but I was happy to pay more and be 5 minutes from home. (Or I should probably say I was blessed to be able to afford it.)

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Kristi7928's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kristi
    Surgery date
    09/27/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bradley Thaemert
    Last Activity
    04-17-2022 02:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times
    Was Thanked 134 Times in 78 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Many of us had no insurance at all, so if Medicaid works for you, consider yourself lucky.

I have insurance, It just has a strict no bariatric clause stuck in there. No fighting it for any reason, just no. I was self-pay in the states. Many here go to Mexico where it is much cheaper, but I was happy to pay more and be 5 minutes from home. (Or I should probably say I was blessed to be able to afford it.)
    Lucky? The reason I have Medicaid is because I was paralyzed at 15 from a rare virus. I got my degree and no one would hire me because I am disabled. I finally got a full time job with benefits when I was 37. Before that I was on SSI so I have NO savings. They have rules and regulations on how much money you can have. I have wounds on my feet that could lead to bilateral amputation. I could go on and on about the cost of paralysis. Lucky? Far from it. I'd gladly give up Medicaid to walk again.
    HW: 245.4 SW: 243 CW: 160 GW: 135

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh Kristi, your situation is singularly difficult. You've struggled very hard to accomplish so many things, and I know you are a fighter. You've done an astonishingly thorough job in getting all the paperwork together and filed to appeal and I am truly optimistic it will go through.

You rock, girl!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi7928 View Post
    Lucky? The reason I have Medicaid is because I was paralyzed at 15 from a rare virus. I got my degree and no one would hire me because I am disabled. I finally got a full time job with benefits when I was 37. Before that I was on SSI so I have NO savings. They have rules and regulations on how much money you can have. I have wounds on my feet that could lead to bilateral amputation. I could go on and on about the cost of paralysis. Lucky? Far from it. I'd gladly give up Medicaid to walk again.
    So sorry! I just meant people with bariatric insurance are lucky, I had no clue about your situation. I apologize. (Obviously I don't know the difference between Medicaid and Medicare.)

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    08/07/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. C Rodriguez Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I was denied by my insurance as well. I'm 46, BMI at 45 so I want to do this to get my health back. My Dr. referred me to Mexico Bariatric Surgery and I am booked and scheduled for VSG on August 7, 2018. I have talked to a lot of people that have went there and I am excited to go! You can Google them as I can't post their website yet!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Kristi
    Surgery date
    09/27/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bradley Thaemert
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times

The attorney for DSS called today and basically said I was going to lose and instead of waist everyone’s time to just do what Nikki says. He has a job to do. He did say that I fully believe you need the surgery, but you are going to lose. Said he’s never lost and I don’t meet all the qualifications. I need to find out if I’m going to keep getting denied if there is no scale for me to get on? And trying to convince these people my arms ARE weight bearing joints. My arms are my legs.

I felt bullied and uneasy. I left a message to see if I can post pone it. Still waiting for Nikki to either overturn the denial or grant my request for a peer to peer as my doc is ready. Also, left a message for Nikki to see where we are at for a peer to peer or a decision.

This weekend there is a disability expo and they will have attorneys that I am going to check out and get their opinion.

This whole thing is wearing me out.

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi7928 View Post
    The attorney for DSS called today and basically said I was going to lose and instead of waist everyone’s time to just do what Nikki says. He has a job to do. He did say that I fully believe you need the surgery, but you are going to lose. Said he’s never lost and I don’t meet all the qualifications. I need to find out if I’m going to keep getting denied if there is no scale for me to get on? And trying to convince these people my arms ARE weight bearing joints. My arms are my legs.

I felt bullied and uneasy. I left a message to see if I can post pone it. Still waiting for Nikki to either overturn the denial or grant my request for a peer to peer as my doc is ready. Also, left a message for Nikki to see where we are at for a peer to peer or a decision.

This weekend there is a disability expo and they will have attorneys that I am going to check out and get their opinion.

This whole thing is wearing me out.
    Kristi, your situation would wear the paint off a plaster Saint as my grandma said. You know my take on this; you are a treasure of a person and I'm in your corner any way you need. You know my prayers are with you for a green light for surgery. Don't let the "SOBs" wear you down. You are a warrior girl! Love ya@
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Name
    Kristi
    Surgery date
    09/27/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bradley Thaemert
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times

Was able to postpone the hearing and looks like my surgeon’s nurse found me a scale. We will borrow it from oncology.

A little breathing room to hopefully over turn this or the peer to peer to over turn this.

11. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    08/07/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. C Rodriguez Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Kristi, Sorry to read about your unfortunate but familiar post about being denied. As I mentioned prior, I had this happen to me as well but my doctor provided me with a "plan B" of going to Mexico. If you google "Mexico Bariatric Center" you will find the link for the website that I started everything through.

I'm curious of your situation and would like to share a way that I paid for mine and maybe you might have that option as well. Please PM me and I'll share how I have my total costs already paid! Keep fighting though and don't concede to not getting healthy!

Name
    Kristi
    Surgery date
    09/27/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bradley Thaemert
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times

Quote Originally Posted by scogra View Post
    Kristi, Sorry to read about your unfortunate but familiar post about being denied. As I mentioned prior, I had this happen to me as well but my doctor provided me with a "plan B" of going to Mexico. If you google "Mexico Bariatric Center" you will find the link for the website that I started everything through.

I'm curious of your situation and would like to share a way that I paid for mine and maybe you might have that option as well. Please PM me and I'll share how I have my total costs already paid! Keep fighting though and don't concede to not getting healthy!
    I sent you a PM a few days ago.

Name
    Kristi
    Surgery date
    09/27/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bradley Thaemert
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times

Now they want medical records for the last year about my shoulder therapy. I don't know how to convince these people my arms are my legs. Lucky for me she can get my primary right away and I put in a online medical request for the physical therapy. I have years of PT treatment on my shoulders - bout ready to ask for it again. I got attachable motor before the new year and that's been in the shop more than it's been on my chair.

Still doesn't want to give me the peer to peer review. Said they go by medical records.

I am talking to a disability attorney tomorrow.

Exhausted. Emotionally and physically.

Name
    Kristi
    Surgery date
    09/27/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bradley Thaemert
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times

Met with an attorney yesterday at the disability conference. I think I was the only person to utilize this wonderful tool at this event. Anyway - room full of lawyers and not a one is versed in Medicaid. It was a disability conference, 99% of these people are most likely on Medicaid. One guy stepped up to the plate, but basically was taking Medicaid's side. Know why - he works with the attorney going against me. Wonderful!

He said my biggest battle will probably be proving my arms/shoulders are weight bearing joints. Thanks to Annie's help I was able to pull up a few good articles and even though Nikki didn't want articles - these will probably get to her before my medical records, which thankfully I had PT on my shoulders for four months in the past year.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Rooting for you Kristi. I am so sorry to hear you are getting the run around.

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/07/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos-Kelly
    Last Activity
    08-26-2018 04:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times

Going to Mexico (Dr. Kelly) was a godsend ! Someone asked me just yesterday why on gods green earth I went to Mexico? My insurance would not cover as well. $5000 vs. $20,000 easy decision only regret I didn't do it years sooner.

Gastric Sleeve Member simplyseahorse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Motamarry
    Last Activity
    10-17-2019 08:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times
    Was Thanked 126 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 735 Times
    Blog Entries

I am in the same boat - denied by United Healthcare. Will be figuring out appeal but also looking at Mexico options. I can't give up yet.

I am a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist but I have never practiced in the areas of bariatrics or weight loss. I am happy to offer ideas or tips, but please follow your own Nutritionist's advice - she is the expert in the area.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast