Surgeon
    Dr. Boorse
    Last Activity
    01-14-2021 06:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 135 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 117 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 113 Times

Default OMGOODNESS,,,,,I did it

After my tummy tuck was denied twice by insurance, I realized that the body part that bothered me the most was my arms. At the gym I couldn't stand watching that skin swing back and forth like it had a life of its own. I couldn't wear the clothing I wanted to and I finally decided to reward myself for all the hard work I had put into getting healthy. I've maintained my weight loss, paid it forward by attending group meetings, worked out at the gym for 18 months in an effort to tone up; it was my time. I booked my surgery with an very experienced board certified plastics and reconstructive surgeon. He works well with my bariatric surgeon. I had my sleeve done on Sept 24, 2014. I didn't even try to get this covered by insurance because it was truly cosmetic, not one medical reason to have it done. My surgery was on Dec 21 and I am now 4 weeks post op. It is not for the faint of heart. The recovery is a bit**h. He did an extended brachioplasty which means he cut from my elbows to under my breasts. He removed skin, lipo'd and shaped my arms and sides, no more bra spillage!!! I have hundred of internal stitches that are still healing. The entire healing process you MUST wear compression garments which I purchased on line for people who had lymphoma or breast surgery. My incisions were glued shut. For the first two weeks I walked around like a duck, not being able to put my arms down. I slept in a recliner. Pain was minimal, but the healing sensations are unexplainable. All your nerve endings have to be grow back. Skin is so sensitive to touch, temperature etc. I called it having the heebie jeebies up and down my arms. The swelling is now starting to slow down. I still wear compression since it aides in the healing process and actually feels better. At night it is a must or you wake up swollen. I had to have drains on both sides to minimize swelling and prevent infection. They came out in 14 days.
    On Thursday it will be 5 weeks. All the glue is gone and I am now able to massage my scars to minimize the scar tissue. The scars will practically disappear within a year. Already on my sides the lines are so fine. I am still swollen but not as much. The healing process can take up to a year. In 6 months you have a better idea what the final result will be. I just started going back to the gym, but am not using weights for arm exercises. I do attend yoga, Zumba and belly robics (lol but its fun). I can now massage the scar tissue with either cocoa butter or Medeerma. It does not hurt at all. I am religious about doing the exercises to gain back full mobility. After surgery you are very tight and must stretch the skin. The scar tissue in the arm pit area is the worst. I use spray deodorant.
    If anyone wants to have this surgery be very cautious who you pick as a surgeon. If they are not board certified plastic surgeons the end result can be dreadfull. As a self pay the fees are much less than if you submit to insurance (isn't that a kicker). I am going to post to before and after photo's because I was helped by others sharing their photo's. So here goes. The last two pictures are the before and the first three are the after. The first picture is from today. I hope this helps someone to decide if this is right for them.
    Attached Images

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: OMGOODNESS,,,,,I did it

Wow. That looks pretty good. Definitely post some pictures down the road to see the final results.

Gastric Sleeve Member Luv49ers19's Avatar
    Name
    Cody
    Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Daniel Leslie
    Last Activity
    09-27-2018 08:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 760 Times
    Was Thanked 547 Times in 375 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 275 Times
    Blog Entries

Good for you!!! Looks so much better already.
    Hw: 260
    Sw: 260 10/23/16
    Weight at time of sleeve 209 (-51)
    Sleeve date 5/23/17
    1 month:187 (-22)
    2 month:178 (-9)
    3 month:172 (-6)
    4 month:162 (-10)
    5 month:150 (-12) (10/28/17) 6 month goal!!!!
    6 month: 143 (-7)
    7 month: 136 (-7)
    8 month: 131 (-5) made goal weight 130 (2/8/2017)
    9 month: 125 (-6)
    10 month: 120 (-5)
    11 month: 115 (-5)
    1 year: 114 (-1)
    16 months: 120 (+6)

Name
    Janice
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Boorse
    Last Activity
    01-14-2021 06:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 135 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 117 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 113 Times

Those pictures look terrible compared to what I really look like. My arms look fantastic and I have no bra bulge left. I can only imagine in 6 months once all the swelling stops.

7. Said thanks: