Surgeon
    Dr. John Johnson
    Last Activity
    07-23-2018 04:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default New Here

My name is Darlene and I'm in the process of getting the gastric sleeve. I'm 40 years old with a lot of health issues. My highest weight was 403 and I now weigh 375. I've been overweight most of my life and I'm tired of not being able to do all of the stuff that I want to do. I'm here looking for support and encouragement.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Here

Welcome. i am also new. I am having my second appointment with the surgeon tonight and will make my final decision whether I am having surgery or not. Good luck.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member DesertGal's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    03/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Teng
    Last Activity
    04-22-2021 12:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,835 Times
    Was Thanked 699 Times in 431 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 197 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome ladies. It was me who was new one year ago. I had been heavy on and off through my adult life and it finally got unbearable. All obesity related things that happen, happened. I was so sick of sitting on the sidelines of life and at my annual exam last December 2016 on a Friday late afternoon, my doctor suggested the surgery. It took me that weekend to decide I was going to look into it seriously and by MOnday morning I knew I was going to do it.

I read everything I could over the next several months but I knew I had to go through with this surgery. I was 59 and was always so full of life in the earlier years of my married life but being obese was not only depressing... it physically hurt. I am 5'8" and ballooned up to 270 pounds. I saw a surgeon within a few weeks of making my appointment but had already been to his nutritionist a week after I saw the light bulb go off in my decision to do this. I had a three month waiting period per my insurance to attend the weight management classes and see the nutritionist monthly and lost 43 pounds pre op.

I did everything I was told to do and before my surgery in March 2017, I was OFF my cholesterol lowering meds; high blood pressure meds and no longer diabetic. That doctor's office had me jumping through hoops and I did it. I was approved in early March and had surgery March 24th.

I am down 102 pounds and now wear size medium in tops (compared to 2x and 3x) and size 14 jeans (compared to 22/24). I do have to say though, it helps to move around as in exercise! I was walking for 4 months daily (still do) and then joined a zumba class where I go 4 days a week. I am about to begin a power aquatics class to work on my flabby arms (another story) and I have a treadmill that I run on a few times a week.

It's been hard because my appetite has come back and I DO have cravings but I remind myself HOW I got to be the water buffalo that I was and will not go back. I can't eat much at one time anyway anymore but I make sure I eat better things if I need to snack (string cheese; celery and PBfit -peanut butter powder); pure protein bars; and I make fat bombs when I need some chocolate).

I struggle with water still to this day (before the surgery I could suck down 130 ounces in a day.... I did that during the 3 months pre op) with no problems and I am lucky to get in 60 ounces a day now. I'm working on it.

Good luck on your surgery and your decision to do this. It is life changing.

Height: 5'8"
    Highest Weight: 270 BMI 40.3
    Day of Surgery Weight: 223 / Pre-Op nutrition diet: LOST 47 pounds
    1 Month Weight: 202 (-21 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 64 pounds
    2 Month: Weight: 188 (-14 lbs.) TOTAL LOST: 78 pounds
    6 Month Weight: 169 (-2) BMI: 25.7 TOTAL LOST: 97 pounds
    "If you can't laugh at yourself, life's going to seem a whole lot longer."

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member simplyseahorse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Motamarry
    Last Activity
    10-17-2019 08:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times
    Was Thanked 126 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 735 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to you both! I am so glad you found this website full of helpful and encouraging people!

I am a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist but I have never practiced in the areas of bariatrics or weight loss. I am happy to offer ideas or tips, but please follow your own Nutritionist's advice - she is the expert in the area.

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome Darlene! This is the most amazing thing I have ever done for myself. We are all here to help you along the way and to cheer you on!

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents