Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    02-11-2018 06:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default My journey, my struggle

In 2008 I had a lap band which worked well for me. I went from 300+ lbs to 230 lbs. In 2015, during my yearly visit to the Bariatric Center, I learned that my lap band had “slipped” and would not maintain position when deflated and re-inflated. I had my lap band removed and converted to gastric sleeve in 12/15. During the deflation and re-inflation cycles my weight went up to 250. I was happy with the gastric sleeve surgery. My weight went down gradually back into the 230 pound range. About 1 year ago, I began gaining weight. Currently, I am back to the 250 pound range. I am eating better than ever and I am exercising three times a week, 40 minutes of cardio as well as strengthening. I started working with a personal trainer two months ago who taught me an exercise routine with a TRX suspension system. I am having diarrhea on a daily basis regardless of what I eat. I have tried taking Metamucil to try and absorb some of the liquid in my stool and I have had limited success. I have not seen a gastroenterologist but I am considering it. I have my yearly visit at the Bariatric Center coming up in June. I did not mention that I am 68 years old. My thyroid was checked about six months ago when I started complaining about an increase in depression and anxiety. My T4 and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone were low normal. When I saw my primary care doctor I told her about my weight gain, exercise and concern that I am unable to lose weight she said it is “my age”. She claims that she hears this complaint from women over 60 all the time. My spouse had gastric sleeve surgery about a year and a half ago and has lost almost 100 pounds. I am happy for her but.......she eats more than I do and doesn’t exercise at all. She is 4 years younger than me. So, this is what as led me to this forum. I hope there are other folks out there sharing my struggle.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: My journey, my struggle

Are you eating how a sleeved person should be eating? Protein first, then veggies, then a small amount of good carbs if room? I'm over 60 and have maintained my weight for almost 4 years now. I have to be careful to not only exercise but eat right. I weigh myself daily, so there are no surprises. It is something I will always have to watch as I can eat so much more now than even a year after surgery.

That being said I do not have the medical issues you do, but I still don't think age is an excuse for weight gain. Medications could be, or illnesses, but not age.

Good luck getting back on track!

4. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ewing
    Last Activity
    10-10-2018 06:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 78 Times
    Was Thanked 194 Times in 158 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 259 Times

Metamucil fiber will make you go. I suggest you move your doctors appt. up.

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think this is something to discuss further with the doctor as changes in bowel habits shouldnt be ignored, especially in the over 60s. I would persue some investigations to be clear you are well and then look at your diet, exercise and all that shamoz. Hope all turns out well.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

What they all said ^^^^.

And tell your doctor I'm 72 years old. Have been sleeved 3.5 years now. And I'm maintaining a 100+ pound loss. I follow closely the rules I learned when losing weight -- protein (about 100 grams/day), protein first, hydration, supplements, daily exercise, ongoing therapy for "head" (not sleeve) issues, etc. I also weigh daily and continue to plan and track my food/drink intake daily. I've gradually added more and more veggies and fruits and have been eating 8/day since last August.

Sounds like you definitely need some *informed* medical care and advice. Frankly, your PCP sounds lazy and/or ignorant to me.

Best wishes. And welcome!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Carla
    Surgery date
    01/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jay Suggs
    Last Activity
    09-17-2018 08:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 100 Times
    Was Thanked 90 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 243 Times

Hey I’m sorry to hear that you’re struggling. I’ve seen several lap band patients go to sleeve patients and they normally don’t have as good of results as people who started out with sleeve. They usually suggest lap band patients who need a revision surgery to to the RNY gastric bypass. I personally don’t like the gastric bypass due to what I’ve seen in my patients over 15 years (vitamin troubles). However, I have seen lap band revision patients who go to sleeve do well over a longer period of time. How long have you been sleeved? One woman I personally know was a lap band patient and had sleeve. What I lost in a short amount of time had taken her over a year, simply because she had the lap band first. Another girl I know (also a previous lap band patient) lost more inches than she did actual weight. Strange I know. Did your bariatric surgeon discuss RNY with you when you needed a revision?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

No, there was no discussion of RNY, I think due to my age.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

How on earth do you manage to consume 100 gms of protein a day! That is amazing. I started weighing daily about two months ago. If I have a pound or two of weight loss, I find that those pounds come back in a couple of days regardless of what I eat.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Actually, Metamucil which is psyllium, works both ways. It absorbs water like a sponge so if you are constipated it is important to drink enough water to “bulk up” your stool and allow it to pass. If you have watery stool, the Metamucil helps to absorb the extra water in your GI tract to help the body “form” a stool. I learned this from a dietician when I was still working in a hospital. I am a retired RN.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

But you still haven't said what you are eating.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

We are in Florida until the end of April so my diet is a little different as it is warmer than Rochester, NY. For breakfast I have cold cereal, Kashi which has 13 gms of protein per serving with 1/2 c low fat milk. At lunch, a smoothie that has 8 oz. container of non fat plain yogurt and I add frozen fruit, usually blueberries and 1/2 banana with enough milk to make it drinkable. Around 3 - 4 pm I have some nuts, almonds or walnuts 10-12 nuts as a snack. Dinner varies depending on what we are eating. Last night we had a friend over and had taco salad, so romaine, cherry tomatoes, avocado, black beans and I had a 1/4 c of ground beef on mine. Some crumbled baked taco chips, maybe another 1/4 c with dressing of salsa and low fat sour cream. Before bed, I try to have either some more nuts, a low fat cheese stick or a hard boiled egg. I use Fitness Pal on line to write down my food. They have me at 1600 calories per day and I hardly ever go over unless we go out to eat and I share a dessert with my spouse. On days that I exercise I am closer to 1200 calories. I sometimes get the message from the app that I am not eating enough.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Based on what you say you are eating and your exercise habits, I think that you are not getting enough protein and not eating enough. I also can tell you that when you are trying to lose you shouldn't have a lot of fruit. It is natural sugar but still sugar. Sounds like you are a bit carb heavy. I would also suggest that instead of nuts you try to eat some solid form of protein like chicken, tuna, fish, beef etc.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and reply

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I haven't eaten cereal since being sleeved over 4 years ago. It's always 2 eggs for breakfast. Maybe try to bump up your protein?

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tolynnek View Post
    How on earth do you manage to consume 100 gms of protein a day! That is amazing. I started weighing daily about two months ago. If I have a pound or two of weight loss, I find that those pounds come back in a couple of days regardless of what I eat.
    Here's what my food looked like yesterday. Yesterday's 94 grams of protein came from one protein drink at breakfast, skim milk, full-fat cheese, a veggie burger, some Cuban food, yogurt, even some veggies and random treats. FYI, my protein grams the two days before yesterday were 96 and 102.

2-12-2018 MFP.PNG

A lot of people refuse to track their foods. But I don't know of another way to educate yourself about what you're actually eating. Knowledge is power. And ignorance is bliss, which often leads to surprises and frustration.

So I'll ask again -- what and how much are you eating in a typical day? Like yesterday? Or the day before?

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89