Name
    Kim
    Last Activity
    02-19-2018 04:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Smile On the verge of making a life changing decision.... in Arkansas

Hello.... I am posting hesitantly, I have not yet had the procedure. I have made the decision to have a procedure and have been researching thoroughly, and I believe the sleeve is for me. A friend was trying to talk me into the lap band, but holy smokes, after being on a forum for the lap band, I ran as fast as I could. SO many complaints and bad stories.

I'm 50 years old. I graduated high school at 135 5'8", extremely athletic (bball, volleyball and swimteam), but when I went to college, all that stopped. I dropped out of college 2 years in, got married, had 2 kids 4 years apart, then the marriage went to hell. 23 years of marriage, the last 5 years a nightmare, years of gaining and not losing, then yo yo dieting. Tried WW over and over again, Medifast twice (nightmare), at 45 post divorce I got on the scale and just cried. I had not weighed in years. Tipped the scales at 399. A friend turned me on to Beach Body 21 Day Fix. I lost 90 lbs in a year, hit a plateau. Then my youngest daughter graduated high school, I was an empty nester, It killed me, I have always loved being a mom. Moving twice since divorce, then 4 months ago I had to put my precious dog to sleep, it sent me into a tail spin. I gained 40 back from losing the 90, I'm at 350. Cruising up the scales again. I got up one day about 2 weeks ago and decided on surgery. It will be self pay for me, it is an exclusion with my dang insurance. I look at it like this, it is either investing in me, or becoming a burden to my 2 daughters and dying an early death. I'm worth it. I want a life. I want a good quality of life. I know you guys have repeated your stories over and over, but if any of you have any words of encouragement, I would greatly appreciate it.

So glad I found this group.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: On the verge of making a life changing decision.... in Arkansas

Kim, Welcome! You've been through the mill love. Life is hard work sometimes right?!
    I think a sleeve sounds like an excellent idea for you. My story is that I lost 40kg on my own but still had a good 30kg to lose and just couldn't get it off despite healthy eating and exercise. To have the sleeve surgery was the best decision i have ever made. It has just totally don the trick for me and I have loved it. I'm now only 9 kilos away from goal weight and I am so happy I went for it. Most surgeons in Australia do not do lapbands anymore because of the complications.
    In terms of recovery, look it wasn't a walk in the park but was fine. The worst thing was the tirdness for the first 6 weeks but I embraced that and just took to my bed a lot!
    My cholesterol went from 8.2 to 5.2 in 5 weeks and I've just had my bloods done again today so i'm looking forward to the results. My sugars are fine and overall I am just so happy and wish I had done this years ago.
    Sounds like a good time in life to concentrate on you.
    Very best wishes

Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ewing
    Last Activity
    10-10-2018 06:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 78 Times
    Was Thanked 194 Times in 158 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 259 Times

Welcome and make this the year of you! Blessings!

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm 3.5 years post-op. Lost over 100 pounds and maintained the weight loss ever since.

Read my stories (first three "surgiversaries") at the links found at the bottom of my signature block below.

Welcome!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    Brenda
    Surgery date
    04/24/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alvarez
    Last Activity
    07-04-2019 06:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Kim, I've not been sleeved yet either, but am happy to find a group. You have had it hard the last few years and it sounds like you are ready to put some real time into you and your health. I can relate to that.. I think it's wonderful to make such a positive decision and change. I agree about the lap band, but, i also know of a few people who had success so, it really is a personal opinion. I am happy with my decision, although I have no idea when I can have it. I've met a Dr. and next comes the nutritionist after that a GP to run tests all over a years time. All the while exercising and eating right/small portions - protein heavy. Good luck with your Journey. Good thoughts your way.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome Kim! YES!!! That is exactly right. Invest in you because you are WORTH it! I am excited that you have come to this decision. And I agree about the lap band. I am truly shocked that they even still do the procedure with all the issues with it post op. There are even lots of band to sleeve conversions on here.

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kim
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Edie,
    Thank you so much for your story and replying!! I appreciate you taking the time to do so. Very inspiring, and so good to hear of your success. So nice to hear from others that are going through what I will go through. I'm a little nervous, not going to lie, but it has taken me a long time to get to the realization that I am worth doing this. Good luck to you and I look forward to talking to you again!

��KIm

10. Said thanks:

Name
    Kim
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Christie,
    Thanks so much for the encouragement and support!! Your enthusiasm is infectious, I love it!! I have a friend who has 3 sisters. They all 4 had the lap band done within 5 years. She tried to talk me into it and had me convinced until I started doing research, and I said no way. Hers was one of the very FEW success stories I read about. I appreciate your reply and look forward to talking to you again soon. Many congratulations on your success and keep up the good work!! Thank you!!

��KimK

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Welcome, and you are smart to "just say no" to the Lapland. My surgeon stopped Lapland surgery a few years ago. (It was an option when I had my surgery.) Too many problems.

For me the sleeve was nothing short of a miracle. Beyond my wildest dreams! I'm healthy, happy, and regular-sized.

Best of luck to you. I too was self-pay, but looked at it as cheaper than a car, and I am worth much more than a car. Sometimes you have to just do something for you, and this is life-changing.

(Oh and it's WAY cheaper than the bathroom remodel we are in the middle of!!)

Name
    Kim
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Bleeve,
    Hello! Glad to meet somebody who also has yet to have it done. I as well had a friend who has had the lap band done, a family of 4 sisters. All 4 had done, 3 out of 4 have been successful and kept the weight off. When I started researching, there just seemed to be so many problems with the lap band. I'm looking forward to talking to you further, especially since we will be journeying together through this!! Thank you so much for replying and good luck to you..

��KImK