Surgeon
    Dr. Katherine Lamond
    Last Activity
    06-27-2018 10:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default I NEED to do it, but I'm struggling with WANTING to do it

Hi all. Finally, finally met with my surgeon for the first time the other day and of course at my BMI she thinks I'll have no trouble being approved for surgery. I'm a freak of nature in that I have great numbers - blood sugar, cholesterol, triglycerides, blood pressure all normal. But I'm turning 50 soon and I'm sure that won't last at my weight!

I'm waiting to get scheduled with the nutritionist and have a list of things to do in the next couple months. I am alternating, like hourly, between being excited and thinking "NO WAY". Is this common or is this a red flag that I am not ready?

Thank you for your wisdom,
    DCGirl

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: I NEED to do it, but I'm struggling with WANTING to do it

I was a healthy fat person too, walked all the time, skied, great blood pressure, no real issues. I do have a high risk for heart disease in my family, so that might count. I think starting out healthy will make surgery and recovery much easier, at least that was true for me. I had no problems. None. Never even threw up. Just lost weight.

Going from obese to a healthy weight has been priceless. I have more energy, I feel better, I look better (younger), I'm more confident, I could go on and on. Living as a fat person was depressing. Living as a regular sized person is beyond fun!

And the clothes shopping, don't even get me started on how much fun that is.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Jaime
    Surgery date
    06/25/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ungson
    Last Activity
    05-14-2019 04:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 82 Times
    Was Thanked 183 Times in 124 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times
    Blog Entries

I think there is safety in having what we already know. The unexpected and the drastic change is really hard to get your head around. You do have to WANT it because it isn't easy. It is one of the hardest things I have ever done, but it is also the best thing I have ever done. It required a lot of dedication, effort, and willingness to change. You might want to consider seeing a counselor. I found that I had a lot of issues in my head that stood in my way. Once I worked through those and became aware of some of my food issues I felt way more confident going into the process. I do know people that have not been successful though because they expected a miracle and were not invested in their health or making permanent change. You might want to ask yourself the hard questions. Why are you considering this? What do you hope it will do for you? How hard are you willing to work? Is this what is best?
    Not trying to be a downer...just trying to give some insight.

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Am I the only person who thinks this is one of the easiest things I have ever done? Gaining and losing the same weight over and over again was hard. Being fat was hard. The sleeve was not, it was fun! (Now I had no complications, so if you did I'm sorry, that would not have been easy.) I compare the journey to having a baby, a little pain for a moment that you forget about almost immediately because of the amazing, wonderful result.

From Mrs. Positive Attitude

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

Hey neighbor! You've picked the same surgeon I used. She's fabulous. Happy to talk to you if you want. I'm 64 and as my PCP said I was the healthiest obese person he knew. All the pre-op testing confirmed it until I did my cardiac stress test. The cardiologist found that my BP was normal but when I worked out it rose & didn't recover quickly enough. The kind of thing that could have been a problem since I was still working out even at my highest weight. So they put me on BP meds and I'll have a follow up appt. next week (3mos) to see if all is well and I can discontinue the meds.

My advice is to go forward with all of the checklist items they gave you. You can change your mind until the very end and frankly, I learned so much from the testing & nutrition classes that I moved from skeptical to "I want it now!" Also, go to their support group & info meetings. Some are better than others but you will meet others going through the same emotions. Dr. L is such a great surgeon. I had almost no pain post op (she gives you pain meds internally that last 2-3 days) and she really is a top surgeon in the field. Happy to tell you more if you message me.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Jaime
    Surgery date
    06/25/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ungson
    Last Activity
    05-14-2019 04:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 82 Times
    Was Thanked 183 Times in 124 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times
    Blog Entries

oh gosh! I hope you don't think I was being negative! I just wanted to give a viewpoint. It really was the best thing I have ever done for MYSELF. I am a new person, and my life has changed. I am going skydiving soon. I went parasailing last August....I don't care if I have to sit in the middle seat on a plane. People don't stare at me anymore. I shop...a lot, in the normal section. It is liberating. It is worth all of the hard work and changes. If I had to do it again I would have done it way sooner so I could have enjoyed my youth a bit more.
    Good luck!

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/18/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rohit A Patel
    Last Activity
    06-22-2018 09:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    I was a healthy fat person too, walked all the time, skied, great blood pressure, no real issues. I do have a high risk for heart disease in my family, so that might count. I think starting out healthy will make surgery and recovery much easier, at least that was true for me. I had no problems. None. Never even threw up. Just lost weight.

Going from obese to a healthy weight has been priceless. I have more energy, I feel better, I look better (younger), I'm more confident, I could go on and on. Living as a fat person was depressing. Living as a regular sized person is beyond fun!

And the clothes shopping, don't even get me started on how much fun that is.
    oh no, not the clothes shopping.. I am so excited to finally be able to wear the stuff I WANT!!!!

Starting consult weight Nov 2017: 262

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Am I the only person who thinks this is one of the easiest things I have ever done? Gaining and losing the same weight over and over again was hard. Being fat was hard. The sleeve was not, it was fun! (Now I had no complications, so if you did I'm sorry, that would not have been easy.) I compare the journey to having a baby, a little pain for a moment that you forget about almost immediately because of the amazing, wonderful result.

From Mrs. Positive Attitude
    Oh gawd I'm with you Sraebaer, it has been the very easiest and fun thing! I worked so hard to get the weight off before and now I work hard (training) and get excellent results. SO GOOD!!! :-)

14. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by jaimaroo View Post
    oh gosh! I hope you don't think I was being negative! I just wanted to give a viewpoint. It really was the best thing I have ever done for MYSELF. I am a new person, and my life has changed. I am going skydiving soon. I went parasailing last August....I don't care if I have to sit in the middle seat on a plane. People don't stare at me anymore. I shop...a lot, in the normal section. It is liberating. It is worth all of the hard work and changes. If I had to do it again I would have done it way sooner so I could have enjoyed my youth a bit more.
    Good luck!
    No way! We just all have different experiences. I was lucky to have no complications. Skydiving? AMAZING!

Name
    Violet
    Surgery date
    03/12/2018
    Surgeon
    A California surgeon
    Last Activity
    12-07-2023 12:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 37 Times

I think being uneasy about the surgery is totally normal, and I'd be more worried if you were all 'La la la la la, no problem.' The surgery is a big deal and you're showing that you understand that!

- My easy low-calorie recipes for weight loss
    - What having gastric sleeve surgery is like

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I thought about sleeve surgery for years before making my consult. Kept thinking surely I could do it without surgery. Have some success only to regain. My sister was sleeved 5 years before me and I saw how successful she was and I STILL debated with the idea of doing it. When I finally had my first consult, I realized it was for me. My surgeon was amazing and I am so very happy I FINALLY did what I should have done YEARS earlier. I think of the time I wasted and it is my one regret is that I did wait SO LONG to do it.

Gastric Sleeve Member FattyGirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/08/2018
    Surgeon
    Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-31-2018 05:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

It's been easy for me too! I am only 6 weeks out and I thought it would be horrible. I have friends who throw up everyday. I have never thrown up. I just weigh my food , so I won't overeat and I am ok. It's fun because my clothes are too big and I keep losing weight. And you are right...I have tried every diet in the book, exercised and damn near starved myself and didn't lose weight....that was not fun. Now I lose weight and its been worth it.

19. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by FattyGirl View Post
    It's been easy for me too! I am only 6 weeks out and I thought it would be horrible. I have friends who throw up everyday. I have never thrown up. I just weigh my food , so I won't overeat and I am ok. It's fun because my clothes are too big and I keep losing weight. And you are right...I have tried every diet in the book, exercised and damn near starved myself and didn't lose weight....that was not fun. Now I lose weight and its been worth it.
    You are going to have to change your name, and soon!

21. Said thanks:

Name
    Amanda
    Surgery date
    10/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Eagan
    Last Activity
    11-27-2020 12:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 178 Times in 142 Posts

I think it's normal to waffle back and forth. Getting the sleeve was something I thought about for a year. After I made the decision to go ahead with surgery, it was almost a year long process. At the time, I was frustrated that I would have to wait so long, but I'm glad for it in that I did a lot of research, did a lot of soul searching, met with a therapist every month, and hung out on this board to read peoples' experiences.

Best thing I ever did. I haven't had any issues. I'm four months outs and have lost almost 50 lbs. On my 6 month pre-diet? I only lost 12 in 6 months.

I'm able to move better, I'm off all my diabetes meds, exercising is easier, I no longer worry about fitting into booths, seats, airplanes, etc. I feel like I can live my life without those extra pesky worries that used to plague me due to my size.

23. Said thanks:

DHB

Gastric Sleeve Member FattyGirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/08/2018
    Surgeon
    Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-31-2018 05:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts