Surgeon
    Doctor Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-26-2018 01:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Default Not eating enough? What?! :-D

Okay, so I may be considered a veteran, but I must not be one of the smart ones. :-D I lost to my goal weight just over a year post-op. Stayed there for about another year. Really upped my workouts to about an hour and a half of HIIT and weight training, and gained 8 pounds though my clothing size basically stayed the same. Yes, I know, if my clothing size stayed the same, I gained muscle--though I will admit that I have been a little panicked over the numbers on the scale even if I shouldn't be. I do see the muscle--especially in my abs which I am super happy with, though I would like more muscle and definition.

I worked hard to keep my stomach from stretching out because I heard/read all of the horror stories of people gaining the weight back. Volume wise, I can eat no more than around 3/4 a cup of solid food at a time. I work out 5 to 6 days a week for about an hour and 15 minutes or so--sometimes longer. I do HIIT and weight training still. I feel like I have more body fat I could lose, especially my arms and around my back. However, I cannot lose anymore weight for anything! I have about 1000 calories a day give or take a couple hundred calories depending on what's going on on any given day. I can just get in about 60 grams of protein. To get anymore protein, I would need to give up all other food. I just can't physically eat any more.

Most often, when I eat, I get very nauseated and/or a tummy ache. I did recently discover a supplement called Leap that is the equivalent of 4 fruits and veggies a day. I thought if I consumed that, I could try to make the rest of my calories be protein. The thing is, my husband says I don't eat enough calories or protein for my workouts and that's why I can't lose anymore. (I should say that he is totally happy with how I look, but I want to lose about 8 more pounds.)

What have some of you done to get the last bit of weight off and how can I get about 40 more grams of protein in each day--which is what I have been told is the minimum I should be getting with the HIIT and weight training.

Thanks!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Not eating enough? What?! :-D

I am not as far out as you are, so I can't give you any advice.
    I am in maintenance though, and face exactly the same problems as you, I physically can't eat more.
    I'll read along here.
    Good luck to you, I hope, you get the answers you are looking for.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

4. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I'm about the same time out as you and can eat much more. (I was shocked the other day when I could eat a whole small chicken breast.). I have to be really careful, but I'm at goal. I know I could regain in a heartbeat if I went back to how I used to eat, or stopped my exercise routine.

Maybe your body is where it wants to be. For me that seems to be the case, and I'd be totally happy to stay where I am for the rest of my life. Normal BMI, but at the high end. Skinny would be nice, but I don't think that is going to happen. But I have been called "small!"

I would talk to your surgeon about feeling nauseous after eating. That isn't normal after 4 years. It would be worth getting checked out.

6. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I think its a good point that our bodies may have in mind where we should be.
    My dietician (after Fit3D scan) said 129. Well, we'll see. It's only 16 more pounds, but I really don't want to look like a cadever!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

I had my surgery in July, 2011, and my lowest weight came about 18 months after surgery and I felt it was just a little too thin. I'm soon to be 68, and since surgery have only put on 6 pounds from my lowest and am very happy about that. That being said, I also feel a ping of fear every time I feel I can eat a little too much and working in a very robust bariatric surgery center, am seeing more and more revisions. These revisions seem to be the patients who have the most complications. I am "bound and determined" to not gain back my weight and just take it one day at a time to work the program as well as I can. As sraebaer says, I keep up the exercise routine I've established and even add to it and really just stick to basics, proteins first and if I feel like I may be gaining a few pounds; I just have protein for 2 meals and a light dinner for about a week and "bam" it comes off.
    There's no magic about bariatric surgery; I personally feel I just have to try each day to be my best and remind myself that I don't want to go back to what I was.
    Continued success to all!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Can you say, what the main reason for those regains seems to be?
    Are these patients that didn't stick to the program?

You are doing great after six years!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member decemberroses's Avatar
    Name
    Tracy
    Surgery date
    03/11/2014
    Surgeon
    Doctor Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-26-2018 01:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jerzeygirl View Post
    I had my surgery in July, 2011, and my lowest weight came about 18 months after surgery and I felt it was just a little too thin. I'm soon to be 68, and since surgery have only put on 6 pounds from my lowest and am very happy about that. That being said, I also feel a ping of fear every time I feel I can eat a little too much and working in a very robust bariatric surgery center, am seeing more and more revisions. These revisions seem to be the patients who have the most complications. I am "bound and determined" to not gain back my weight and just take it one day at a time to work the program as well as I can. As sraebaer says, I keep up the exercise routine I've established and even add to it and really just stick to basics, proteins first and if I feel like I may be gaining a few pounds; I just have protein for 2 meals and a light dinner for about a week and "bam" it comes off.
    There's no magic about bariatric surgery; I personally feel I just have to try each day to be my best and remind myself that I don't want to go back to what I was.
    Continued success to all!
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchSleeve View Post
    Can you say, what the main reason for those regains seems to be?
    Are these patients that didn't stick to the program?

You are doing great after six years!
    Great questions, DutchSleeve! I think if I knew more about why some gain back the weight, I might have a better understanding. I absolutely live in fear of this!

jerzeygirl, maybe I'll try something along the lines of the protein for 2 meals and a light dinner for about a week and see what happens. Otherwise, it may be as sraebaer and Annie said. I just live in such fear of weight gain, and I think it is a psychological block to eating sometimes.

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-21-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 774 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 169 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,104 Times

I have switched to Weight Watchers and it seems to be working so far. I think I needed to switch things up from low carb. I'm not hungry all the time now, I think I felt deprived before and my body was craving food too. I'll let everyone know the longer term results. The farther out I get from surgery, the more I find that tinman is right...

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't think you are eating enough either. For the amount you are working out, 1000 calories is not enough. I would contact a nutritionist or the surgeon's office.