Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Looking for scientific articles about maintenance calories

I am doing research about the amount of calories we are supposed to consume in maintenance.
    Some dietary guidlines say around 1000-1200 cals per day, others say 1500 cals per day, etc, etc.
    I am currently maintaining at around 1400 calories.
    That may change in time, I will see.
    But this caloric intake would be considered a "diet" pre-op to just loose weight, based on the theory: calorie in- calorie out.

What I am looking for specifically, is a reason, why we can maintain with far less calories, than a non-wls person.
    I would like to learn more about this stuff.
    It has to do with a new set point, but how does this work?
    How do our metabolisms change with this surgery and why?

It seems to me there are not so many doctors/nutricionists who know the answer to this question.
    A calorie is not a calorie, I think we all can agree on that.
    Loosing and maintaining is based on so much more than that.
    I am currently reading a lot of articles, written by this dr: http://www.drsharma.ca/
    Very interesting stuff.

I know there are a lot of research people like me, here on this board.
    Did you find anything that will shed some light to this matter?
    Any help and thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for scientific articles about maintenance calories

I don't know of any research that I trust on this subject. I know from reading many, many thousands of posts on this subject that there is not "typical" maintenance calorie budget that works for everyone. And I also suspect / am pretty sure / believe that a lot of people's self-reports about how many calories they eat daily are complete and utter bullshit. They're bullshitting themselves and they're bullshitting everyone else.

It's certainly NOT been MY experience that I can maintain my weight post-WLS (3.5 years afterward) on fewer calories than people who haven't had WLS.

I average 1700-1850 calories/day. I'm 72 years old. I exercise 5-6 days a week. I do my own housework and, spring/summer/fall maintain our lawn and property.

I don't eat low-carb. I eat a wide array of nutritious foods from all the so-called food groups. I haven't eliminated "treat foods," but I don't eat as many of them as I used to eat pre-op. In short, I eat healthy, and I enjoy food tremendously.

You probably already know I weigh daily, plan and track my daily menus in My Fitness Pal, and regularly measure some foods that might "get away from me" if I didn't keep a tighter rein on how much of those foods I eat. Those behaviors are not particularly common to all WLS patients, but they're not particularly uncommon for WLS patients who maintain their weight long-term.

Having said all of this, I do realize that some people can't eat as much as I can. I also know people who have had WLS who eat even more than I do and maintain their weight.

BTW, I completely agree with you that not all calories are equal. After 3.5 years of tracking my daily calories (and other macronutrients) and weight I have seen that truth emerge in the data I collect about myself. One other thing I've noticed is that the more consistently I maintain my weight, i.e., weigh pretty much the same thing day after day, week after week, the harder it is to gain weight. I hypothesize from this that my body is able to build new set points for itself.

Bottom line: It ain't a diet, folks. It's a lifestyle.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

Thanks for the question, DutchSleeve. I'm fascinated by this as well. I've been reading that most women experience a drop in metabolic rate after menopause, even if all other things remain equal. (Same calorie intake & exercise.) It seems to have to do with the drop in estrogen. I've also learned that as you lose fat, you lose estrogen (or testosterone). Here's an article about how loss of weight impacts estrogen (and therefore drops breast cancer risk): http://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/20120530 So it seems that as we lose fat, we lose some of that estrogen. It's also tied in to cortisol and insulin. Apparently, it's very common for women to lose weight first in the waist up and continue to store fat in the hips and thighs. (Unfortunately, I am experiencing this.) If you research estrogen and cortisol you'll find more info on this. My take away is that some of this has to do with what protein you eat as well as making sure you don't eat too few carbs. I'm still making the connections, but my hypothesis is that we may be able to influence the amount of calories we can eat without gaining by finding the optimum combination of protein and carbs as well as building more muscle. There's much more to this as well, so as I continue my research I'll let you know what I find.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Ann I freaking LOVE you!!! Have I told you that lately doll? You are such a straight shooter and I love that! I totally agree with all that you said. And I also agree that there is no cookie cutter approach or magic number. Even during the weight loss phase people lose by doing different things. We can only share our experiences of what worked for us....but that does not guarantee success for another. I am not a tracker. I have admitted that from the get go. I find it too tedious for me. That does not mean that I don't think about what I am putting in my mouth. My whole approach has been about intuitive eating and giving my body what it needs. I also weigh myself daily. It is how I maintain and adjust when I need to. I work out regularly and enjoy my sleeved life. I am a happier and healthier version of myself. And I have also decided that throughout this process I am not going to overthink anything. I am going to see what works for me and continue to do it. If I see that something is not working, I will just tweak my approach. But my tried and true rule of thumb is weigh daily and react when necessary. Eat mindfully and healthily, do not deprive myself, exercise, take my vitamins, hydrate, and enjoy life!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Aussie Girl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/22/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    08-09-2018 03:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 110 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 73 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 87 Times

I love it that there are different approaches to making this work, I especially love there is no hard and fast rules - this means we won't be set up to fail but can adapt what will truly work for each of us.

Thank you for keeping it real girls xxxx

Highest Weight 128 kg
    Lap Band SW 121 kg
    Sleeve consult 126 kg
    Sleeve SW 118 kg

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

My only approach to maintenance is to weigh myself every day to avoid any surprises. Of course eating healthy and exercise helps! I am not as detailed as others, I have never counted calories. It's fun to see how all these different approaches work; your only job is to find what works for you.

I did go back to Weight Watchers so use their system of tracking which helped me lose the 5 pounds I gained after an injury plus a little more. I still go as it's really fun, and right by my house. I like the accountability. I go for free as I was a lifetime member back in the day of phen-phen. Their program has changed to exactly how we should be eating with a sleeve. I get more support there than from my bariatric support group, which I'm done with. They just sit around whining. I have nothing to whine about!!

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Whining, especially the kind that never changes ... ugh!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89