Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Are there things that you will never be able to eat again?

Quote Originally Posted by pbg1974 View Post
    As someone that is 8 years post op & recently resleeved (due to my original sleeve being a little too big) I’m here to tell you that you’ll be fully capable of eating whatever you want within 2 years. Although I’ve learned that I developed a gluten sensitivity following my 2009 VSG. However that sensitivity doesn’t hinder my ability to crave or indulge on higher carb/higher calorie/slider foods.

With that said, I strongly recommend ALL “newbies” to take full advantage of your tool now!! You have approximately an 18 months honeymoon period of “effortless” weight loss. So during that time yes you’re less likely to experience cravings & hunger pangs — but that doesn’t last forever & THEY WILL RETURN!! This surgery only (temporarily) limits your ability to consume larger quantities, not necessarily WHAT you can eat.

(About me: I lost approximately 170 lbs in 12 months, I worked out twice a day & I was on top of the world. Now fast forward to 7 years post op & a 70 lb regain, I learned I graze eat when under stress. So although I wasn’t eating horribly, I was taking in too many calories by continuously “snacking” all day vs eating 3 full meals. I wanted to share this because I don’t want people to think that I needed a revision due to gross negligence, I needed it because: 1) my sleeve was too big & 2) because I never fully learned new coping skills when it came to those stressors known as life ������)

As someone that has traveled down this road before, I wish I’d known then what I know now. And I’d also advise you to start looking for recipe alternatives to some of your favorite meals or food items vs tempting fate & trying to eat those same foods that landed us all in this place.

I hope sharing my experience helped & didn’t come across as long winded or preachy.
    Your advice is accurate, in the beginning you can practically lose weight without even trying. Later it's back to making a permanant lifestyle change. I can now eat anything and get hungry like a regular person. But I choose to eat healthy, never overeat (I'm sure my stomach is bigger now too!), and exercise. It has become habit. I weigh myself daily so there are no surprises. I know it would be extremely easy to regain it all if I'm not careful.

Sorry it took you 70 pounds to realize something was wrong. Didn't you have to start buying new clothes? Did you stay off the scale? I always wonder when people have the surgery a second time how they think things will be different. Life will still be stressful and you will still have to cope. Anyway - good luck! (And is your insurance paying for this twice?)

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Amanda
    Surgery date
    10/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher Eagan
    Last Activity
    11-27-2020 12:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 178 Times in 142 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I’m 4 months out, and can eat anything. The only thing that bothers me a bit is tough/dry meat.

Gastric Sleeve Member SomeGuyJeff's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/20/2015
    Last Activity
    02-23-2018 03:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 291 Times
    Was Thanked 418 Times in 268 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 110 Times

almost 3 years for me....

i **can** eat about whatever i want but theres some thing i no longer like. steak is one. i used to love a good steak. but red meat seems to not sit well with me. i love a good steak every now and then, but i find myself moving towards the seafood options at the nice restaurants lately.

milk. i used to drink it by the gallon almost. now, it just doesn't sit as well with me.

salad - used to love them, now i like the toppings more than the greens.

cereal - this always sounds good to me. when someone mentions comfort food to me, i think lucky charms - lol. now, i couldn't do cereal with milk - though i have done some as a dry snack, though not very often.

Gastric Sleeve Member vegasneon's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    03-04-2018 11:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I am 4 1/2 years out. I can eat anything but if I overindulge in something heavy with fat like ice cream I usually feel like crap. However I CAN eat anything. I still can't drink for at least 30 minutes after eating without getting really nauseous but I'm so used to that I don't care. I couldn't drink soda for probably a year but now I only have maybe 3 a year and they go down fine. I'm not a great poster child for this surgery because I still haven't reached goal and yet I feel it is still a success because of all the good changes I had regardless.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Smiles,

Rebecca