Surgeon
    Dr.Rogula UHHospital
    Last Activity
    01-19-2018 02:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Red face Newbie gastric sleeve

Hello everyone, I finally decided to do something for myself and for my health. Struggled with weight for over 2 decades. This last attempt took almost a year to happen. My surgery was December 11,2017. I kept it a secret from everyone close to me, I didn't want any negative feedback and of course all of the questions and comments. Even now when I did tell I get the look and the judgements but I don't care. No one knows all the tests and doctors appointment, blood work, jumping thru hoops to qualify for a life changing and life saving procedure. I had my surgery, and no one acknowledged my recovery,no calls no flowers nothing. It's as if was being punished for having the surgery,have to admit that that hurt,but I now know who truly is my friend and cares.
    I have to admit that the first few weeks I regretted my decision, I felt so alone. But today I feel great, I am down 20 lbs. I feel better day by day. My joints are not hurting as much, I can breathe better and my clothes are getting big on me.
    I had a light bulb moment, I realized how much I depended on food to console me, to make me feel better. I can no longer depend on my comfort foods to heal my pain, to make me feel loved, I have to deal with the issue in other ways, and I grieved I still grieve for my old friends, ice cream, sweets,and all the other unhealthy junk I turned to. It's like I lost a part of me. I had to change my way of thinking my way of eating, I am working on this process which is not an easy task. I eat 2 to 3 bites of food and I am full, does not seem possible.
    Anyway I am and we are all a work in progress. I wish us all much Success. Thank you for this forum.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Aussie Girl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/22/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    08-09-2018 03:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 110 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 73 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 87 Times

Default Re: Newbie gastric sleeve

Welcome Maria! Contrats on your weight lossso far!

I am also new to the forum (surgery on 3 days!!) and marvel at the tremendous help this site has already given me.

When I had my lapband I never told anyone, except one friend, a nurse, who somehow figured it out! I didn't even tell my partner for the first 3 years of our relationship!

I am a very private person and don't like people knowing about my 'stuff' but more than that I didn't want to set expectations that I may not live up too i.e. being successful at losing the weight/fear of failure.

I'm starting to realise that by not telling people I has missing out on support, btw for this surgery I have only told my partner - can't hide that one now and a few close friends. Boy was it liberating. But more than that - I realised by telling people it was helping to hold myself to account and ramp up commitment to this process. I wonder if I'll tell more folks, probably.....

This forum has also really fortified me. Putting you first is the most important, but allowing ourselves to deserve a little help and love works

Highest Weight 128 kg
    Lap Band SW 121 kg
    Sleeve consult 126 kg
    Sleeve SW 118 kg

Gastric Sleeve Member Luv49ers19's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cody
    Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Daniel Leslie
    Last Activity
    09-27-2018 08:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 760 Times
    Was Thanked 547 Times in 375 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 275 Times
    Blog Entries

Big hugs Maria! Fabulous job on the weight loss so far! This change is hard in the best of circumstances! Glad you are putting you first! If you haven't been through or been helping someone through this whole process you really have no idea how hard it can be. Like you said all the hoops! My husband even told me the other day of how hard this is and he watched me do it but still can't believe I did it. Btw he supports me but wasn't a big fan of me going through it. It is a huge change for him as well.

This forum is the very best therapy/support I could have ever asked for! I'm not afraid to ask the embarrassing questions or post pics of me in my underwear. I have never done anything like that before but the wonderful folks here made it worth it. Love everyone here!

Wishing you well on your journey.
    Hw: 260
    Sw: 260 10/23/16
    Weight at time of sleeve 209 (-51)
    Sleeve date 5/23/17
    1 month:187 (-22)
    2 month:178 (-9)
    3 month:172 (-6)
    4 month:162 (-10)
    5 month:150 (-12) (10/28/17) 6 month goal!!!!
    6 month: 143 (-7)
    7 month: 136 (-7)
    8 month: 131 (-5) made goal weight 130 (2/8/2017)
    9 month: 125 (-6)
    10 month: 120 (-5)
    11 month: 115 (-5)
    1 year: 114 (-1)
    16 months: 120 (+6)

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-05-2018 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 285 Times
    Was Thanked 245 Times in 196 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 567 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the site! You are in the right place for amazing support and a wealth of information and experience from countless others traveling along the same journey. Everyone here is fantastic!! As you move forward, be sure to post your experiences so you can help others too. 20 lbs gone!!! Whooooohooooo you are doing GREAT!!!!

Here's wishing you MUCH continued SUCCESS (hugs)

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Good for you Maria!! Put yourself first and forget what others think. There is so much stigma still around WLS. It is sad as we are all just trying to get healthier and save our life. And all the negative people out there are exactly why I only told my immediate family and 4 close friends. To this day, it is my business and I choose to keep it to myself. At any rate, forget all those negative people and come here to surround yourself with some positive vibes. Congrats on your new sleeve! Wishing you continued success on your journey!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents