Dr. Troy Houseworth
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 03:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 158 Times
    Was Thanked 128 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Talking Excited Pre-Sleever!

Hi All!
    I'm Lisa, 46 y/o been overweight all my life. I say I went from a girls size 14 to a women's 14 and kept going. I was a women's 14 all through HS, almost 30 years ago. For me, I don't know what it feels like to be 'normal' weight and it's been FOREVER since I shopped in a non-Plus store/section.
    I've considered surgery off and on over the last few years, partly because I work in an OR of a hospital that does a lot of bariatric surgery. A little over a year ago, though my family doctor brought up the idea of the sleeve with me. I love my doctor and trust him implicitly....we had a very real conversation about weight, health, genetics (he treats most of my immediate family) and the challenges of losing on your own. We agreed that based on my genetics, there may only be so much I could do on my own, but I still tried.
    During the last 16 months, I've dropped from my highest weight of 310# to current 261# - yes, one stinking pound shy of 50!!
    The main thing I've learned during this time though is how to modify my behavior; something surgery cannot do. I've cut out added-sugar, increased protein, reduced carbs, learned what it feels like to be full, learned to say 'no' if I'm not hungry.
    The fact is that my father died at 70 from obesity-related illness and that is not the future I want for me. I'm already 'pre-diabetic' and take a small dose of meds for elevated blood pressure. That's enough of a wake-up call for me to do something that will lead to a lifestyle that is healthier, including working out; which some days I hate, but I know its important and a part of a healthy lifestyle.
    I've been through a lot of the emotions in making this decision; fear, uncertainty, shame, and finally now EXCITEMENT! I've completed all of my insurance requirements and am waiting for the surgeon's office to get approval and I can set my surgery date; I'm shooting for April. I have an excellent surgeon and while it's a bit weird that I'll have my surgery where I work, it also means I know the people who will be taking care of me and trust them and their skills. I know I will be in good hands. For obvious reasons, it will be hard to keep this 'quiet' at work. But in my personal life, only certain people that I know really care are privy to me having this surgery. It already took a lot of explaining for some of them; but once they saw I had done my homework and this was not some decision on a whim, they are very supportive.
    I am still a little nervous, but excited about my future.
    Thanks for taking the time to read....I've been poking around here a bit and figured its time I say hello!

HW 2016=310
    SW 5/7/18= 274

4 weeks=241.6
    8 weeks=225.0
    12 weeks=214.8
    16 weeks=205.6
    20 weeks=198.6
    24 weeks=193.2

6 Mos check-up w/Surgeon: 11/13/2018=189
    28 weeks=187
    32 weeks=181.2
    36 weeks=174
    39 weeks + 2 days=169.8 = GOAL!

40 weeks=168
    44 weeks=163
    48 weeks=160.4
    51 weeks; day of 1-yr appt w/surgeon=159.4
    54 weeks=154

2. The following 19 users said welcome MsLisa71 to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Marsha
    Surgery date
    04/20/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-13-2018 12:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Excited Pre-Sleever!

I have similar story in that i have been overweight all my life. My mom said at 6 months i was wearing 24 months clothing. I have PCOS and pre-diabetic as well. I am aiming for surgery in April. excited and nevous

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Excited Pre-Sleever!

Hi Lisa!! Welcome and congrats on your decision. I hope you get your approval and date soon. I went through insurance and know the wait is excruciating. You just want to hurry up and get on with it! Truth is when you get that approval it is like winning the lottery! Good luck!

7. Said thanks: